What is the longest shot you would take at a BG?

This is a discussion on What is the longest shot you would take at a BG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don\'t think I would shoot much past the 7 yards. How far out would you go?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the longest shot you would take at a BG?

I don\'t think I would shoot much past the 7 yards. How far out would you go?

2. Remove Ads

That is a loaded question.

Let me see. If someone is shooting at me and they are within range of my wepon. I would return fire unless I had a way to get away from there. I don\'t see any other way around it. Now if they had a long range wepon and I had a pistol. I would do the duck and dive.

Now if it was if the BG was coming toward me with a gun or something? I would look for a way to get out of there. I think the 25'rule applies to me. I know that 21'can be closed in a second if someone is rushing you. I would stand them off at about 25'once in that circle I would shoot.

Another simple answer would be that I would shoot to the range limit of my weapon.

I hope that I have covered everything.

Tm

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Tactician writes 7 yards, tminer 25 feet. A follow-up question for both: at what range do each of you practice?

Senior Moderator
    With my .50 BMG I could engage and hit out to 1000 yards. With my .300 Mag...same distance. I would probably limit the .308 to about 800 yards.

I practice at 600 and 1000. We use a 9\"steel gong for a target.

With pistol...it depends. With my Sig 220 I can go to 100 no problem on a B27 sillhouett. I do practice on it out to 50 yards, our qualification(sherrif dept) is out to 25 yards. With my backup I\'ll go 50, but to be honest with you if I have to engage much past 25 yards as an LEO, Im grabbing the AR or the 12 guage.

For CCW I think it\'d be hard to argue you were in danger of your life if the shoot was much more than 20 or so yards away.If you are in an active shooter situation where you have some jerk randomly shooting at someone, I dont think itd matter what range it was.

I\'d never be able to imagine every scenario that might arise.....I\'d take the shot if the situation met the legal and moral criteria for the use of deadly force, and it was a shot I could make with the equipment I had and the backstop and/or surrounding populace was not a factor.

For my pistol, probably about 15 yards. Thats where I practice the most. At 16 yards my accuracy gets worse. At 45 feet, I dont think that would be SD, but the defense of another.

Going by the rule of three (three rounds in three yards in three seconds) I\'m covered.

i would almost say that in most situations that i can think of would be no more than 10 yds unless cornered....even with my xd 9 sub 25 yds is the about the most i can get out of it with dependable accuracy..but to take a human life it would be a do or die situation...

I can hit what I aim at, at 25 yards, but have never tried with the CZ 75 PO1 beyond that. If it\'s all I have, and I NEED to make a long shot, I\'ll try it.
    The shotgun, 75 yards max, the Mosin M38 can tag \'em no problme at 100. Don\'t know about the new Mosin....range only goes to 100 yards....

When my life is in danger? As far as I need to.

Originally posted by SGeringer
    I\'d never be able to imagine every scenario that might arise.....I\'d take the shot if the situation met the legal and moral criteria for the use of deadly force, and it was a shot I could make with the equipment I had and the backstop and/or surrounding populace was not a factor.
    This is a good answer. :kay:

Terrain??

A lot depends on the terrain, and cover I have.

If There is no escape ability, I will shoot as long as needed, at whatever distance is necessary.

ccw
    In the state of Arkansas, you must retreat if you can do so safely. So, the issue of legality comes into play. I would expect there to be a problem if you ingauged a threat at an extreme distance and had a safe way to get out of the area without any chance of injury to yourself. Most confortations a civilian will encounter is going to happen at extreme close range, probably at arms reach. Its nice to be a good shot at extended ranges, however for the purpose of self protection, close will be the rule of thumb.

Bravo3
    Originally posted by nemesis
    When my life is in danger? As far as I need to.
    Exactly my sentiments

From a supported position ,( barrricade ) not under hostile fire, if the conditions and the situaton were right, example- BG holding hostage with immediate intent to harm same, I would be comfortable taking a head shot at 40-50 yards with my S&W 686 4\" 357.

In a SHTF scenario, with rounds being exchanged,I think there is no set distance, where you\'re at is where you shoot.

pretty impressive shot.

~A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links