Learned some things today

This is a discussion on Learned some things today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I took the btc m&p9c to the range today and I learned some things. First... I need longer t shirts. I was wearing a ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Doodle
  • 2 Post By nwbackpacker

Thread: Learned some things today

So I took the btc m&p9c to the range today and I learned some things.

First... I need longer t shirts. I was wearing a t shirt under an unbuttoned casual shirt with a dark print. Holster was my home made kydex iwb.
    When sweeping the shirt and drawing the pistol, my under t shirt kept getting pulled untucked and then falling over the holster sweat shield. This made re-holstering an issue.

Second... (and more importantly) I'm rusty. Between botched draws and botched reloads I realized that I WILL MOST DEFINITELY be investing in some training this spring/summer. I at least my accuracy and speed (on a good draw) was good. In the mean time I'll practice dry firing from the holster around the house.

I burned through 100 rounds today all at the 3 yard line, doing nothing but (from a casual upright posture) draw (while taking a step and coming into a fighting stance) fire twice center of mass and then reholster, repeat. I would top load my 12 rounder after chambering (13 rounds in gun) and purposely not count how many I'd fired since my last reload so my reload would fall in the middle of a double tap as a surprise.

Finding a range in the North side of Houston that would allow drawing from a holster was a bit of a challenge but special thanks to the guys out at shiloh indoor pistol range for accommodating some real practice instead of boring 1 round per second from my stationary little box.
    GH and darbo like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "First... I need longer t shirts."

Longtail Ts from Duluth Trading ompany. You pay back the favor later!

Longtail T-Shirts For Men, Short Sleeve, Long Sleeve - Duluth Trading T-Shirts
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

mkh
    A man has to know his limitations and it looks like you found yours. That made it a good learning day.

One thing I learned in training is that reholstering never needs to be done quickly. It should always be done "reluctantly and deliberately" according to my instructors. We were taught to really grab UP that covering garment with our left hand in order to ensure nothing could get in way of reholstering. Then, trigger finger OUT and well away from the gun, and slowly back in the holster. There is never a need to reholster quickly, in a self defense situation at least.
    whoppo and aus71383 like this.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post

Second... (and more importantly) I'm rusty. Between botched draws and botched reloads I realized that I WILL MOST DEFINITELY be investing in some training this spring/summer. I at least my accuracy and speed (on a good draw) was good. In the mean time I'll practice dry firing from the holster around the house.
    Along those lines, you may wish to simulate FTF and clearing the bad round. I do this every so often. You can purchase "dummy" rounds for this purpose.
    One of our timed competitions do this where the range master will load our mags and place a "dummy" round somewhere in the stack. You need to clear it and continue.
    Good stuff.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post

Second... (and more importantly) I'm rusty. Between botched draws and botched reloads I realized that I WILL MOST DEFINITELY be investing in some training this spring/summer.
    Good on you for being honest with yourself and seek that extra training. Far to often in the gun community gun toters are not willing to take the extra steps. Best of luck on your training endeavors!

Sponsored Links