Magazines while CCW

This is a discussion on Magazines while CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So what is your take for carrying addional magazines while CCW? Why or why not? Jason...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Magazines while CCW

Magazines while CCW

So what is your take for carrying addional magazines while CCW? Why or why not?
    Jason

2. Remove Ads

I do. More for magazine failure insurance than for extra rounds (that part just sweetens the deal).
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Spare magazine is always with me. Not for additional rounds, but because the weakest link in most semi-auto pistols is the magazine. If a failure occurs, drop the mag, insert spare and hopefully be back into the fight.
    Toorop likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just what's in the gun. If I can't get my butt out of a jam in 10-13 shots, I've really screwed up and I probably won't survive trying for 10-13 more. As for the "What ifs," I can create a scenrio that would defeat whatever they choose to carry. It a personal decision that this is what I choose to do.

As for failure, any mag can fail at any time: same for the spare; the spare to the spare; the spare's spare spare... I keep my mags in clean, good-working order, but like a light bulb, I understand--like anything else--any mag can fail. But, I've never had a mag issue before.

The gun and one mag is heavy enough to tote around. The idea of seeking that ideal "lightweight" gun and then toting 2-3 loaded mags doesn't appeal to me.
    yz9890, sioux565 and jblitz like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Just what's in the gun. If I can't get my butt out of a jam in 10-13 shots, I've really screwed up and I probably won't survive trying for 10-13 more. As for the "What ifs," I can create a scenrio that would defeat whatever they choose to carry. It a personal decision that this is what I choose to do.

As for failure, any mag can fail at any time: same for the spare; the spare to the spare; the spare's spare spare... I keep my mags in clean, good-working order, but like a light bulb, I understand--like anything else--any mag can fail. But, I've never had a mag issue before.

The gun and one mag is heavy enough to tote around. The idea of seeking that ideal "lightweight" gun and then toting 2-3 loaded mags doesn't appeal to me.
    I reason it this way. Say the probability of a G26 mag failure is .01 (1 in 100). If you have one and carry a spare, then the odds of BOTH failing is 1 in 10000. Hence I carry one spare mag.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Spare magazine is always with me. Not for additional rounds, but because the weakest link in most semi-auto pistols is the magazine. If a failure occurs, drop the mag, insert spare and hopefully be back into the fight.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Having the time to drop a bad mag and stuff another is just as feasible as carrying unchambered and having the time to chamber a round. That argument can go on eternally with only one resolution--Carry whatever makes you feel comfortable as no one else has to answer for it.
    OTB likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Extra mag in a belt pouch, but a double mag pouch when in Jax or Orlando.
    TVille likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    +1 to this. The mag is a weak link in autos. Use the good stuff and stay safe.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Having the time to drop a bad mag and stuff another is just as feasible as carrying unchambered and having the time to chamber a round. That argument can go on eternally with only one resolution--Carry whatever makes you feel comfortable as no one else has to answer for it.
    When TSHTF I grant you, it is BEST if everything just works right from the start, no doubt; and a mag failure then CAN be curtains. But if you're able to find cover, maybe then you can overcome the problem. One thing I will say; I have carried my G26 for 6 years, and have never yet had a mag failure (at the range or anywhere else). I have made it a habit to carry one spare mag on the left (I am right handed) and I just go with that.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Always carry at least one spare mag in case of magazine failures.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    When I was in the service, when I was a deputy sheriff, when I worked as a dective I always carried a least 2 extra mags that was the way I was trained and it never left me. Its just like make sure I have keys knife gun mags money out the door
    Curzyk likes this.

VIP Member
    Spare mag and occasionally a NY reload. Carry what makes you comfortable though. Let's be honest. You don't care what I carry, and I don't care what you carry. It is about as personal a decision as boxers or briefs.
    miller_man, aus71383 and sensei2 like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I carry at least one...in my little pocket guns, I carry 2 or 3...they're small.

Primarily (for me), I recognize that magazine failure's far harder to cure without spares. And the extra ammo's nice to have, as it's far better to have a bit more than needed rather than to run out when it's a matter of life or death.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links