Doctor visits while carrying concealed

This is a discussion on Doctor visits while carrying concealed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went for a chest X-ray this week. I pretty much knew I'd be asked to raise my arms. Instead of my Glock 23 and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Doctor visits while carrying concealed

I went for a chest X-ray this week. I pretty much knew I'd be asked to raise my arms. Instead of my Glock 23 and Ruger LCR on my ankle, I left home with just the Ruger. Felt almost naked!
    End of this week had a lung doctor appointment. Same scenario. Except he felt my lymph nodes under my arms and around my neck and for some reason felt my ankles! He touched my right ankle and then my left (where my Ruger lives), but touched it very lightly. I think he sensed something was there, but he never asked and just kept asking me regular diagnosis questions. I didn't say anything either, but felt I should have left it home. I live in the very un-friendly gun state on NY.
    I'm wondering what others would have done given the same situation.

When you are going for something more than a normal check worrying about whether to carry or not should probably not even be a blip on the radar. Worry about your health and leave the goodies in the car or at home. The exception to this is if your doc is a shooting buddy.

If I'm going for a first time visit, I'll leave the arsenal in the car till I get the feel of who I'll be seeing. Any time you may be poked and prodded anywhere but the arms or head, or asked to cough think about leaving it in the car or at home.
    BkCo1 and Lish like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I agree I felt really stupid. I've just got so accustomed to carrying. next time guns stay home. I should not be trying to think where a doctor will touch me. BTW, my health concern turned out fine. I guess I was just using my post to vent anger at myself for being so stupid.

i always carry to the doctors office... only if its in a government run hospital i leave it in the car and thats only because state law in GA doesnt allow govt building carry
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Murse.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Murse.
    Male nurse?
    tommy62 and sioux565 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytea View Post
    I agree I felt really stupid. I've just got so accustomed to carrying. next time guns stay home. I should not be trying to think where a doctor will touch me. BTW, my health concern turned out fine. I guess I was just using my post to vent anger at myself for being so stupid.
    Don't sweat the small stuff and it's only stupid if you do something twice after you decided it wasn't smart the first time. Otherwise it's known as a learning experience.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    No biggie this time. Put in a carry bag like a back-pack or something similar or just leave it in the car for the visit. Here in SC medical facilities are off limits to CC and I go to the VA which is federal, so that definitely won't be happening with me!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Don't sweat it; I'm sure the doctor already forgot about it. The only time I would carry in a hospital is if I'm visiting someone there (unless is illegal, like the VA).
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I don't understand. Why shouldn't we carry into the Doctors office?

Can they guarentee our safety there? Most likely not.

If the procedure is going to require stripping, or if it's going to involve scanning in which that part of the attire is going to get in the way, then I leave it elsewhere. Otherwise, I see no reason to disarm. After all, while there's little risk inside of such a building, that says nothing about the walk to or from that building, or in the parking lot nearby, etc. BTDT, on many occasions. Works very well, and there's nobody getting their knickers bunched because of it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I simply leave mine in the car in a lock box. If I'm going to the doctor, I've already got enough to think about. Can you tell I'm not really fond of going to the doctors?
    Question Everything!

I don't trust anyone else with my safety, and that includes a doctors office. I have to weigh in every time I visit my Doctor, and you should see the look on the girls face when I empty my pockets before stepping on the scales. Don't want to weigh two pistols, three spare magazines and a knife every time I weigh in. LOL They all know me there now, so it's not a big deal, but the first time certainly sparked some conversations. If and when I go to the hospital I'll usually let my significant other "hold" for me, until I get dressed again. I'll damn sure not ever leave it at home, because I'd go crazy hearing "Baaaaa, Baaaaaa" in my subconscious. :) Ya'll be safe.
    Danoh likes this.

When I go to the doctor I leave my firearm locked in my car. I don't think being unarmed for an hour or so is worth worrying about being found out by my physician, or having to explain why I'm carrying my pistol. Now don't get me wrong......I carry everywhere I legally can but if I'm going to disrobe at my Doctor's office I don't want to be separated from my firearm. Just avoid the whole situation by leaving your gun at home, or in your car.....

Oh New York.... how great it is to live here.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links