I want a georgia ccp, but heres the the thing...

I want a georgia ccp, but heres the the thing...

This is a discussion on I want a georgia ccp, but heres the the thing... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In 03, I was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon.i was given probation, but I couldn't pay it, so I stopped reporting (stupid me). I ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By Brad426

Thread: I want a georgia ccp, but heres the the thing...

Question I want a georgia ccp, but heres the the thing...

In 03, I was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon.i was given probation, but I couldn't pay it, so I stopped reporting (stupid me). I got pulled over in august 11 for the first time since and did 1 month for the probation violation. My debt to ga paid, should there be a problem with getting my license, when the law says 5 years must pass after any misdemeanor of concealed weapons to get the ccp?

Read the last line of your own post!! What do YOU think? JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

GH
    If you were charged with a misdemeanor & your state law says you must wait 5 years then that's your answer. If the charge is dated from '03 or Aug '12 could make the difference. The [I]original[I] offense happened in '03 but technically your were offending until '12 is the way I see it. I'm not a lawyer. It's best to check with your local District Attorney's office or some other official source.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

It will start counting from the end of your probation period. So whenever it was supposed to end is when the clock starts. However, like was said above you didn't finish probation you violated and weren't picked up until 2011 so I don't know. I do know the probation violation is a seperate charge and can also be considered a dis-qualifier too.

...convicted of carrying a concealed weapon...
    ...stopped reporting...
    ...probation violation...
    So, NOW you feel like you're entitled to a concealed permit? Gee, did you think there weren't gonna' be any residual BS from you're previous wise choices?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Talk to someone at Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news. They can probably suggest an attorney.

BTW - Georgia does not issue a ccp, and haven't for years. It's a GWL.
    Hodad likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Don't know the laws of GA, but I would guess it is 5 years from completion of probation, not the start. My guess is it will be 2016 before your eligible for your permit.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    It's just semantics, but you are exactly right high pockets it is a Georgia Weapons Carry License.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Hey new to the forum, I also live in GA and when I get off this deployment, I also want to get a carry license. I'm new to this, also never having one before. But anyway, has there been changes to carry laws after 9/11? I hear its easy(er) for military folks to get a concealed carry lic. Is this true?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Offernoexcuse View Post
    In 03, I was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon.i was given probation, but I couldn't pay it, so I stopped reporting (stupid me). I got pulled over in august 11 for the first time since and did 1 month for the probation violation. My debt to ga paid, should there be a problem with getting my license, when the law says 5 years must pass after any misdemeanor of concealed weapons to get the ccp?
    We call ourselves law abiding gun owners for a reason.

Hire a qualified attorney and get your legal advice from him/her.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No comment.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurk1377 View Post
    Hey new to the forum, I also live in GA and when I get off this deployment, I also want to get a carry license. I'm new to this, also never having one before. But anyway, has there been changes to carry laws after 9/11? I hear its easy(er) for military folks to get a concealed carry lic. Is this true?
    I don't know about if being easier for you to get a Georgia Weapons License, as we all go through the same process when applying.
    However, as long as you are active duty you can carry without a GWL, with less off limits locations than GWL holders. Go over to GEORGIA CARRY.Org and /or GeorgiaPacking.Org for detailed information on carry laws on Georgia.
    Merry Christmas and thank you for your service!

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Offernoexcuse View Post
    People like you are the problem in America. You want to break the law, get caught, then avoid the punishment until you can't any longer, and then decide you want to do things legit when doing things against the law are no longer in your best interest. Then you think your "debt to GA is paid" and the pesky little law about not getting a ccw for 5 years after the misdemeanor of illegally carrying a concealed weapon shouldn't apply to you. Any other special treatment you're looking for?

Welcome to the forum?
    daddysgirl likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Links