Carry at school

This is a discussion on Carry at school within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a new student at Utah Valley University, a college in Orem Utah. I was wondering how you all felt about taking my weapon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Carry at school

Carry at school

I am a new student at Utah Valley University, a college in Orem Utah. I was wondering how you all felt about taking my weapon from my side to my backpack while in class.

The following link states that at UVU you can conceal carry if you're legal to do so.
    https://www.uvu.edu/police/
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

2. Remove Ads

GH
    If it's legal go for it. I'd keep it a secret & conceal well. Many of our institutes of higher learning are packed with anti- 2A liberals. Your grades might suffer if one of your profs finds out.
    .45acpguy likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I am not so sure I'd remove my weapon from my person and put it in my backpack...Since you are "legal", it appears (reading between the lines) that you might be worrying about either exposure or someone making you...I think that I would perhaps research some deep concealment type holsters, for campus carry, and keep my weapon on my person. I'd worry much more about someone picking up my back pack and walking off with my weapon inside, than being made...JMO
    SLS075, Ksgunner and BkCo1 like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    I would say leave the weapon holstered and on your person. A back pack can get left or stolen. Plus if you were to need it in a hurry, on you is better for that purpose.
    Anubis, Edward7 and Mark IL NM like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Any ideas on a "deep concealment holster"?
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

I'd keep it on me...

1. Transfer from on to off body carry is an opportunity to expose the weapon to a third party, which could be used to make a case that you were not keeping it concealed, therefore in violation.
    2. I don't care for off body carry, the only exception, barely, being for a purpose made purse for women. The kind with a special pocket for the weapon, on which I think (if you're going to carry it), your hand should be most of the time.

The problem with any other bag/backpack/briefcase is that you have to go in the top to pull up and out... The purses have a pocket on the side with a side opening.

I'd go for any tuckable holster which you find comfortable and has retention by your belt at least... But that means you're going to tuck in your shirt every day. (not really, because most of 'em do double duty as an IWB un-tucked.... but your cover garment better not blow in the wind... and go well below the muzzle of your firearm (while it's in the holster).

Carry on, be discrete, don't tell everybody at school you've got a gun (and, back when I went to college that meant DON'T TELL ANYONE.) and be vigilant.

Good luck
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Joshp689 View Post
    Any ideas on a "deep concealment holster"?
    Smartcarry. NO knock offs. LINK

Belly band that works with your weapon of choice.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sponsor
    Isn't living in Utah great? Very gun friendly state. I'd suggest carrying it on you- Safer for both you and your gun (less chance of loss or theft, and more available when you need it).

On a side note, I happen to know a sweet holster shop based in Logan! You should check it out :)

Thanks,
    Clay

Agreed. Keep it on you. What if someone sees you putting it into the bag? Might just give them cause to snatch yer stuff. Then you've got a bigger problem.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Carry at school

+1 on smartcarry and bellyband for good concealment on body.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Keep it on you; MUCH less likely to get stolen, and easier to keep people from seeing it by accident.

I'm a firm advocate of the N82 Tactical holsters- I have two of them and they've never let me down. (they're REALLY comfortable and not very expensive)
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

A great many campuses are non gun period on you concealed or otherwise not even permitted in dorm room.
    Not a slap on the wrist either if you get caught,fine,penalties,no grades right you never existed as far as grades.
    So unless its extremely enlightened leave the gun at home.
    Lastly even if permitted someone yells gun you are instant target for campus security,they will say over your body he had a gun,justified.
    Consider the shootings on campus and how you with a gun will be treated.They wont ask you anything,just fill you full of holes at the least provocation.
    Liberals served him right he had a gun.
    I worked on a campus,it was verbodden anywhere even in a leased home or dorm room ,state owned.
    I have a cc permit,am an advocate of gun rights,also an advocate of laws and obeying them school isnt a place to carry at besides all felonys within what 1000 yard are doubled.So carrying ,brandishing you would get out in 2-6,and never have the right to bear arms again.
    Solution is leave the gun at home.Or do you plan on carrying into court rooms,city halls etc as well?Some places not good idea or even legal,one state senator is now finding out cant fly with a loaded 25 even in luggage.
    My permit covers most places providing they dont have a sign on the door prohibiting,but not all.

Get a small gun, that's all I can think of. Your in a place where even if you can carry, you cant.Know what I mean?

Carry at school

I wouldn't stick in the backpack if I were you, just keep it on your side where you won't have to worry about it.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
    A great many campuses are non gun period on you concealed or otherwise not even permitted in dorm room.
    Not a slap on the wrist either if you get caught,fine,penalties,no grades right you never existed as far as grades.
    So unless its extremely enlightened leave the gun at home.
    Lastly even if permitted someone yells gun you are instant target for campus security,they will say over your body he had a gun,justified.
    Consider the shootings on campus and how you with a gun will be treated.They wont ask you anything,just fill you full of holes at the least provocation.

Liberals served him right he had a gun.
    I worked on a campus,it was verbodden anywhere even in a leased home or dorm room ,state owned.
    I have a cc permit,am an advocate of gun rights,also an advocate of laws and obeying them school isnt a place to carry at besides all felonys within what 1000 yard are doubled.So carrying ,brandishing you would get out in 2-6,and never have the right to bear arms again.
    Solution is leave the gun at home.Or do you plan on carrying into court rooms,city halls etc as well?Some places not good idea or even legal,one state senator is now finding out cant fly with a loaded 25 even in luggage.
    My permit covers most places providing they dont have a sign on the door prohibiting,but not all.
    I must say, I disagree with almost everything you've said here.

In Utah, a person who has a permit to carry concealed is fully within their rights to carry on a state funded college campus. The OP mentioned that it was legal in his original post. We are one of the few (possibly only, I'm not sure) states that specifically allows it and prohibits schools from limiting concealed carry or ownership of firearms in school dorm rooms.

However, I've bolded the parts that concern me. In our state, there is much less of an irrational fear of guns, and having a third party see you concealed carry handgun is rarely an issue. You may get a talked to by the police just to satisfy a student who was concerned, but you certainly don't have a greater chance of being shot than you do carrying anywhere else in public.

You said that even if he was well within his rights to carry on campus (which he is) he should leave the gun at home. How is it going to help him if it is at home? You are suggesting that he should voluntarily choose not to exercise his right based upon the belief that someone seeing his gun would result in complete chaos and him being shot by the police. That is the mentality that really concerns me in the gun world, saying that you shouldn't exercise your rights because it might scare someone is hardly different than taking those rights away for the same reason.

The final thing I disagree with is the statement "school isn't a place to carry". That is like saying school isn't a place you should have a right to defend yourself. I've heard this so much in the media. The interview some expert who will swear they support the right to self defense with a concealed handgun, but then somehow determine that a college campus is some "sacred" place where those rights should be denied.

I take issue with anyone who claims to support the second amendment, the right to self defense, and concealed carry, but in the same sentence would happily disarm my wife when she is walking back to her car from a late class. I just don't get it.

-Clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links