RE-locating from Texas to Missouri

This is a discussion on RE-locating from Texas to Missouri within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gentlemen, We may be moving to MO next year from Texas. How does the x-fer of my CHL occur? Am I "un-licensed" in MO as ...

Thread: RE-locating from Texas to Missouri

RE-locating from Texas to Missouri

Gentlemen,

We may be moving to MO next year from Texas. How does the x-fer of my CHL occur? Am I "un-licensed" in MO as soon as I get a MO driver's license? Can I carry using my TX CHL for some amount of time? Is it a direct x-fer without fees or add'l classes or is there no such thing as a transfer?

Anything else I need to be quickly aware of?

Thank you!
    maximumrob

2. Remove Ads

Missouri is pretty easy to get.

The following is taken from http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

Apply to the Sheriff of the county you reside in. You must take a training class. Sheriffs will give you a list
    of certified trainers in your area. The cost of a Permit/License is approximately $100.00 and is valid for 3
    years. I could not find an application form online.
    What is the process to get a CCW endorsement?
     The sheriff or sheriff’s designee issues a Concealed Carry Certificate of Qualification and enters
    corresponding information in the Missouri Uniform Law Enforcement System (MULES). The CCW
    endorsement cannot be added until the information has been accurately entered in MULES.
     The applicant brings the Concealed Carry Certificate of Qualification to a contract office.
    (A person can receive a concealed carry endorsement without meeting the current requirements if he
    or she submits a copy of a certificate of firearms safety training course completion that was issued on
    or before August 27, 2011, if the certificate met the requirements that were in effect on the date it was
    issued.)
     The office personnel verifies the authenticity of the Concealed Carry Certificate of Qualification. If
    the Concealed Carry Certificate of Qualification information has not been accurately entered in
    MULES, the CCW endorsement application will be denied and the applicant must return to the law
    enforcement agency that issued the Concealed Carry Certificate of Qualification.
     The driver license applicant surrenders his or her current license, and takes the vision and road sign
    recognition tests.
     The applicant pays for a new, renewal or duplicate driver or nondriver license.
     A driver or nondriver license with a CCW endorsement is issued to the qualifying individual.
     The CCW endorsement expires in three years (the expiration date is noted on the driver or nondriver
    license).
     Individuals issued a Concealed Carry Certificate of Qualification have seven days from the date
    issued to apply for a new/renewal/duplicate driver license or nondriver license showing the CCW
    endorsement (RSMo 571.101).
    The Applicant Must Bring the Following When Applying
    1. Proof of training from a qualified instructor. (Must have been done before filling out the application)
    2. Valid Missouri state-issued identification or Military identification and Orders stationing the service
    member in Missouri. (Missouri will issue to military personnel 18 and older.)
    3. Up to $100 in check, cash or money order
    Some sheriff's require money orders
    The fee is not refundable under any circumstances
    The amount of the fee depends on the sheriff's costs to administer the program May require separate checks for Fingerprints ($38)
    Some sheriffs may demand further proof of residency. Voter's registration, personal property tax receipt, or
    utility bills may be used. The law does not state you need this but the Sheriff might. The license holder must
    notify the sheriff if he moves. If he moves to a different county, he must notify the sheriff of both the old and
    the new county.

Last Updated: 11/16/12
    Missouri DOES honor all other state permits, so you are good to go till you can get the transfer done. I would contact your local Sheriff office to ask for the best process to undergo to avoid any downtime.

In St Charles County it was EASY - $125 for the class, $100.50 for the application.

I have a personal friend that does the classes who is a local law enforcement instructor. IF YOU WOULD LIKE, shoot me a message when you are ready to do the class and I will see if he has an opening (if you are going to be int he St. Louis area.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Not an expert on MO law, but I believe as soon as you become a legal resident of MO your TX permit is no longer valid. TX does not have a non-resident permit, so it should be voided when you change your residency.Since your TX permit will be void, MO will not honor it.

I don't know of any state that does a transfer of permits, MO may recognize your TX training as proof of training there, you'd need to check directly with them on that.

Your best option may be to obtain a non-resident permit from a state that MO recognizes to carry you over until you can get one there. IANAL so take it for what it is worth.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I believe archer is correct. MO ties your permit to your DL which is why I got a FL permit. Also, getting a FL license will cover you during the move. No "must inform" in MO. Be careful as the justifications for lethal force are more restrictive in MO so make sure you study the statutes.

In MO you can get it on a state ID. The DMV is where you get the actual ID card and the records do link, but not every PD has technology that will hit on it.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

With that said and done, if you wanna play it safe carry ur gun empty in your trunk with ammo seperately when crossing state line... Good luck on your moving.... Eddie.

Why, TX, MO and all states in between are free states?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not an expert on MO law, but I believe as soon as you become a legal resident of MO your TX permit is no longer valid. TX does not have a non-resident permit, so it should be voided when you change your residency.Since your TX permit will be void, MO will not honor it.

I don't know of any state that does a transfer of permits, MO may recognize your TX training as proof of training there, you'd need to check directly with them on that.

Your best option may be to obtain a non-resident permit from a state that MO recognizes to carry you over until you can get one there. IANAL so take it for what it is worth.
    ^^^this^^^

Once you claim resident status, your out of state permit becomes invalid. I am not clear on obtaining a non-resident permit though; as a resident of Missouri, they may not honor another states non-resident permit. The best thing to do there would be call the Sheriff's office in the county that you'll be living in and ask them.

The MO permit doesn't take very long to get, so worst case, you shouldn't be without a permit for too long.

I just moved from North Carolina to the Kansas City area. We haven't decided which state we are going to live in yet (Kansas or Missouri), so I am holding off on transferring anything just yet (we are staying with relatives and still own a house in NC). I'm covered by LEOSA, so I don't technically need a permit, but I went ahead and applied for a AZ non-resident permit anyway. I know in Kansas one can carry on a valid non-resident permit after establishing residency in Kansas so long as application has been made for a Kansas permit. If we decide to settle in Missouri I'll look into the process there, but I think we are more likely to end up in Kansas than Missouri.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Texas does have non resident licenses, but the training must be done in Texas. To keep DPS happy I would do a change of address with them. The only question then would be if Missouri is ok with a non resident permit for one of their residents.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Mo honors all permits

enough said.

There is no six month wait for residency.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    With that said and done, if you wanna play it safe carry ur gun empty in your trunk with ammo seperately when crossing state line... Good luck on your moving.... Eddie.
    MO is a castle doctrine state. Your car is an extension of your castle. You can CC in your car as long as you can legally own a firearm.

Even in the peoples republic of illinois you only have to have the unloaded firearm "enclosed in a case" which does not even have to lock.
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    ^^^this^^^

Once you claim resident status, your out of state permit becomes invalid. I am not clear on obtaining a non-resident permit though; as a resident of Missouri, they may not honor another states non-resident permit. The best thing to do there would be call the Sheriff's office in the county that you'll be living in and ask them.

The MO permit doesn't take very long to get, so worst case, you shouldn't be without a permit for too long.
    45 days is the longest wait in MO.
    - Roy Batty

Welcome to Missouri!

I think you will find the state mostly very Second Amendment friendly.

What part of the state are you moving to?
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Links