The Old - The Lazy - and ME...

This is a discussion on The Old - The Lazy - and ME... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to my monthly IDPA match yesterday and had a good time as usual. As all you IDPA shooters know, the range is cold until ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Old - The Lazy - and ME...

Went to my monthly IDPA match yesterday and had a good time as usual. As all you IDPA shooters know, the range is cold until "shooter make ready", and stays that way until you get to your vehicle when the match is over.

After shooting the last stage my Glock 26 goes back home into my holster empty and no magazine and stays that way. Load up the gear bag, say bye to all and wife and I start to head home. I'm getting to be an old fart and I'm hungry and tired from the match. The wife suggests we stop at the local Subway shop and get a sandwich before we get home (that's her way of saying, "I don't want to cook).

It's been a soggy day shooting and it's misting hard as we pull into the Subway parking lot, and the wife asks me if I'm coming in? I tell her I'll just stay in the truck and wait if she doesn't mind. There's three people ahead of her and if your local Subway samdwich shop is like ours, it's a time consuming process making a sandwich with only one sandwich maker doing it.

Anyway, sitting there with the wipers on watching the activity, the thought occurred to me... If the place suddenly got robbed, here I am sitting here with my wife inside with an empty handgun. Some spare FMJ rounds are enclosed in my range bag in the bottom of it somewhere. Not too smart!

Then the thought occurred to me, under such circumstances that I was in the vehicle waiting on a loved one to get something quick from a inside a convenience store or fast food place and something nasty broke out... That's not a good senerio at all.

You highly "suspect" your loved one is in danger but you didn't hear anything that was said. You're not going to barge through the door with gun drawn (hopefully). Seeing that it's probally a robbery or domestic assult maybe, is rushing in the door to assist your loved one the best course of action? Naturally the preceeding senerio is after you call 9-1-1 but, it's going to take minutes for the police to arrive.

Just thought of that slim possibility sitting in the sandwich parking lot watching the going ons. Not sure exactly what my actions would be as entering the establishment might escallate things or change the course of what might have happened without going in.

Your thoughts?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

That's why i always load up my carry gun after the range because you just never know.

I always load mine back up in the parking lot before I pull out. Luckily I don't need my loved one to protect me, he doesn't carry - but I make sure I'm fully loaded before I leave so I can protect myself if things go south running errands.

In the senario of the armed one in the vehicle and an unarmed one inside - that can be a tough call. Like you said barging in the front door could escalate things, but you don't know what's going on in there. The right answer could very well change from one time to another.

Your gun is nothing more than a brick to throw at a bad guy if it is not loaded ! If you are going to cary - keep it loaded wih one in the chamber. The sandwich shop situation is a tough one. Barge in and get yourself and maybe others shot by one or more bad guys ? Wait outside and be a good witness ? If you hear shots fired, take them out as they exit ? Not sure what I would do without real time info to process.

Yep, I load up before heading home after a match.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I keep carry ammo and range ammo in separate mags - if I'm going to shoot up my carry ammo, I'll load the range mags with new carry ammo....

Having extra mags makes life easier.

Austin

Whenever, wherever...if I'm traveling, my gun is loaded.
    The unloading/loading is all done at the range.
    lchamp and mkh like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To the OP...YOU know exactly what you need to do! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Clean the carry gun at the range (Bore-Snake and spray cleaner), reload, holster, and carry on. John Farnam talks about the issue that you may need to demonstrate that your gun was not fired after you leave the practice range.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    That's why i always load up my carry gun after the range because you just never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I always load mine back up in the parking lot before I pull out. Luckily I don't need my loved one to protect me, he doesn't carry - but I make sure I'm fully loaded before I leave so I can protect myself if things go south running errands.

In the senario of the armed one in the vehicle and an unarmed one inside - that can be a tough call. Like you said barging in the front door could escalate things, but you don't know what's going on in there. The right answer could very well change from one time to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Yep, I load up before heading home after a match.
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I keep carry ammo and range ammo in separate mags - if I'm going to shoot up my carry ammo, I'll load the range mags with new carry ammo....

Having extra mags makes life easier.

Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Whenever, wherever...if I'm traveling, my gun is loaded.
    The unloading/loading is all done at the range.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yep, plus I have separate mags for carry and IDPA/USPSA
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

This might be a good time to think about twins! No, not girls! But a second identical carry gun. One that's ready to go. And one for range time. Switching between the two each time you go to the range. I don't have two identicals but I have two Glocks. I switch each time I go to the range. That way I'm not carrying a dirty gun, I rotate my carry ammo, and I'm not reloading in my vehicle.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I drive to the match with my 26 in the holster I'll use for the match. I take it out of the holster and lock it in the car along with the spare magazine of carry ammo.

I shoot the match with my 19 which is in my range bag cleaned and ready to go. My 26 and my carry ammo is locked in the car.

I put the unloaded and cleared 19 in my range bag, in the designated area where it's allowed to handle weapons, and remove the magazine holder from my belt while I'm there.

All I have to do when I get to the car is put my 26 in the same holster I just used for the match (it fits perfectly), the spare mag with carry ammo in the pocket where I always carry it, and I'm good to go.

I've thought about getting a second 19 but it seems un-necessary. I don't get a 34 because the whole purpose for me shooting the match is to get that kind of practice, moving and shooting multiple targets, with one of my carry guns, and I wouldn't carry the 34. I'm not in it to win it. I put more emphasis on accuracy and smoothness than speed. But I don't finish last anymore, either, which is good.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Senior Moderator
    Load up before you leave. You can even keep a loaded mag in your car to use just after a match.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

NEVER go home with an empty gun. But you knew that already didn't you......

OTB
    Everyone is focusing on the fact that his gun was unloaded from the IDPA match, but I think the OP recognizes this and will correct it going forward.

The real question is if SHTF inside Subway while his wife's in there and he's sitting in the car. What do you do? Are you supposed to dial 911 and wait while your wife's life is in danger?
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."
    -- President Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links