Doctor visits while carrying concealed

This is a discussion on Doctor visits while carrying concealed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never minded anybody carrying in my office. Some of them would even sit and talk guns for a while. One guy came to me ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Doctor visits while carrying concealed

I never minded anybody carrying in my office. Some of them would even sit and talk guns for a while. One guy came to me because he read my profile on the internet and saw where I shot Bullseye.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What? He didn't ask if you had guns in your house?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    I never minded anybody carrying in my office. Some of them would even sit and talk guns for a while. One guy came to me because he read my profile on the internet and saw where I shot Bullseye.

EXCUSE ME????!?!?!?!?!?!?!

OldVet likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Male nurse?
    Man Purse. You knew that.

Hello my friend;

In my opinion; the reason for carrying a concealed pistol is to keep it concealed and out of sight and not to advertise to Anyone, that including
    your doctor.

Please don't be offended, but anyone of us should never, ever, advertise or make known that we carry on our person. This of course is to
    protect us. I know some individuals that make it obvious that they carry even though they don't brandish or when they are at family
    gatherings they play show and tell.

People talk and that's the last bit of info I want anyone to know that I carry.

Frado

Interesting this thread came up...I just obtained a "new" primary care doctor...On my initial visit, while having a medical interview by the nurse, I casually asked if the Doctor had any policy concerning patients that might have a Concealed Weapons Permit, and wanted to carry while having their office visit/appointment. I was firmly informed, that NO patient was allowed to carry a weapon in the Doctor's office. She then went on to tell me how she was afraid/against guns of any type, even though her dad had been a police officer. Baaaa Baaaaaaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaaa!!! I thanked her, and was put in an exam room to await the Doctor. It just so happens that I have known the Doctor for years, but NOT what you would call a friend, just an acquaintance. He enters the exam room, we pass the social amenities, and the exam begins. Of course, in the course of the exam, the conversation strayed to family, common acquaintances, etc, and I figured I'd broach the question of Concealed Carry in his office. He looked at me, asked if I had my permit, which I answered in the affirmative, and then he smiled, and said "by all means you may carry"...

I kept my mouth shut concerning the conversation with his nurse. Didn't want to get her in trouble, and what she doesn't know won't hurt her. Found out the Doc has his permit, often carries while he is in the office, and trains with his G19 on a regular basis.

It's nice to have a Doc with similar feelings and interests as myself...JMO
    Danoh likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    Although I'm armed almost everywhere I go, when I started carrying I also made a commitment not to be gun centric. Weapons come in all forms and not all of them a firearms.

Think of it this way, most of us are going to die from an illness and not a violent attack.
    When I got my CCP my wife asked me to NOT be like her ex, the man would not even THINK of leaving his bedroom without his 40. Had a loaded shotty in each room, and his truck. He also had 2 additional handguns in his truck, and a 2 shot 357 in the tool kit of his harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    When I got my CCP my wife asked me to NOT be like her ex, the man would not even THINK of leaving his bedroom without his 40. Had a loaded shotty in each room, and his truck. He also had 2 additional handguns in his truck, and a 2 shot 357 in the tool kit of his harley.
    Now please tie this in to the thread about carrying in the doctor's office.

In kentucky I go to my doctor have to take off shirt etc I pull out my Ramora with gun and lay it on the desk under my shirt. Doc comes in does the checkup all is ok my shirt goes back on and the ramora goes back in ay pants and gets tucked with not a word or odd look from my doctor.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

I don't know why folks make the simplest things into a complicated drama.

1. State law you can't carry----pretty simple
    2. Doctor has a posted sign with the force of law for that state---pretty simple
    3. No signs and no law and no plicy with the doctors office about firearms.--JUST TELL your doctor you carry. Good grief, he is your doctor, you should be telling him everything about your health. I think you can trust him with the knowledge you have a firearm.

If you don't feel comfy telling your doctor about then you need to rethink your reltionship with him. If you have a problem with him possibly putting it in your record about it then you need to find another doctor or just don't carry or put it in a fanny pack. Being clever and trying to keep it a secret does not work if the doctor has to check something you did not think about.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Now please tie this in to the thread about carrying in the doctor's office.
    If you read my quoted passage, the poster I quoted said that he had made a commitment NOT to be gun centric...I too have made such a commitment, the gun will not run my life, I have made it 45 years without NEEDing a gun, I pray I never will. The day I cannot leave the house without a gun, is probably the day I need to put them away. IMHO if I can't go to the Dr without a sidearm, I have don't have an issue, I have a subscription. I do carry TO the Dr. but the gun gets locked in the vehicle while I am in the office (which is posted, even though such signs do not carry the weight of law here in AL, they do carry the weight of a moral obligation to obey the wishes of the property owner-again IMHO).

Thanks to everyone. It was nice to read your comments. There is no right answer, just need to do what is legal and how you feel about carrying concealed. I've decided that for future visits I'll leave it locked in a secure box in my car which is locked to the seat post out of sight. A doctor or a police officer are about the only people who can touch me anywhere without asking first. I don't expect to have a reason for a police officer (or appointments) to search me, so I'll carry at any legal place except when visiting a doctor or getting a medical test.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    True. It is also not legal to carry in a VA hospital or one that has mental health services.
    True

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > ? 930
    Prev | Next
    ? 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

I taught my doctor and her staff to shoot, and put them through a personal protection class. They think nothing of my carrying into the office.
    Jaytea likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I agree with suntzu .... if it's legal to carry, just carry the darn thing, and not make any bigger deal out of this than any other time you may or may not carry.

My current primary care guy is close to 25 years younger than I am, and I remember watching him grow up. The first time my gun was in the way of my exam I just said, "hang on a second Joel", removed it and set it down on the counter, and the visit went right on just as planned. No big deal.
    Jaytea likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I think I'm just "brainwashed" living in New York. Up here people are quite hostile to handguns. I just saw on the news how the government in Florida was proud to have reached a record number of handgun permits issued.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links