Jeez Louise: Now What?

This is a discussion on Jeez Louise: Now What? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While poking around the forum trying to resolve my weeks-long struggle to avoid buying a dozen holsters (as much as I would like to, Finance ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeez Louise: Now What?

Jeez Louise: Now What?

While poking around the forum trying to resolve my weeks-long struggle to avoid buying a dozen holsters (as much as I would like to, Finance Committee be darned) for my P239, I came across a post referencing Tucker Gunleather here: http://www.tuckergunleather.com/. What I found there put me in mind of P95Carry's post entitled It "shouts gun"!!. Click on the Tucker link, look at the menu on the left side, go to the top to the link entitled NEW Tucker Gunleather Blog-HOT, click on that, read the first two sections then go here: http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/...leb.htm#page1. Am I to understand from this that we are all transparent to LEO's and BG's? If so, what to do?? What do you do?

2. Remove Ads

I don't worry about it. If I am obvious to a LEO, thats ok because I have a permit and am legal, as long as the gun itself isn't visible.

I f the BG knows then they usually avoid trying to make me a victim.
    that is ok by me.

Quote Originally Posted by LTPhoon View Post
    What do you do?
    If I'm carrying concealed, I try to keep my shirt from blowing open and don't really worry about it.

If I'm carrying open, I just don't worry about it.

Lead Moderator
    I don't think all BG's know by clothing, but some surely do. due to clothing fashions, I can get away with loose, large shirts /loose clothing and just blend in(of course you old geezers would look funny)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I don't think all BG's know by clothing, but some surely do. due to clothing fashions, I can get away with loose, large shirts /loose clothing and just blend in(of course you old geezers would look funny)
    Good Morning Rocky,
    I agree with you that we "geezers" would look funny dressed in some of the clothes that the younger set prefers today. But just remember that we "geezers" have obtained that status by living a long, long time. I'm sure it is a status that all young folks aspire to obtain some day. I also agree with raevan's reasons about being obvious, if that should dissuade a BG from trying to make me a victim then all the better. If a LEO decides to check me out, I am ready to prove that I am legal.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everyone starts out thinkinking everyone can tell you are carrying.After a while you realize that people are oblivious to most of their surroundings,especially that you have a concealed handgun!
    Try a few holsters,use 1 size larger shirts with a dark color or print pattern,and relax!I think most people get "made" due to their own discomfort with carry and their inability to stop fiddling with their gun.
    Don't be the one they name the next gun ban after!

If LE knows thats good for them all that training wasn't wasted, if BGs knew then none of them would get shot while trying to victimize someone.

Quote Originally Posted by dcwn.45 View Post
    Everyone starts out thinkinking everyone can tell you are carrying.After a while you realize that people are oblivious to most of their surroundings,especially that you have a concealed handgun!
    Try a few holsters,use 1 size larger shirts with a dark color or print pattern,and relax!I think most people get "made" due to their own discomfort with carry and their inability to stop fiddling with their gun.
    I have to agree. I carry a full-size semi auto pistol in IWB, often with closer fitting clothes. I know I print pretty good at times. No one notices. At least, no one acts like it or says anything.

In the authors’ three studies, none of the offenders who carried firearms used holsters. They reported frequently touching the weapon with a portion of their hands or arms usually to assure themselves that it remained hidden, secure, and accessible.
    This is pretty common with criminals who may, when confronted with possible apprehension, choose to ditch the weapon rather than face a weapons charge or be tied to a crime committed with that weapon. If you are goin gto ditch a weapon and do not want anyone to know you were carrying one using a holster firmly affixed to your belt is probably NOT you first choice. Very few crack heads use a Milt Sparks or Sidearmor IWB rig.

Personally I have been around many LEOS, friends and family, who have never made me. You need to decide what is more important, concealment or firepower and in what ratio. Then, based on that you dress accordingly.

I generally side with Concealment. That means when I dress it MUST be appropriate to the place and time. I then choose the carry piece and rig accordingly to go with that ensemble. Perhaps it is a 2" 38 with two Bianchi Speed Strips in a Smart Carry, or a Firestar 9mm in a Tuckable BladeTech UCH or a 5" 1911 with a IWB SideArmor and an untucked shirt for a casual day or sweater. IN any case though I need to be confident that the piece is stable, doesn't print with normal body motions and, will not flash. If it isn't stable and I am not confident in the rig I will wind up fiddling with it on purpose, or even worse, develop a habit of fiddling with the rig. The habit is bad because you will find yourself always doing it.

Some handy dress rules apply.

Pleats on slacks are better than flat.
    Darks are better than lights.
    Patterns are better than solids.
    Heavier fabrics work better than lighter.

In every case though I look at myself in the mirror and say "Would I dress this way if I DIDN'T have concealed gun." If the answer is yes I have dressed appropriately for time and place. If I answer no I go back to the drawing board.

Such concern is NOT shown by your average hoodlum who will not invest in proper clothes, belts, or holsters.

A few weeks ago I was running in to a drugstore to get milk and whatnot, on the way home from work. In Ohio my employer is a state enumerated no carry zone. But I can lock it in my car (which I do).

Anyway pull into the parking lot of the drug store. Unlock the gun case grab it and kind of stretch out while sitting in the car to put the IWB holster into my pants (strong side in front of the hip). Jump out of the car pull my shirt over the pistol. Get the stuff I need pay and walk back to my car. Look down and the grip of my pistol is sticking way out. Bascily its printing like crazy. If nobody made me then, I don't know if it will ever happen. :)

Lesson learned: Take the few seconds to make sure the weapon in placed correctly. :)

Old geezers get away with alot more then us younger geezers. Take the Hawian shirt for instance (please ) and the other "funny looking" shirts with designs on them. Older folks have made this into a uniform and for the younger set it looks out of place.

For me, I don't have most of the "indicators" that they discribed in the article so I don't worry about it.

As for the fanny pack, they won't see a wallet, a checkbook, a cell phone or the flashlight on me, they are in the pack.

Wayne

I sometimes wonder if even LE notice that I'm carrying. Maybe they just don't care or don't take note, but I get the impression that most of the time they're not much more aware than most sheeple. Then again, I do live in a "low crime" city.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Old geezers get away with alot more then us younger geezers. Take the Hawian shirt for instance (please ) and the other "funny looking" shirts with designs on them. Older folks have made this into a uniform and for the younger set it looks out of place.
    Wayne
    Exactly !

I was at my son's place a few days ago, was carrying my Kimber Tactical Ultra II in an OWB pancake, covered by a Hawaiian shirt.

My son commented on the shirt by saying:

"Jimmy Buffet called, he wants his shirt back !!"

While my 21 year old son is also CHL, he would never dream of wearing a Hawaiian shirt.... wrong generation, I guess, LOL !!

The law says as long as the gun isn't actually showing, it doesn't matter how bad it prints. Just make sure that you're not brandishing.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie A. View Post
    The law says as long as the gun isn't actually showing, it doesn't matter how bad it prints. Just make sure that you're not brandishing.
    The law though is not the same everywhere. There are also issues with possibly being made at certain places. In addition there are varying laws regarding where and when one can carry that a permit holder may inadvertently find themselves on the wrong side of. Better to just conceal it well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links