Carrying your permit??

This is a discussion on Carrying your permit?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple scenerios for you...Have any of you left the house and remembered your gun but forgot your wallet/permit to carry? Or say your working ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Carrying your permit??

Carrying your permit??

A couple scenerios for you...Have any of you left the house and remembered your gun but forgot your wallet/permit to carry? Or say your working around the house with your gun concealed on you but you dont have your permit on you, its in the house just not on you? Whats everyones opinion on this or any similiar type scenerios. I am close to getting my permit and being legal and I have wondered about this. Thanks everyone!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    In NC you don't need anything at home...you can do whatever you wish at home...Now if you go out and for any reason (license check or anything else) and get caught with the weapon on you without your permit you are in deep doodoo here in NC.
    pir8fan likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    It will depend on your state laws. The first scenario could be legal problems. To the best of my knowledge most states do not require a permit to carry on your own property, so in the second case would not be an issue.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

So with the legality reason is it safe to say you turn around and go home and get your permit or just store the gun in your vehicle for the duration of your outing?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    IN THEORY, it's not a big deal in FL.

FS 790.06 1. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.

The LEO who has cause to request your license and ID may take a different view.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

While my rule is that my wallet is always with me at all times (permit is in the wallet) I did have a moment in my grocery store where I had to ask them to hold my groceries for me while I went home to get my wallet to pay for the groceries.

Can't believe that I did that--it does happen.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Around my property, I don't have my permit since it is not required in my state. But I never forget to bring it when outside my property. I don't leave home without it unless I don't plan to carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lokin4deer View Post
    So with the legality reason is it safe to say you turn around and go home and get your permit or just store the gun in your vehicle for the duration of your outing?
    Personally, here in VA I wouldn't worry about it, but VA is very OC friendly, and that is what I'd do. In a state that isn't OC friendly, or OC with permit, I'd return home for my permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by lokin4deer View Post
    For me Yes, if I forget my permit and I have my gun on me I turn around immediately and go home and get it. The hassle of not having it is just too great for me personally and I do not feel like giving the state anymore money than I have to.

VIP Member
    Here, No permit needed on own property. Permit is linked to the DL and both must be in your possession if you are armed (some exceptions for car carry but they apply to folks who aren't licensed).

I doubt if I have ever left the house without my wallet after 18, two million years ago.

It is not a bad idea to keep a copy of both somewhere hidden in your car, and I have copies on an iPhone as well as
    in the cloud. So, if my wallet is lost or stolen I can at least show evidence that I am licensed (both DL and CHL) and
    gain access to the license numbers.

I have no clue if that would be sufficient to prevent an arrest for carrying illegally but I suppose that would depend on the personality of whoever had reason to inquire and the totality of the circumstances under which the inquiry was being made.
    YMMV and will vary greatly by the state in which you are licensed and carrying.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

If I have pants on, I have my wallet. I could lose a few fingers and still be able to count the times I've forgotten my wallet on one hand.

If I did forget it and realized so, I'd turn right around and go get it. I hardly ever carry much cash, so I'd have to turn around.

Not worried about it on my own property but then again, if I have pants on, I have my wallet.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Here, No permit needed on own property. Permit is linked to the DL and both must be in your possession if you are armed (some exceptions for car carry but they apply to folks who aren't licensed).

I doubt if I have ever left the house without my wallet after 18, two million years ago.

It is not a bad idea to keep a copy of both somewhere hidden in your car, and I have copies on an iPhone as well as
    in the cloud. So, if my wallet is lost or stolen I can at least show evidence that I am licensed (both DL and CHL) and
    gain access to the license numbers.

I have no clue if that would be sufficient to prevent an arrest for carrying illegally but I suppose that would depend on the personality of whoever had reason to inquire and the totality of the circumstances under which the inquiry was being made.
    YMMV and will vary greatly by the state in which you are licensed and carrying.
    I keep a copy in the glovebox as well. Hadn't taken a picture with the iPhone, but will tonight (I think it may be a good backup, and at least last till my wife could get my CCW to the scene). I have caught myself halfway to the bus stop with the kids, and no license on me. But didn't seem like a big deal, as I was in my neighborhood.

One in my wallet, one in the glove box of all 4 vehicles. I cannot say as I have had that problem yet, now I will say "yet" is a very big three letter word.
    I would turn around if I could, otherwise I would stow it away properly.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Thanks guys I like the idea of a spare in the truck. When I get my permit from the DMV I will ask them if I can buy a second one just in case!!!

I have a wallet with a removable ID holder. I keep my DL license and CHP in it. When dressing in the morning the ID holer goes in my back pocket. Very thin, compact, and always with me. I have mistakenly left home without my wallet but never my CHP or DL license.
    U.S. Navy vet
    "...got a shotgun, a rifle and a .45........"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links