Immigrants With Guns... - Page 5

Immigrants With Guns...

This is a discussion on Immigrants With Guns... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey But then again, would you say that a person born in France is not a "Native Frenchman" because despite the fact ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Immigrants With Guns...

  1. #61
    VIP Member Array Blackeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    But then again, would you say that a person born in France is not a "Native Frenchman" because despite the fact that he was born there, his ancestors did not occupy that land since the dawn of mankind, so really they stole it from its TRUE natives, meaning that he's actually an immigrant like everyone else living in France?
    Well the neanderthals were there first.


  2. #62
    Member Array GarySlinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    A question:

    I'm confused; not sure if you get a green card as a legal resident, or only when you obtain citizenship.

    Isn't "naturalized citizen" a person who has now obtained U.S. citizenship? If so, are you still saying (everalm) that you can't buy a firearm??
    Simplified, bulletpoint, version:

    • Citizenship and Permanent Resident aren't the same thing;
    • "GreenCard" is a common way of referring to Permanent Residents;
    • Citizens don't need GreenCards. They're literally "the same as a natural born American" (hence "naturalized"), except for the running for President part;
    • You can be here as a non-immigrant alien, on a work- or student-visa, for instance;
    • When you get Permanent Resident, you have /almost/ all the same benefits as a citizen; you just can't vote (or server on a Jury?);
    • Federally, a Permanent Resident can purchase and own firearms. States may have their own rules. In FLA, for instance, I'm fine.


    As mentioned earlier, the process of going from non-immigrant alien to Permanent Resident is... Time-Consuming. I was here on an L1-A visa for a few years, and my company sponsored me through to PR. Took about three years, end-to-end.

    G.

  3. #63
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    south Florida
    Posts
    3,168
    Gary Slinger, where did you come here from?

  4. #64
    Member Array MarkM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by GarySlinger View Post
    As mentioned earlier, the process of going from non-immigrant alien to Permanent Resident is... Time-Consuming. I was here on an L1-A visa for a few years, and my company sponsored me through to PR. Took about three years, end-to-end.
    My situation was very similar, came to the US on an H1-B work visa and it took about 2 years to adjust status to permanent resident (green card holder).

    Funny thing was it was quicker to adjust status through the US Embassy in my home country (UK) than it would have been to do it through the INS (immigration and naturalization service) in the US, 2 years instead of 3. The only downside was that I had to fly back to the UK, get all the medical tests, go to the embassy, hope they were no problems or delays, then fly back to the US the next day.

    The best thing about getting the green card was being able to go through the citizen line at immigration at Dulles airport instead of the much longer visitor line

    Now I've been in the US 5 years as a permanent resident, and finally I am eligible to start the naturalization process.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

  5. #65
    Member Array GarySlinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Gary Slinger, where did you come here from?
    Her Brittanic Majesty's United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

    Not so great anymore, unfortuntately... Anyways, England, and more specifically Lancashire.

    G.

  6. #66
    Member Array GarySlinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    The only downside was that I had to fly back to the UK, get all the medical tests, go to the embassy, hope they were no problems or delays, then fly back to the US the next day.
    Fortunately, my company was flying me back and forth to the UK on business quite regularly, so we just scheduled a trip to coincide with my medical check and embassy visit.

    And let me say that handing over my passport, to get it back "in a few days" was NOT a comfortable feeling!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    The best thing about getting the green card was being able to go through the citizen line at immigration at Dulles airport instead of the much longer visitor line
    Tampa for me, but HELL yes

  7. #67
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,882

    Gary Slinger

    Are YOU aware of the fact that I made a follow up post to my original post and stated "That's Cool With Me." because I AM aware of the fact that I don't know everything and I subsequently changed my opinion on that once I became aware of the actual facts?

    Please Go Back & Read Thread Post # 20 in this thread.


    Quote Originally Posted by GarySlinger View Post
    Uh huh... Nicely echoing the arguments of all the anti-gun folks who say that the Second Amendment doesn't need to apply to, oh, y'know, folks like YOU.

    Are you aware of the amount of time, effort and expense it takes to become a Permanet Resident? Some of us even come from countries that you call "allies"...

    It's an all or nothing deal - you either support the Constitution, or you don't. No buffet option here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  8. #68
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,882

    Moderator Addition

    Please allow me to put this thread into perspective.
    I have been on CombatCarry since its inception.
    To the best of my knowledge no CombatCarry forum member (to date) has the political power or clout to make a telephone call to Washington and get Congress to vote on changing the Gun Ownership laws for immigrants...legal, illegal, permanent resident or otherwise.
    That fact makes this thread a conglomeration/accumulation of personal opinions.
    Rather weightless personal opinions as a reality based matter of fact.
    SO...that being the case...should you happen to disagree with the weightless personal opinion of another forum member -
    THEN DO IT POLITELY because your opinion or his/hers ain't worth "Squat" - or a bucket of whale puke anyway.
    Thank You.
    QKShooter

  9. #69
    Member Array GarySlinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Are YOU aware of the fact that I made a follow up post to my original post and stated "That's Cool With Me." because I AM aware of the fact that I don't know everything and I subsequently changed my opinion on that once I became aware of the actual facts?

    Please Go Back & Read Thread Post # 20 in this thread.
    I am, and I should probably have acknowledged that publicly - my apologies for that omission. By way of explanation, I process - and respond, if I'm going to - sequentially. At the time of /writing/ I hadn't seen your later post, no.

    G.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Mexico: Guns from the U.S., not illegal immigrants, are real problem
    By Coder in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: September 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
  2. Three Hots and Cots for Two Illegal Immigrants...
    By DaveH in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: June 8th, 2010, 10:42 PM
  3. Bad: Wearing American flag insensitive to immigrants
    By AzB in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: May 11th, 2010, 07:31 PM
  4. Roosevelt's IDEA on Immigrants
    By snowdoctor in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 16th, 2006, 03:12 PM
  5. Illegal immigrants and gas prices: Solution
    By Steelhorse in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 30th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Search tags for this page

can a green card holder buy a gun

,

can a green card holder own a gun

,

can someone with a green card buy a gun

,

can you buy a gun with a green card

,

concealed carry for landed immigrants

,

gun laws for green card holder in lansing mi

,

if a american imagrates to canada can he take his guns

Click on a term to search for related topics.