Carrying to a show in the "Cultural District" of Pittsburgh?

This is a discussion on Carrying to a show in the "Cultural District" of Pittsburgh? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I , our 2 boys, a buddy of mine and his wife and daughter are going to a showing of A Christmas ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Anubis

Thread: Carrying to a show in the "Cultural District" of Pittsburgh?

Carrying to a show in the "Cultural District" of Pittsburgh?

My wife and I , our 2 boys, a buddy of mine and his wife and daughter are going to a showing of A Christmas Carol this weekend in Pittsburgh at the Benedum Center. After the show we plan to take the kids down to Market Square to see their Christmas display and grab dinner somewhere.

I'm pretty sure the Benedum has a no firearms policy and I don't want to cause a scene at the entrance if I'm carrying and they have metal detectors. I also don't relish the idea of not carrying while in downtown Pittsburgh or leaving my pistol in our vehicle while at the show and having to go back to retrieve it after.

The general area is okay in some places and not so okay in others. Not really sure what the best solution is and would like to hear others opinions. Thought about calling the Benedum and just asking what their policy is but I'm wondering if that would create more issues or not.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Does PA law prohibit CC at Benedum? Do "no guns" signs carry the force of law?

VIP Member
    I could find nothing on their website saying guns were prohibited. The way I see it, you have several options:

1. Cruise by prior and look for signs prohibiting carrying.
    2. Take your chance and show up, hoping it's not prohibited.
    3. Lock your gun in your car (in a security box) and retrieve it after the show.
    4. Leave your gun at home, and carry less than lethal form of protection (OC spray).
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Who owns the facility? Is it privately owned or government owned? Here in Georgia, that makes a big difference.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I could find nothing on their website saying guns were prohibited. The way I see it, you have several options:

1. Cruise by prior and look for signs prohibiting carrying.
    2. Take your chance and show up, hoping it's not prohibited.
    3. Lock your gun in your car (in a security box) and retrieve it after the show.
    4. Leave your gun at home, and carry less than lethal form of protection (OC spray).
    Yep...what he said.
    This is my gun, these are my bullets, this is my training, this is my honor, together these stand to defend all that is dear to me.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
    Thought about calling the Benedum and just asking what their policy is but I'm wondering if that would create more issues or not.
    Don't give them ideas; if the management didn't have an anti policy before your call, they would very likely have one 2 hours later.
    jem102 and atctimmy like this.

Administrator
    My Wife has been there but, it's been a while since she was there....and since then there was that shooting at Western Psychiatric and due to that shooting incident some places have installed detectors but, Mrs. QK does not recall there having ever been metal detectors at the Benedum.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Just an update in case it helps anyone else. It turns out the show was at the Byham Theater not the Benedum and all went well. No signs or anything and no metal detectors. Cc'd my Shield fine and had a nice time in the city.

Just went

I just went to the Benedum Center and there are no signs, metal detectors or people wanding. I just carried my Kimber pepper blaster since my wife said after paying for the tickets if I got thrown out I was on my own. She was going to watch the show without me and she had the car keys.

Links