Neighbour of mine and Carry Permits.

This is a discussion on Neighbour of mine and Carry Permits. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have great neighbours about a block away that I have chatted with while out walking the dog (carrying concealed of course). They are both ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Neighbour of mine and Carry Permits.

Neighbour of mine and Carry Permits.

I have great neighbours about a block away that I have chatted with while out walking the dog (carrying concealed of course). They are both super. The subject came up about crime, guns etc and I told him that I have a WV permit. He enquired about him getting one, so I gave him all the necessary information. His wife however has a fear of firearms from bad experience from long ago.

I play the drums in a loose knit group that gets together Tuesdays for jam sessions a a local Pizza place. They come to listen and enjoy the food. Well, this past Tuesday I saw them come in and when we took a break from playing, I went to talk to them.

He told me "I just got my carry permit in the mail!"

I was pleased, and now I know someone else in my "hood that carries. I also told them about the break-in at my home, so now he is even happier that he has the permit and can carry his pistola outside of the home and yard just in case one of the local knuckle draggers attempt to come into their home.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I read the thread and I reread the thread and I just cannot get a handle on its purpose. I'm glad the two of you now have CCWPs. That's it?

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I read the thread and I reread the thread and I just cannot get a handle on its purpose. I'm glad the two of you now have CCWPs. That's it?
    Basically, yes. I really didn't know where to put this but I was happy the guy did indeed get his concealed carry permit and I was instrumental in having that happen.

If this needs moved or deleted, let me know.

CJM
    Good thread.
    JoJoGunn and goldmaster like this.

VIP Member
    Hopefully he does more than just get his permit. It takes training (more than just shooting targets) to know the when's, what's and how's of using your weapon. I hope you steered him towards here.
    JoJoGunn and DocT65 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Hopefully he does more than just get his permit. It takes training (more than just shooting targets) to know the when's, what's and how's of using your weapon. I hope you steered him towards here.
    He did indeed talk about the "need" to learn more firearm safety, and yes, I have "steered" him towards the DC forum. I don't know if he is a member or not but perhaps.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Now that the neighbor has a permit, hopefully he (and you) get a home alarm, etc. As you've found out, all the guns and permits in the world are useless when no one's home, and that's when the vast majority of break-ins occur.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OK, that's one you convinced...good work!
    Now...there are millions more, get to work.
    BenGoodLuck and JoJoGunn like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I read your post and I reread your post and I just cannot get a handle on it's purpose. I'm glad you have the ability to type. That's it?

Good on ya JoJo, thanks for the story.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I have great neighbours about a block away...
    The further away the neighbor lives the better.

I wish one of my neighbors lived a block away.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Bravo Zulu! If anything you have a possible new range buddy.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Well done! Hopefully his wife comes around too. Keep up the good work.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    JoJoGunn wanted to share a success story - a permit holder helped someone who was interested in carrying overcome their fear (objections) and he's now joined the good guys who carry to protect themselves and their loved ones. Great job JoJoGunn!
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

It doesn't take much to win the hearts and minds of those who are not diametrically opposed to having firearms for self protection. In most cases, all they have to do is see the news, and be shown there is a way to protect themselves more of the time against an increasingly criminal society.

I'm glad you were able to get him more firmly on "our side." I'm glad he's interested in more training. I'm glad that there's one less easy victim in the world...

Yes, you still need to increase your own security at the house, for while you're away; and that's a lesson we all learned from.

Good on ya! Keep up the good work! And, carry on... Both of you!
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Nice job JoJo!!! Now, in addition to firearm safety, both of you should look into getting some good defensive pistol training from a "reputable" instructor. The journey never ends Sir...Learn, Train, and TRAIN SOME MORE...JMO
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links