What is the longest shot you would take at a BG?

This is a discussion on What is the longest shot you would take at a BG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a defensive situation I would only shoot if it prevented my death or the death of someone in my family, regardless of range....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the longest shot you would take at a BG?

In a defensive situation I would only shoot if it prevented my death or the death of someone in my family, regardless of range.

2. Remove Ads

I can\'t imagine what kind of an explanation I would give the police for shooting a bad guy who is 1000 yards away.:question:

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    Up to 100 yards i can reliably pin someone down with a handgun. not every shot will hit obviously, but it will be enough to keep their head down while i escape.

There\'s a parking lot at my college that is right up against I-95. I-95 is recessed and while exiting his car last year, a student was shot at from the other side. that\'s a good 40-50 yard engagement. He was unarmed, but in the same situation i would have not trouble taking cover and returning fire. The ******* is wildly spraying shots at you so take good aim. you\'ll probably only get off 1 or 2 shots before he bolts. Hit him or miss, you stopped the threat.

If the criteria for taking a shot are met... I would shoot at the BG where ever he was.

With my USP .45 100 and some yds is probably my absolute limit. With my XD9 sub my limit is around 75 yds. But under stress it would be real tough and these #\'s are probably optimistic.

If my life or the life of another is threatened u gotta do what u gotta do.

My eyesight is 20/20 with corrective glasses. I can\'t make out someone\'s features at 60yds.

It\'s 100feet from my front door to the street of my property, 200ft from the back of my house to the edge of my property, 60feet on each side.

So how far out would I engage? As far as my voice travels combined with as far away as I percieve a threat to my existence/home is.

What do you do if you HAPPEN to be using your bird watching binoculars and see five guys creeping/running towards your house from 200 yards away? How do you know there is a threat directed at you? Don\'t you have to visually or verbally engage the suspect/target 1st?

NYC Drew

\"What is the longest shot you would take at a BG?\"

How far away is the BG when he decides to attack me? there is your answer... :kay:

95% of the time I practice at 7 yards. That is the backdrop I built at my home, rural area. Next spring we are having a horse barn built and I will also construct a berm at 25 yards and expand my practice routine. As someone else said, if the conditions were right, I\'d let one go at whatever the distance.

Originally posted by Hask12
    I can\'t imagine what kind of an explanation I would give the police for shooting a bad guy who is 1000 yards away.:question:
    Just say he tried to run and you gave him a five minute lead...

To restate the obviously already stated:

You engage the life threatening bg, . . . when and where he/she becomes a life threatening bg: 3 inches or 100 meters, . . . life threatening is life threatening. If it isn\'t, . . . y\'all best not be shooting.

Distance is the good guy\'s friend, . . . if he is capable at that distance, . . . near proximity works more in the bg\'s favor.

Personally, . . . my plan is to stop the threat just as soon as I ascertain it is indeed a deadly/maiming threat.

May God bless,
    Dwight

Depends on the situation, is the BG 25 yards away and shooting at me? If so, 25 yards, as that is the farthest I can expect to reliably place rounds accurately.

I shoot IDPA twice a month. With handguns I regularly practice a draw from a cover garment at ranges from contact out to 25 yards. Three in an \"A\" zone (either center chest or head) are often required.

My 5.56mm I practice out to 300 meters with iron sights. One shot every 3-5 seconds on reactive targets.

My M1A Super Match with rangefinding Shepherd scope I can fire a 5 rd group at 100 yds and cover it with a dime. Out to 900 yds I\'m pretty certain of hitting a man sized target in the chest 90% of the time.

But somebody else on the board put it perfectly, so I\'ll quote that post: \"When my life is in danger? As far as I need to.\" That says it all....just perfectly. :kay:

When he starts shooting at me...I would be running and shooting at him!
    As soon as the BG shoots at me I am p***ed, I would be shooting back and trying to find a place to hide me and my family!

I\'ll shoot as far and as many times as I need to.

I regularly practice handgun shots out to 150m. My normal range is alternating shots at 50, 75, and 100m.

Most of the guys who don\'t think they can hit something at those ranges haven\'t tried - it\'s really not horribly difficult.

This means that when I have the allegedly typical 7 yard shot it shouldn\'t be much of an issue - I practice far harder than I expect to ever have to use it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links