Adding Tact To Your Training

This is a discussion on Adding Tact To Your Training within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tact? I ain't got no tact. I don't need no stinkin' tact!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Adding Tact To Your Training

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Tact? I ain't got no tact. I don't need no stinkin' tact!
    archer51 and Sarge65 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

I second the "Yes, and I have a license for it" response. There's nothing else that needs to be said. Going on the offensive or trying to be overly-clever to compensate for being spotted will just make you more suspect than need be.

To my knowledge I've never been made but I also pocket carry which is by far one of the most discrete manners of carrying.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    To my knowledge I've never been made but I also pocket carry which is by far one of the most discrete manners of carrying.
    The most discreet would be SmartCarry, if someone notices you're carrying in that - they want to buy you dinner and make you breakfast.

VIP Member
    The only time I have been made was the evening of my niece's wedding rehearsal. We had been together for about 7 hours at the rehearsal, dinner and then at the house. When I hugged her goodnight, she bumped her hand on my G30.

She asked if I was carrying and I told her I had been all night. She was surprised that she had not noticed. She knew I had a permit and her folks and brother also carry, so it was not a big deal nor was she someone I was worried about noticing. For others, when I am more concerned about being made, I act so that I will not be made.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

People skills are definitely part of a good defense. Learning how to avoid situations, defuse elevated tensions, respond to questions that might be either probing, inquisitive or innocuous ... Absolutely part of learning how to play well in the sand box with others.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree with you ccw9mm. These are the actual encounters we face more offten. People have a right to feel differently. We have an obligation to stay cool and non-combative, and the right to carry.
    minimalbrat likes this.

I only got made once, by a hugging friend. I just smiled sweetly and said "don't worry"
    I don't feel the need to explain much.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Re: Adding Tact To Your Training

I haven't had that experience yet. But mentally I'm prepared to not make a big deal of it. "Never explain, never apologize" works for me in most situations so I expect it to work if I'm somehow made while carrying. Although secretly I'm dying to use a phrase I picked up on another forum: "that's my thoracic perforator, it keeps my heart from stopping".

Sent from my GS 3 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Tact? I ain't got no tact. I don't need no stinkin' tact!
    That's the nice thing about being retired E-8's.
    Sarge65 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Another phrase that comes to mind is, "it's OK, I'm one of the good guys". I used that a few times a couple of months ago while in the city shopping for a jacket and a new motorcycle vest, had to see if the LCP or .45 fit the pockets or caused it to hang funny. The Colt has to stay on the belt or a shoulder rig, even a Carharrt jacket cant support it properly. Note; In no way did i imply that i was a LEO, but since my local Sheriff personally approved me for CCW, I can safely assume I am on his "nice" list.
    Paymeister likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Hummm.. interesting question .. Personally, I don't "react" ... no reason to "react" . If someone else is 'reacting' ..... I just tell them hi and start a cordial conversation about something else ... and go on about whatever it was I am doing.

If you are calm and non-chalant about it, as if it means nothing, they will que off of that.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Like it or not, how your response is perceived can be a reflection on all of us who carry.

I'm still of the 'you catch more flies with honey than vinegar' frame of mind.

I do not think I owe people explanations, but I also would not be offensive (or defensive).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

jcm
    Was made once by my niece. She approached me to give me an unexpected hug, and as such took the "low road", sweeping her hand right across my G19 IWB. I just chuckled and asked her if she was trying to frisk me! Most of the family knows I carry, so no big deal to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    The most discreet would be SmartCarry, if someone notices you're carrying in that - they want to buy you dinner and make you breakfast.
    Either that, or you just became eligible for a Darwin award.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links