Delaware Drops Virginia - Info on OH, MI & WI

This is a discussion on Delaware Drops Virginia - Info on OH, MI & WI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Delaware this morning removed Virginia from the list of states it honors. I believe this was caused by Virginia allowing training to take place over ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Delaware Drops Virginia - Info on OH, MI & WI

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Delaware this morning removed Virginia from the list of states it honors. I believe this was caused by Virginia allowing training to take place over the internet. I am not sure if VA will drop DE. Time will tell. Handgunlaw.us has been updated to show this change in who honors whose permit/license. Delaware Department of Justice - Attorney Generals Office

Both Ohio and Michigan are taking up legislation this week on changing their Firearm Laws. The bills as passed by one house make major changes. In Michigan Registration/Places off Limits are a couple of the biggies that could be removed. In Ohio they are talking about Universal Recognition, Loaded mags outside the firearm would no longer equal a loaded firearm even with the firearm in the trunk and the mag is in the glove box plus other changes. I am not sure what the outcome will be in these two states but hoping for the best.

Wisconsinís Concealed Carry Law has been in effect for a year. So far WI has issued about 144,000 Concealed Weapons Licenses. That means residents of WI have spent over $7,000,000 to obtain a state license to legally carry a firearm. That does not count what they spent on Firearms/Ammunition/Holsters/Ammo Carriers/Training and other odds and ends to obtain that license. Law Enforcement is not reporting any major problems
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Gary,

They are have a hearing and possible vote on the Ohio bill tomorrow.

It would also remove the re-certification requirement for the second renewal.

It passed the house pretty handily, and should be okay in the Senate if it makes it to a vote before the end of the year.

And Gov. Kasich at one point last year indicated he would sign it.

So, if it makes it to a vote, its likely to pass. Then it takes 90 days to take effect.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

We are hoping. It will cause me some work but work I will enjoy doing. I live on the Ohio River and spend time in Ohio.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

VIP Member
    Well guess I won't be making any trips to DE. Thanks for the update Gary.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Delaware this morning removed Virginia from the list of states it honors. I believe this was caused by Virginia allowing training to take place over the internet.
    Does this mean that by "training" you mean the training required for a CCWP? If that is the case, I would also drop VA. The idea that an internet course will supplant what I would hope is a course that includes a qualified instructor and hands on safety and shooting instruction is irresponsible at best.

I take internet courses almost daily to become more informed & capable regarding Concealed Handgun Carry...right here on Defense Carry. (*But there sure are some terrible instructors around here. )
    atctimmy likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I heard last night it might be because VA dropped their fingerprint requirement. Only the people in DE know for sure.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

How universal IS "the fingerprint requirement"? Is it a common condition of cross-state CCWP recognition? We don't have one & I don't see why it's so important. There's not one on my Driver's License. And after all, that license officially determines both my legal drinking age and my ability to operate a motor vehicle.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

You gotta wonder how pointless it all is, these lists. After all, anyone coming armed to a given state is going to be held to those standards of behavior irrespective of whatever training they've had, however many rounds their gun has, or whether they choose to enter the state asleep and ignorant of all the basic firearms/force laws.

It's mostly a political weapon, I'd say. Pointless, otherwise.
    Ksthumper likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Things are moving in the right direction. Over the last 10 years things have improved greatly when it comes to carrying state to state and even inside states. Yes there are a few setbacks but the pluses outnumber the minuses by a huge number. Ohio and Michigan are debating bills that will relax requirements greatly in their states at this time. Things are improving. We always want things to move faster than they actually do that is human nature. Biggest surprises in the last 10 years is we can now carry in National Parks. Arizona/Alaska have Constitutional Carry for everyone. Wyoming allows it citizens to carry without a permit/license. Oklahoma allows those from permitless carry states to carry in OK with just their state ID. 10 Years ago I would have laughed at you if you would have told me those things would happen.

Things are improving greatly. What I really want to see is Handgunlaw.us become obsolete. That all the states have the same laws and that is it. That is what I want to see and I believe it will happen. I doubt I will see it in my lifetime but it will get there.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Thabks for all the work you do to keep all this insanity somewhat decipherable since there is more to some states honoring your license,but what their carry restrictions are
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

wj
    Thank you for your hard work. You keep us informed as to the states honoring our license and their restrictions.

I believe Virginia dropped the photo requirement, not the fingerprint requirement. It is easy to accept that the on-line certification is too easy, with no hands-on experience; but at least it is a higher threshold than we require of our voting rights.

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    I believe Virginia dropped the photo requirement, not the fingerprint requirement. It is easy to accept that the on-line certification is too easy, with no hands-on experience; but at least it is a higher threshold than we require of our voting rights.
    What photo requirement? You do have to have a photo ID with you, but no photo on the CCW.
    As to fingerprints, that had been optional for a long time. Now it's not allowed. One less hassle.
    I remember when I got my first one. There wasnt even a form for it. We just wrote a letter explaining why we needed them, (work related) and after a short time we had them. This was before VA became shall issue.

Yeah, I got my VCDL email this morning informing me of this news. Doesn't make any difference to me anyhow since I never have and never will go to DE anyhow. Reason being, I would have to go through DC and MD to get there, and I refuse to travel through either of those.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Links