Good: Illinois MUST pass concealed carry law

This is a discussion on Good: Illinois MUST pass concealed carry law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never did understand how something could be legal in one state but illegal in another state when our country is name the UNITED STATES OF ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Good: Illinois MUST pass concealed carry law

Never did understand how something could be legal in one state but illegal in another state
    when our country is name the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. More likely they will say
    ALL THE OTHER STATES ARE WRONG & ILLINOIS IS CORRECT,,,,, ILLEGAL EVERY WHERE ELSE.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "The Supreme Court has decided that [2A] confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside," the judges ruled."
    Heartening and true to patriots' dreams is this quote from WSJ's JOE PALAZZOLO:
    Alan Gura, another lawyer for the Illinois plaintiffs, said the Supreme Court recognized that states have a role to play in regulating the right to bear arms for self-defense. "But a law that totally prohibits or which leaves it up to the unbridled discretion of a licensing official to determine whether you get to enjoy something that is your right isn't going to fly," he said.
    Because where "unbridled discretion" denies self defense as a good cause for carry, as does the sheriff in LA County, this ruling may restore rights. Again, from WSJ
    In a 2-1 ruling, the Seventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the Illinois legislature acted unconstitutionally decades ago when it barred people other than law enforcement from carrying a loaded gun outside the home or carrying unloaded guns that can easily be reached.
    This applies closely to LA and many other counties in CA.
    Americans have a constitutional right to carry loaded guns outside their homes, a federal appeals court said Tuesday, striking down an Illinois law and potentially teeing up the Supreme Court's next major Second Amendment case.
    And lefties, righties, or any gun controllers will probably continue laying low.
    Rep. Brandon Phelps, who has repeatedly sponsored concealed weapons legislation, hailed the measure as a “mandate.... [He] warned that gun control groups who might want to appeal the issue to the U.S. Supreme Court might put strict laws in other states in jeopardy.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Guys I hate to argue with all of you,but...... With the 180 day stay it gives us more leverage then we could have dreamed. Chicago does not want constitutional unrestricted carry. We have enough downstate votes to block any "may issue" or overly restrictive bill. We are quietly sitting in the catbird seat. They dont play with us, we block anything they try to pass, and bingo our Foid card becomes our CCW or open carry permit. That just will not happen. Heller decision was quoted several times in the ruling; so I dont see SCOTUS taking up the appeal. It is a good day in Illinois!!!!!!
    Pistology, tmoore912 and beararms like this.

My bet is that you will end up just like Maryland. A "may" issue state that always finds a reason not to issue, unless you are "important" like a judge or state legislator. But I hope for the best for you.

VIP Member
    A couple of pathetic responses

House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie, a longtime gun control advocate, said... “If we need to change the law, let us at least craft a law that is very severely constrained and narrowly tailored so that we don’t invite guns out of control on each of our city’s streets,” Currie said. “I don’t want people out of control wandering the streets with guns that are out of control.”...

“As the dissenting opinion points out, the two judges who threw out Illinois' law did not take account of the danger to the public from stray bullets, and they ignored the Illinois legislature's determination that carrying weapons has been shown to escalate violence,” said Lee Goodman, an organizer with the Stop Concealed Carry Coalition, in a statement. “The decision, contrary to fundamental legal principles, took away the people's right, through their state legislatures, to make laws to protect themselves that are relevant to the conditions present in each state.”
    Decades of empirical evidence in states that have least restrictive CCW notwithstanding, the above two politicians missed the following text of the ruling:
    "The theoretical and empirical evidence (which overall is inconclusive) is consistent with concluding that a right to carry firearms in public may promote self-defense. Illinois had to provide us with more than merely a rational basis for believing that its uniquely sweeping ban is justified by an increase in public safety. It has failed to meet this burden.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    LETS hope NYC and other "ordinance" deny carry CITIES will follow suit citing a federal standard
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I live in Illinois and have been an active participant in calling my representatives. Todd V. the NRA Illinois rep is very adamant about passing a reasonable law. Currently we have HB 148 that put a lot of safety checks in place but not to restrictive. If they (anti-gunner) try and put a super restrictive law in effect then we will hit them with more litigation. We want HB 148 passed but I'd be ecstatic about constitutional carry like in Alaska or Vermont.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by mardet View Post
    My bet is that you will end up just like Maryland. A "may" issue state that always finds a reason not to issue, unless you are "important" like a judge or state legislator. But I hope for the best for you.
    I disagree. I think this will open an avenue for them states to become less restrictive. Specifically where it is said the 2A give the right to carry LOADED weapons. And even challenge the shall issue due to the victories verbiage. If anything they will originally pass less restrictive laws because if they try to jump on a restrictive state law then those laws could come into question if not excepted by this ruling.

Quote Originally Posted by newhunter1 View Post
    I live in Illinois and have been an active participant in calling my representatives. Todd V. the NRA Illinois rep is very adamant about passing a reasonable law. Currently we have HB 148 that put a lot of safety checks in place but not to restrictive. If they (anti-gunner) try and put a super restrictive law in effect then we will hit them with more litigation. We want HB 148 passed but I'd be ecstatic about constitutional carry like in Alaska or Vermont.
    I disagree with HB148, I say we scrap it and introduce one more similar to Indiana or Missouri. I would love if No gun signs carry no weight of law. Let's not settle now. Push one through we actually want.
    tmoore912 and msgt/ret like this.

I just got done reading HB148 which is the text of the law that they are trying to push through. It is pretty straightforward if you ask me. The thing I like the most is if you are caught in a prohibited place you can be caught 3 times before worrying about having your permit revoked. PLus most of the fines are only $150!

Re: Good: Illinois MUST pass concealed carry law

Duplicate post

Re: Good: Illinois MUST pass concealed carry law

Quote Originally Posted by ccwillinois View Post
    Guys I hate to argue with all of you,but...... With the 180 day stay it gives us more leverage then we could have dreamed. Chicago does not want constitutional unrestricted carry. We have enough downstate votes to block any "may issue" or overly restrictive bill. We are quietly sitting in the catbird seat. They dont play with us, we block anything they try to pass, and bingo our Foid card becomes our CCW or open carry permit. That just will not happen. Heller decision was quoted several times in the ruling; so I dont see SCOTUS taking up the appeal. It is a good day in Illinois!!!!!!
    ^^^ This.

The antis do not have enough votes to pass a may issue law. So either they opt for shall issue or no deal and constitutional carry goes into effect. Though they might try to appeal and put this ticking clock on hold.

Also, this does not preclude Crook County from passing onerous requirements to disincentivize people from getting a carry license. Bottom line is things may not change much for Crook county residents, but this is a huge victory for residents in other IL counties.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I can see it now, "concealed carry on every other day, betweeen the hours of 12 to 2 AM and you can only have one bullet..."

Let's hope and pray for better though.
    Exactly.

Crime doesn't randomly strike (or target you) only on Tuesdays, or only on walks in alleys, or only while driving home from work. And it strikes just as frequently for those who've run up against the might-never-issue type schemes in New York City, San Francisco, and other such places.

Hopefully SAF/NRA have their sights set on NYC, DC, and all other states' practices that are in effect might-never-issue schemes. Those people are just as assuredly disarmed and criminalized as the folks in Illinois have been. And IMO it should be taken to be just as unconstitutional as in this Chicago ruling.

Hopefully the court will make this sort of thing plain, in plain language, with severe "teeth" in their response for any daring to contemptuously continue this train of deliberate misconstruing of the rulings that we've seen for the past several years. It's time, IL, NY, DC, CA ...
    Pistology likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Regardless of how it plays out and what the ultimate law will look like, this is a huge step forward.

No doubt about it, Illinois and DC were the main two hold outs having absolutely draconian gun laws. So, we can assume it's probably not going to be an "ideal" ccw statute, but again, it's a huge victory.

Now if we can get ccw legal in DC, then we can work on getting the ccw laws in those areas more appropriate for true law abiding citizens.

Good Job Illinois!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It would be great if the entire state was affected and everyone could CC. But it would at least be a huge step if they made the decision to let each County Sheriff make the call too. I know there's a lot of CA talk in here but pretty much the way it works is if you live in a big city county, you're screwed. If you live anywhere else in the state that has a Sheriff with common sense, you're golden. Is it not like this in other "May Issue" states? I like the idea of spreading out the decision making to the locals rather than a few in the big cities tying the hands of the entire state if it's May Issue we're talking about.

If we're talking square miles, CA is probably 4/5 Will Issue, even though it's a May Issue state and that's just due to the graces of the County Sheriff who is given the authority to issue a license at his or her discretion. It could change county to county but for now that's the way it is. Even Sacramento County jumped on the wagon and started issuing CCW licenses. And as far as CC laws, CA isn't very restrictive as far as where you can or can't go, e.g. signs don't carry weight of law. Go figure. I know that CA has it's share of ridiculous gun laws so don't get me wrong there, but it could be worse as far as CCW regulation.

Good Luck IL! And give them the fight of their lives over there!

P.S. If this materializes, brace yourselves for the flood of Wally World Walk reports.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links