Adding Tact To Your Training

This is a discussion on Adding Tact To Your Training within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just reading a thread about concealed carry oopses and it really made me concerned about how some people act when they are made, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Adding Tact To Your Training

Adding Tact To Your Training

I was just reading a thread about concealed carry oopses and it really made me concerned about how some people act when they are made, and gave me the idea that perhaps training for those moments might not be a bad idea.

What I'm reading shows people who act guilty, cover up and scramble when they are made - this doesn't look good or shed a positive light in my opinion.

What are some examples of how you would react, if for example you were shopping and a child noticed your gun and shouted 'Look, he has a gun!'.

2. Remove Ads

I'd smile and respond "Thank you, it's OK, I have a license"
    Glhadiator, mprp, OldVet and 3 others like this.

It's nice, huh? Where's yours?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Good idea for a thread, but I'd change it to "Adding tact and common sense to your training".
    Arborigine likes this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I'd smile and respond "Thank you, it's OK, I have a license"
    My response ^^^

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

I remember hearing one guy whose gun fell out of the holster while exiting his vehicle (seat belt caught the grip) at a gas station and it skittered across the concrete, to the shock of the family in the minivan next to him. He picked it up, holstered it and said "Dang, I've been trying to teach it to stop doing that."
    mkh likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    I would run, since the kid obviously has x-ray vision.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    i smile and say, "I've got those pictures of my grandkids in my wallet." Grandkids difuse most situations and if the person still looks shocked I say, "I dicided long ago to make certain I'm around to buy them cookies."
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Before Virginia changed the law to allow concealed carry in establishments that served alcohol, the only way to carry was OC. Wife and I were on our way home from NoVA and stopped to eat. I switched to OC and headed into the restaurant. Woman behind me whispered to me "Sir, do you know your showing?". I just smiled and said "Yes, I do." Then went about my business.

Now that I think about it, I hope she was referring to my gun!!
    OldVet, Chavak, Brad426 and 5 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It doesn't bother me to feel embarrassed once or twice. I'm sure you might have read my post in that discussion where indeed i was made by a loud child that happens to notice my gun in Walmart. I was very embarrassed at the time. I might be new here to the forums, but i would like to say that my right to carry is a private matter in public. I use a iwb holster, and i strive not to be noticed. it doesn't bother me forever, nor do i feel "guilty" to carry. But, in a sense i respect other people's opinions on seeing guns in public. And this strives me to better myself in concealment. I think if someone pointed a finger wag at me it would be a different matter. I strongly believe in self defense measures and i am definitely not assumed in that matter!

My intention isn't to call out anyone, the thread just made me think that perhaps being aware of the possibility of being 'made' might help us prepare for it when/if it happens.

There were a lot of examples, that one just happened to be the one used... no disrespect intended if it was yours I used, but there were others very similar if I recall correctly.

We all like to think we're masters of concealment, but things happen - why not try and be more prepared for them.

Great idea for a thread Thunder71. I haven't been made yet but if I were to be, I hope my reaction would be the same as what Rock and Glock mentioned whether it's to a kid or an adult.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Yeah, I am trying to put myself in the position mentally and keep coming up with 'Oops, sorry I do have a permit to carry that' and continue about my business.

In reality I'd probably say something like "Oops, permit! I do have a sorry you too!"

:-) No offense taken. That situation was a positive training experience for me! I get a lot of thumbs up for consealment from friends and family. I now use a MTAC holster and only by shirts that help. rarely ever get made. The people who do notice me lately are also carrying, takes one to know one kinda deal. And I always appreciate a good conversation started by the nod wink that comes naturaly. Side note I am very pleased to meet all of you, as I am a noob here on these fourms. But so far it's been great talking with people that can relate!

I think that taking a relaxed approach to a response from someone seeing your sidearm would have much better odds of success than a reaction that puts the deer in the headlights look on your face as well. I also think that responding with, "I have a license" is something that everyone will understand rather than saying "I have a CCW or a CWP or LTCF or whatever it is that we may respond with. The word LICENSE is universal and some people may not even know that such a thing exists, not to mention the acronym for it.
    Thunder71 and miller_man like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links