Carry at school - Page 2

Carry at school

This is a discussion on Carry at school within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't speak from personal experience because I don't have my CCW permit yet ( class and testing this Sunday). However a long time friend ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Carry at school

I can't speak from personal experience because I don't have my CCW permit yet ( class and testing this Sunday). However a long time friend has reccommended I look at "crossbreed" holsters, they have an inside the waist band holster that clips to your belt and still allows the option of a shirt worn tucked in or outside. Not sure if thats the norm for waist band holsters, seemed like a good option.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    keep it on you less chance of theft or loss.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by Joshp689 View Post
    I am a new student at Utah Valley University, a college in Orem Utah. I was wondering how you all felt about taking my weapon from my side to my backpack while in class.
    Of all the other options, I would say it's a risky idea.

As others have pointed out: something like SmartCarry might be preferable.

IMO ...

While in class or in public, removing a weapon from a belt holster into a backpack? Given how many people misconstrue things (often badly so), for my money I'd try to find someplace suitably private to do any disarming or rearming. At least, until you know that the folks nearby are going to see it as acceptable aid not threatening. Uncertain what your state's statutes say on the matter of public handling/display of deadly weapons, in such ways. Might be worth reviewing, in case it's capable of being legally taken as menacing/brandishing.

Plus, a known firearm sitting in a backpack might be an inviting target for someone. Folks will see it put there. Folks will then know you do that sort of thing. Might well be inspiring enough of a thought for an enterprising thief to step up to the plate.

As well, you're now faced with having to reholster at some point. Gonna do that in a public setting as well?

Could do the changeover in a nearby restroom. Possibly carrying an ankle or pocket rig into the class, then rearming with the full belt rig elsewhere. Or, remain armed with that rig, if it's acceptable on campus and in that crowd.

I appreciate the problem of preferring to be carrying in a different manner, say if it's a very hot day, or if you're about to give a presentation and carrying would be a distraction. But there ought to be better alternatives than publicly disarming.

On a range or other spot where folks expect the handling of guns in such ways, I'd say it's not likely to be an issue at all. But in a classroom or other public setting, particularly one likely to be filled with any number of knee-jerk, reactive, horribly judgmental folks who get concerned about guns being brought out into the open amongst a crowd ...

'Nuff said.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't understand the need for "deep concealment". Concealed is concealed. Choose a holster that is secure and keeps the gun available quickly. Choose a cover garment that can be swept back easily for access to the gun. You may be concerned about "printing". Be assured, no one is paying attention. Be mindful of upward stretching movements, but just live your life and be safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links