Traveling from Florida to NC

This is a discussion on Traveling from Florida to NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I'm new here and just have a quick question. I have my Florida CCW permit and I am traveling to NC through Georgia ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Traveling from Florida to NC

Traveling from Florida to NC

Hello all,

I'm new here and just have a quick question. I have my Florida CCW permit and I am traveling to NC through Georgia and SC. All three of those states honor Florida's permit, however I have a question of what happens when I'm driving. Each state has different laws (such as not being allowed to have a gun loaded in your car), but are those laws overridden if you have a CCW permit? I just want to make sure that with my permit I am allowed to have it fully loaded in my center console or glove box in all of those states?

Also the place that I am staying in NC states that no firearms are allowed in the property, and that if they discover a firearm they will notify local authorities. Are businesses up there allowed to do this legally? Can I get into legal trouble if I have my firearm inside a cabin if the company that rents them says I can't?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Hi Mike,

First of all, I'm not a lawyer, so take what I have to say for what it's worth... nothing. ;-)

But this site is excellent for doing your research. Handgunlaw.us

Also, there is an app for iPhone, Android called "CCW" that would also be helpful while on the road.

My 2 cents is that you have your concealed permit and all the states you're driving through accept your permit, therefore you are legally allowed to keep the weapon in your car. When you're reading about carrying in a car, it's for those without permits.

As to your question about where you're staying in NC, if they have signs posted, they carry the weight of the law in NC and therefore you can't carry (or have a weapon on their property if they state it in the lease/rental agreement).

Good luck as you continue to research.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Thank you for your response, I will definitely get that app for reference.

Regarding the cabin rental, nowhere on their website nor when I was reserving was I told that you cannot have firearms on the property. I just got an email confirmation with my order and it states it in the email, but I didn't agree to it at any time before paying. Anyone know if they would be allowed to do that? Hit me with that news the day that I am traveling, after I've paid for everything, and their website's list of policies makes no mention of that restriction.

Thanks again!

And to add on to that, can they prohibit me from having it in my car if it's parked on their property, since my car is my property?

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    In NC you also can't carry in any place that services alcohol either. So Chili's and like restaurants are out, be mindful that they usually will not post a sign saying it. So don't think just because there is no sign that it is ok.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When it comes right down to it, there's a lot of places in NC where you can't carry. When I visit my daughter there, I end up leaving my gun in her house because I can't carry wherever we end up going. There's always some admission charged, alcohol served or one of the many restrsictions on CC'ing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You are good to carry while driving or have it in the console with a CCP. As for the rentals, you should be fine with it in the car. They would be hard pressed to be able to make a fuss about it in a car. But I'm also kind of a jerk I would have probably canceled the reservation. I bet there are lots of folks that would like to have some business right now.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    When it comes right down to it, there's a lot of places in NC where you can't carry. When I visit my daughter there, I end up leaving my gun in her house because I can't carry wherever we end up going. There's always some admission charged, alcohol served or one of the many restrsictions on CC'ing.
    Carrying concealed in NC is great. As long as you don't leave your house...
    OldVet, msgt/ret, noway2 and 1 others like this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike886 View Post
    Thank you for your response, I will definitely get that app for reference.

Regarding the cabin rental, nowhere on their website nor when I was reserving was I told that you cannot have firearms on the property. I just got an email confirmation with my order and it states it in the email, but I didn't agree to it at any time before paying. Anyone know if they would be allowed to do that? Hit me with that news the day that I am traveling, after I've paid for everything, and their website's list of policies makes no mention of that restriction.

Thanks again!
    IANAL, but I doubt legally they can do it. That being said, do you want to take that chance? I'd cancel the reservation, telling them why. They may balk at a refund, but they are the ones changing the rules in mid stream.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You are required to follow all of the laws in what ever states you carry in.

For NC, signs or notification either verbal or written of concealed carry being forbidden on their premise carry the weight of law. That being said, you are NOT carrying concealed when the firearm is secured and not in your immediate possession such as locked in a trunk or locked in a case not accessible by anyone in the vehicle. That is considered transporting a weapon, not carrying concealed.

As others have said, handgunlaw.us is the best sight that tells you in plain language what the laws are of each state and it is usually kept extremely current.

The last case I heard of where a rental cabin owner had given this notice the intent was to stop any target practice around the facilities and when contacted with the question of whether this applied to concealed carry permit holders who where carrying for family and personal safety only, not target shooting it was said that concealed carry was permissible on property as long as that was the sole purpose for it. It was provided in writing by the owner stating this to the person renting the cabin.
    msgt/ret and RAL like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Re: Traveling from Florida to NC

Thank you all for the great answers. I called and spoke with the owner and he said he has no problem with having a firearm for self protection. Basically like the last person said, the policy was most likely there to prevent people from shooting. He's going to send me an email so I have it in writing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    RAL likes this.

Here's another resource...

Concealed Carry Resources, Maps and Forums - USA Carry

See Concealed Carry Resources at the top of the page...use the maps!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike886 View Post
    Thank you all for the great answers. I called and spoke with the owner and he said he has no problem with having a firearm for self protection. Basically like the last person said, the policy was most likely there to prevent people from shooting. He's going to send me an email so I have it in writing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Its good that you got things worked out in an amicable manner. Sometimes the upfront and direct approach is best. I am curious, though, about the legality of their prohibition at least with respect to your presence within the cabin as that would have become your temporary residence, even giving you castle doctrine protection.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Its good that you got things worked out in an amicable manner. Sometimes the upfront and direct approach is best. I am curious, though, about the legality of their prohibition at least with respect to your presence within the cabin as that would have become your temporary residence, even giving you castle doctrine protection.
    You have to remember, the new NC Castle Doctrine (AKA NC statutes 14-51.2 .3 and .4) in no way address the legalities of carrying a firearm. They only address the use of force that may cause death or serious injury while protecting yourself in three specific locations. Keeping this in mind you could still use deadly force in other forms (baseball bat, Katana, tire iron, etc.) to protect yourself and fall under these statutes. They don't provide for a specific method of self defense, only the legal ability to employ it.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You have to remember, the new NC Castle Doctrine (AKA NC statutes 14-51.2 .3 and .4) in no way address the legalities of carrying a firearm.
    This is correct. It does, however, state in section 14-51.2 (a) (1) that the protections apply to temporary residences, including tents.

I interpreted your your previous post statement about transport of firearms vs carrying (which I thought was an excellent point by the way) as meaning that he would be able to transport to and from the cabin. Consequently, coupled with the above doctrine, I am wondering if the property lessor has legal grounds to ban the possession of legal firearms to a renter, which I think is an entirely different matter than prohibiting target shooting on the property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links