Good: Illinois MUST pass concealed carry law - Page 4

Good: Illinois MUST pass concealed carry law

This is a discussion on Good: Illinois MUST pass concealed carry law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If they're going to be forced, and assuming any appeal to SCOTUS results in the same thing, then I'm assuming it'll be something like California's: ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Good: Illinois MUST pass concealed carry law

If they're going to be forced, and assuming any appeal to SCOTUS results in the same thing, then I'm assuming it'll be something like California's: might-never-issue, with power to be arbitrarily set (read: able to be coerced by the politicos); extreme rationale (read: need) required to issue; magazine limits; caliber limits; AWB crap tossed in for good measure; exhorbitant fees to get the CHL.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I saw a quote by one of their lawmakers (from Chicago of course) that basically said that they would be trying to get as restrictive as possible, because they didn't want a whole bunch of guns out on the street and that was just common sense. They definitely don't have common sense or they'd be trying to get as many legal citizens out there to counteract the terrrorists known as criminals.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

EHaw, thats a start in the right direction!
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Domr View Post
    I didn't have a chance to read the whole opinion, however I did see them reference NYC's restrictions. I would expect something similar (although they'll want to apply it to the whole state and not just Chicago). Personally I wish Chicago would just seceed and form their own state. They can keep their budget woes, high taxes, corrupt politicians and gang wars. That way they can stop feeling the need to impose their will on the rest of the state! No offense to anyone who lives on Chicago...but even if you do live there you've gotta admit they have BIG problems. Trouble is the government is happy to blame the guns rather than the gangs and drug peddlers. But I digress :)
    The gangs and drug peddlers only exist because the government has created a niche market for them. Supply and demand, my friend.

Senior Moderator
    Y'all are so negative.

Maybe Illinois will choose to be a shining example of freedom to the rest of the country and decide not to even issue permits and let anyone that may... carry concealed.

Stranger things have happened.

DPro.40, thephanatik and Yetiman like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm sure they will make it as restrictive as possible but it is at least a step in the right direction. As a former resident and Illinois native, I am glad they are at least leaning in the right direction on this...even if they don't want to!

Congrats Illinois. I couldn't believe my eyes.
    MASSIVE likes this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

I didn't even know about the lawsuit, but I've been watching the legislative evolution over the last few years. The legislature fell short by only six votes from over-riding the governor's veto the last time around. I've always thought even Chicago would ultimately be drug kicking and screaming into concealed carry. The fight is certainly not over, but this ruling gives pro-gun legislators (both Democrats and Republicans) a degree of clout missing before. In my view, it's about time the citizens of Chicago--especially the most affected folks in tough areas--be given the right to take back their communities. Clearly, the astonishing level of criminal violence in those areas has undercut the absurd agenda of Chicago's Emperor. I think it's also helpful to compare Illinois' struggle with that of other states. After a more modest carry law is passed (even with some less than desirable provisions) the public discovers that Chicken Little's sky did not fall and better, less restrictive legislation eventually takes its place. I suspect we'll see that pattern recur in the land of Lincoln.

PC

Here's what it will end up looking like once the Illinois political machine gets its hands on it:

- permits only valid on a blue moon
    - permits only valid for guns made in Outer Mongolia
    - requirement that licensee holders pass background check, including having all friends, neighbors, kindergarten through college teachers/professors interviewed, have nothing on their record worse than a parking ticket,
    - have DNA samples taken
    - ballistics tests done on their Outer Mongolia guns with bullets kept for forensic matching
    - license holders must walk backwards, wearing a "I'm packing heat" t shirt, while whistling "Dixie" so that everyone knows who you are

Licenses will be valid for 15 minutes, on that blue moon, between 4:45 and 5am. Process to obtain license will take 3 years, and cost $5000, and require signing over your first born child to the Illinois Democratic Party.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I have to say that no matter what happens, this is the most "hope" I've ever felt as a resident of IL. And I'm thankful for that.
    Pistology likes this.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    I have to say that no matter what happens, this is the most "hope" I've ever felt as a resident of IL. And I'm thankful for that.
    I agree. the universe has indeed been turned upside down. On the same day the Federal courts tell Illinois they have to pass a CC law and Michigan becomes a right to work state. You couldn't have gotten odds on this in Vegas. They will go down kicking and screaming but their only appeal is to SCOTUS and I don't see SCOTUS taking the case as 49 other states have CC and it is constitutional to do so. So what can they argue with SCOTUS? One thing they need here is revenue. They will impose, imho, a large fee for a carry permit and rake in the dough.

Hats off and a huge thank you to the NRA for their efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by MP.carrying.MP View Post
    Im in central IL and yes im just about dancing in the street! Take that Crook County! I agree it will be restricted and probably an ungodly price for a carry permit. Wouldnt be suprised to see same price as a vehicle for a year. $99. But ya never know...

Man in West Virginia I paid 135 dollars to get my concealed weapons permit in October. I have no idea why it cost so much because PA residents pay like 20 bucks a pop I think.

Congrats on the ruling though! Hopefully you will have a permit within the next year!

Ya gotta' love the Peoples Republic of Illinois. I recently traveled to Illinois and concealed carry while I was there. I can carry in other states under the federal law: LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act). I had visions of some poe-dunk law enforcement jurisdiction stopping me and arresting me. I have no doubt there are jurisdictions that are unaware of the federal law allowing properly identified and qualified LEO's to carry in all states.
    The concealed carry ruling is a small victory for Illinois but, like everyone else has said, there will be A LOT of stipulations with their concealed carry laws.

A small victory for the citizens of Illinois, but I think the larger benefit is building case law decisions so that even if we get new, more liberal SC judge appointments, there is less chance of them mucking up the 2A. the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals does hold some weight with the SC.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    it ain't over until the law is actually on the books. I seriously doubt this will come to pass anytime soon, regardless of what the court says.
    I grew up in Illinois and saw many attempts to pass a concealed carry law go down in flames at the hand of the Chicago Machine.
    The ruling has been "stayed" for 180 days in order to give them time to legislate something. If they fail to get something passed in 180 days, the ruling stay is lifted and it would be wide open for open/concealed carry and nobody could be prosecuted for it and, if anyone was, they would be able to appeal and then file a civil suit which could cost the state/municipalities big. So, I think they'll have incentive enough to get it done by then. But I think they'll make it as restrictive as possible and the SAF will probably have to sue them again.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links