"Made" because of Flashlight?

This is a discussion on "Made" because of Flashlight? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Ya'll I just bought a Surefire C3 and I was thinking should I carry it hidden from view or on a belt clip type ...

Thread: "Made" because of Flashlight?

"Made" because of Flashlight?

Hey Ya'll

I just bought a Surefire C3 and I was thinking should I carry it hidden from view or on a belt clip type thing? The reason I ask this is because I wonder how many have been "made" because someone saw the taclight and did the math?

Thanks
    MikeV

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    IMO, the only people who are going to associate a Surefire to CCW would be another CCW. To everyone else, they are just flashlights.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I can a knife and a taclight in plain view, the only thing I even try to conceal is the pistol itself.

The statutes here state that as long as the handgun is not discernable through ordinary observation it is concealed.

The only ones around here that have ever even mentioned are people that already knew I still carry because of my former job and a lot of people still address me as Sgt. Dunn anyways.

It was much harder with cuffs, extra mag, light, knife, and 2 guns to conceal all of it.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Lead Moderator
    I keep the light hidden, I consider it a tell tale to some folks. the more gear/ ect. exposed makes you look less like a sheep and more like a sheepdog.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I think I hold with the "only those who 'know' are gonna know" view.

And in truth, as someone said, you're not legally exposing your gun if you have stuff that offers clues that you're carrying -- it's still concealed, right?

I carry a flashlight in a nylon belt holster -- usually a MiniMagLED or an Inova T2. Most of the time, though, it's covered over by a shirt. I don't worry that people know it's there, even when it does show.

I really do feel that 99% of people see "just a flashlight." They probably figure the carrier for being in the service trades or something -- a workin' guy. Salt of the earth.

Mike, if I get your question, I would have to assume that since you are living in the People Republic of Maryland you can't carry. Therefore, who cares about a flashlight, knife, "Protected by Smith and Wesson" bumper sticker etc. I've stopped concerning myself about "Yells Gun" equipment simply because I can carry legally. I do know a few county/city police officers in Maryland, and they are quite aware of the tools of the trade...
    Last edited by RjVA; October 11th, 2006 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Can't spell...
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Quote Originally Posted by RjVA View Post
    Mike, if I get your question, I would have to assume that since you are living in the People Republic of Maryland you can't carry. Therefore, who cares about a flashlight, knife, "Protected by Smith and Wesson" bumper sticker etc. I've stopped concerning myself about "Yells Gun" equipment simply because I can carry legally. I do know a few county/city police officers in Maryland, and they are quite aware of the tools of the trade...
    Your right, ATM I cannot legally carry a firearm in MD. So I don't carry a firearm at all in MD. However I am in process of getting OoS permit from VA. I have family in VA and visit them frequently.
    I also have have gotten some advise from some in the know as how to better my chances of being granted permission by the state to exercise one of my Constitutional Rights so I am pursuing that as well.
    I just wanted to get a "more experienced view point" on this matter.

I hope this clearifies things for you.

Thanks MikeV

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    Your right, ATM I cannot legally carry a firearm in MD. So I don't carry a firearm at all in MD. However I am in process of getting OoS permit from VA. I have family in VA and visit them frequently.
    I also have have gotten some advise from some in the know as how to better my chances of being granted permission by the state to exercise one of my Constitutional Rights so I am pursuing that as well.
    I just wanted to get a "more experienced view point" on this matter.

I hope this clearifies things for you.

Thanks MikeV
    Good luck with that MD permit. My brother tried for years with no luck at all... Once you get your VA permit, you'll want to move here permanently!!!
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Links