This is a discussion on Immigrants With Guns... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey But then again, would you say that a person born in France is not a "Native Frenchman" because despite the fact ...
- Citizenship and Permanent Resident aren't the same thing;
- "GreenCard" is a common way of referring to Permanent Residents;
- Citizens don't need GreenCards. They're literally "the same as a natural born American" (hence "naturalized"), except for the running for President part;
- You can be here as a non-immigrant alien, on a work- or student-visa, for instance;
- When you get Permanent Resident, you have /almost/ all the same benefits as a citizen; you just can't vote (or server on a Jury?);
- Federally, a Permanent Resident can purchase and own firearms. States may have their own rules. In FLA, for instance, I'm fine.
As mentioned earlier, the process of going from non-immigrant alien to Permanent Resident is... Time-Consuming. I was here on an L1-A visa for a few years, and my company sponsored me through to PR. Took about three years, end-to-end.
Gary Slinger, where did you come here from?
Funny thing was it was quicker to adjust status through the US Embassy in my home country (UK) than it would have been to do it through the INS (immigration and naturalization service) in the US, 2 years instead of 3. The only downside was that I had to fly back to the UK, get all the medical tests, go to the embassy, hope they were no problems or delays, then fly back to the US the next day.
The best thing about getting the green card was being able to go through the citizen line at immigration at Dulles airport instead of the much longer visitor line
Now I've been in the US 5 years as a permanent resident, and finally I am eligible to start the naturalization process.
First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun
And let me say that handing over my passport, to get it back "in a few days" was NOT a comfortable feeling!
Are YOU aware of the fact that I made a follow up post to my original post and stated "That's Cool With Me." because I AM aware of the fact that I don't know everything and I subsequently changed my opinion on that once I became aware of the actual facts?
Please Go Back & Read Thread Post # 20 in this thread.
Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ
Please allow me to put this thread into perspective.
I have been on CombatCarry since its inception.
To the best of my knowledge no CombatCarry forum member (to date) has the political power or clout to make a telephone call to Washington and get Congress to vote on changing the Gun Ownership laws for immigrants...legal, illegal, permanent resident or otherwise.
That fact makes this thread a conglomeration/accumulation of personal opinions.
Rather weightless personal opinions as a reality based matter of fact.
SO...that being the case...should you happen to disagree with the weightless personal opinion of another forum member -
THEN DO IT POLITELY because your opinion or his/hers ain't worth "Squat" - or a bucket of whale puke anyway.