Carrying your permit??

This is a discussion on Carrying your permit?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have this problem when walking the dog. I now have a copy CP stored in the Daily carry storage box. Always grab it on ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Carrying your permit??

I have this problem when walking the dog.

I now have a copy CP stored in the Daily carry storage box. Always grab it on the way out.

2. Remove Ads

Here is Michigans law on Carrying your CPL....

An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.
    Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:
    First offense = State Civil Infraction – $500 fine and 6-month CCW license suspension.
    Second offense = State Civil Infraction – $1000 fine and CCW license revocation.
    An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have the license in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.
    Failure to possess CCW license when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and a $100.00 fine.
    Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:
    His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
    His or her driver license or personal identification card
    Failure to show CCW license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.
    A pistol carried in violation of numbers 1, 2, or 3 is subject to immediate seizure by a police officer.

If a weapon is seized for failure to possess a CCW license while carrying a concealed pistol:

Individual has 45 days in which to display their license to carry a concealed pistol to the law enforcement agency that seized the pistol and the pistol shall be returned.

If the individual does not display their license to carry a concealed pistol within 45 days the pistol is subject to forfeiture.

If I'm wearing pants, I have my wallet. May not have any money, but the IDs are there. I've had to go back home for money once or twice, but I haven't forgotten the wallet. My pants are the equivalent to a purse for me, if it doesn't fit in the pants or mount on my belt, it doesn't get carried. I really have no idea what other women carry in purses that requires so much space! LoL but I do need a new holster for my iphone
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I like the idea of a spare copy. We can not get one, but a photocopy might help on the off chance you forget it. What would worry me is someone seeing it and realizing A. you have guns, maybe in car from time to time. and B. you and your vehicle aren't at home, maybe they should check on your stash.

Here if you do not have it and are carrying it is a big No No
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    I have this problem when walking the dog.
    Same here. I don't have my wallet on me when I am at home, so there are times where I will grab the dog for a walk and forget my wallet. Other than that, the wallet and gun go together all the time.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I like the idea of a spare copy. We can not get one, but a photocopy might help on the off chance you forget it. What would worry me is someone seeing it and realizing A. you have guns, maybe in car from time to time. and B. you and your vehicle aren't at home, maybe they should check on your stash.

Here if you do not have it and are carrying it is a big No No
    In my house, if they find my permit copy they have also found where the guns live. I have the permit in an ID holder with money clip. just drops in a pocket or clips IWB using the money clip for gym shorts.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    After reading a few of the responses I decided to take photos of my CC Permit and my driver's license on my phone where I can get to them

if necessary. Will that satisfy a LE official? I don't know, but as a last resort it's worth a try.

If I leave home without either my wallet or my phone on my person I probably deserve whatever happens.

Thanks for the idea.
    Nebraska12 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Re: Carrying your permit??

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    After reading a few of the responses I decided to take photos of my CC Permit and my driver's license on my phone where I can get to them

if necessary. Will that satisfy a LE official? I don't know, but as a last resort it's worth a try.

If I leave home without either my wallet or my phone on my person I probably deserve whatever happens.

Thanks for the idea.
    I'm going to do the same. CHP and SNs and store them securely. Not a bad idea.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

In Indiana, license is not required on your property. If you're out and about and forget your license.......

Indiana Code:

IC 35-47-2-24
    Indictment or information; defendant's burden to prove exemption or license; arrest, effect of production of valid license, or establishment of exemption
    Sec. 24. (a) In an information or indictment brought for the enforcement of any provision of this chapter, it is not necessary to negate any exemption specified under this chapter, or to allege the absence of a license required under this chapter. The burden of proof is on the defendant to prove that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, or that he has a license as required under this chapter.
    (b) Whenever a person who has been arrested or charged with a violation of section 1 of this chapter presents a valid license to the prosecuting attorney or establishes that he is exempt under section 2 of this chapter, any prosecution for a violation of section 1 of this chapter shall be dismissed immediately, and all records of an arrest or proceedings following arrest shall be destroyed immediately.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.
    That being said, Indiana just uses a printed piece of colored paper, so I have copies of my License in my wallet, range bag, truck, and a few copies in my gun safe.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Taking a pic is a good idea for convenience however if your phone is lost or stolen you might be completely screwed. That is an identity thief's gold mine.

Re: Carrying your permit??

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    Taking a pic is a good idea for convenience however if your phone is lost or stolen you might be completely screwed. That is an identity thief's gold mine.
    Ummmm, same goes for your wallet.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

The only concern I might have with having a photocopy in the glove box. If a BG breaks into your vehicle and goes through the glovebox (highly likely), he might notice the license and make mental note to come visit your house, knowing you just might have a gun or two laying around.

In WI, we are required to carry the permit when we are carrying. If we don't have it when requested by LEO, we face up to a $25 fine. If, however, we can produce it within 48 hours to agency that requested it, fine will be voided.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I keep mine in my wallet with my DL so when I go to town I have both. When I go for a bike ride, I grab both too, I used to always bring my DL anyway in case I got hit by a car or some craziness where I needed ID so it's already habit to grab it, now I just grab the piece of plastic behind it as well. The only place I've been where I've forgotten to grab my wallet is if I pop over to a neighbor's house. This thread prompted me to look up FL which states we have to carry our license along with with valid ID - non criminal violation if we don't have it, $25 fine.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I am getting older and the older I get the more forgetful I seem to get. Many times I leave my house and while driving realize that I do not have my wallet with me--drivers license, CCWP, money--you name it--it is secure at the house. It happens and that is when you turn aroundand drive home with a keen eye on every conceivable driving law. Should I be stopped I can only hope that the LEO has had a good day and realizes that this can happen and is at least willing, if local, to perhaps give me a ride home and excuse my lack of CCWP. In the end it is my fault and my responsibilty and I will accept whatever. I find it hard to believe that in your home, if you have your firearm on you that your wallet must be in your pocket--sounds a little draconian but if it is state law--so be it. Bottom line: DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE, CHECK OUT YOUR STATE LAW AND READ IT CAREFULLY--IF NOT CLEAR TRY AND CHECK WITH A KNOWLEDGEABLE LOCAL LEGAL AUTHORITY, DO NOT JUST BELIEVE WHAT FORUM MEMBERS TELL YOU--THEY CAN BE WRONG.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links