Magazines while CCW - Page 4

Magazines while CCW

This is a discussion on Magazines while CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never carry a spare mag. If 17 rounds is not good enough, then I am in deep doo doo. Mag failure? I would have ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Magazines while CCW

I never carry a spare mag. If 17 rounds is not good enough, then I am in deep doo doo. Mag failure? I would have a better chance of getting hit by lightening. I can see the need for the police to carry a couple of mags.

Re: Magazines while CCW

I prefer a bandolier.

Nobody messes with a man wearing a bandolier!

Not since the Spanish-American war, anyway.

Carry what you will. If you need the spare due to running out, you're in a war, and shoulda brought at least a long gun, and probably full auto, too.

If it fails, well, it just ain't your day, I guess.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'm not about to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do (unless they are my children or grandsons), so whatever works for you, and that you feel comfortable with is the way to go. I also realize this is a defensive conceal carry forum primarily, but from my perspective (30+ years in law enforcement) I consider it dangerous to think "if" instead of "when". Your law enforcement professionals, and I submit everyone, should adopt a "when/then" mindset. In other words, when (fill in the blank) happens, then I'll (fill in the blank). If you're on this level, at all times, you're prepared to act, without having to instantly formulate a reaction, because you've already got a plan. So when I read the original post, I'm thinking, "when" STTS (sugar turns to sh*t) I'm going to have enough spare ammunition to adequately address the threat. Gunfights happen fast, and trust me, it's not the same as shooting at paper or steel targets on the range. Extreme violence wins the day. Have a plan, have the tools and the proper mindset to WIN, and never quit. Better to have it and not need it I'm thinking. LOL Be safe.
    1MoreGoodGuy and GH like this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I ususally carry a spare magazine both for the additional ammunition and also in case of a magazine failure. I am also most comfortable when I am carrying a BUG because it is normally a better option than trying to clear a malfunction.

Edit: Some malfunctions just take too long to clear and get the gun back in action and some are darn near impossible without dissassembling the gun.

Jim

GH
    I have to amend my post from Dec 9. When my M&P40C gets here I'll definitely carry a spare mag 100% of the time rather that the 50% I've already stated. Maybe 2 spares. I'll be losing 4 rounds otherwise - 14+1 vs 10+1. It's nice to be macho & tell everyone you only need one shot to get the job done. I say baloney & that's not even considering a mag failure.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I'm not about to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do (unless they are my children or grandsons), so whatever works for you, and that you feel comfortable with is the way to go. I also realize this is a defensive conceal carry forum primarily, but from my perspective (30+ years in law enforcement) I consider it dangerous to think "if" instead of "when". Your law enforcement professionals, and I submit everyone, should adopt a "when/then" mindset. In other words, when (fill in the blank) happens, then I'll (fill in the blank). If you're on this level, at all times, you're prepared to act, without having to instantly formulate a reaction, because you've already got a plan. So when I read the original post, I'm thinking, "when" STTS (sugar turns to sh*t) I'm going to have enough spare ammunition to adequately address the threat. Gunfights happen fast, and trust me, it's not the same as shooting at paper or steel targets on the range. Extreme violence wins the day. Have a plan, have the tools and the proper mindset to WIN, and never quit. Better to have it and not need it I'm thinking. LOL Be safe.
    While I agree wholeheartedly when you say we must prepare for "when" rather than "if," I do believe you can take the concept too far. Now, is an extra mag too far? Probably not. Is a BUG too far? Also unlikely. Both an EDC and a BUG and spare mags for both? Might be approaching the "preparedness cliff" (so much talk about cliffs these days, we might as well have one that relates to concealed carry as well).

I also trust your experience as a LEO (and, thank you for your service). And so, I'm absolutely certain that what you say about gunfights is correct... They happen incredibly fast. And we need to train for that "when" to some degree.

But you can "when/then" all day long, until you have 42 guns on your person. For that one occasion in The Matrix "when this one fails, then I will go to that one X 41."

And, in the event we are ever to be in a real gunfight, your last statements hold truth. "Have a plan, have the tools and the proper mindset to WIN, and never quit. Better to have it and not need it I'm thinking. LOL Be safe."

Just before them you also said, "Extreme violence wins the day." It will, surely, when the STTS...

But often times, the simple act of a lady removing a handgun from her purse against an armed robber is enough to "win the day" and carry on with her pedicure... as reported on DC here: Carrying a gun can save lives....at least it did in Casper, WY
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I carry a spare mag in a Remora mag holder in my front pocket. I feel it's better to have 21 rounds than just 11.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Should you have an issue such as a double feed (I admit it is rare in a handgun, but it still can happen) itís best if you have another to solve that problem, sure you can retain the one you have, but what if it is causing the issue. Second reason for having an extra is after using your weapon to defend your life, you should put your back up against something hard (ie a wall), look for additional threats, top off your gun in case more problems arise, pull out your phone and call the police.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links