Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest?

This is a discussion on Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Armor or No armor. If the situation set itself up that I had opportunity to engage, I would. I'm not going to get into the ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest?

Armor or No armor.
    If the situation set itself up that I had opportunity to engage, I would.
    I'm not going to get into the decision making leading up to that moment. That is all very dependant on too many variables to discuss.

But, once its decided that its time to do somthing, armor is not a real concern.
    Fight hard, fast, and aggressive. You WILL break the shooters fantastical plan. Fight until the threat is neutralized.

Training...Practice...Training...Practice.
    Secret Spuk and KBSR like this.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Solution is called "head shot".
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

NRA Patron Member

If they had more targets then me there is no way I would draw his attention to me. If I was the next target why not I might get lucky. I watched that video of the california bank robbery where they had body armor and automatic weapons. The part I dont understand is all those cops got shot in their cars or running from thier cars why didnt they just hit them with the car? I dont think body armor is much good against a car.

GH
    I would have to assess the situation before I acted in any manner including running away. Protecting my family with any means possible is my first responsibility. I come second (only because I know I at least am willing to protect my family & won't take the chance on anyone else doing that). Others in the immediate area come third. As I'm used to combat situations, that is if anyone can really get used to that, the assessment phase would conclude in a very short time & then it would be time to act. I would not turn into a sheep regardless what the situation was.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Administrator
    Why do people think that body armor means invincible? It doesn't; it just means more likely to survive COM hits. Nothing more, nothing less.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Safety first... I would NOT engage.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I might wonder if said BG had a bullet-proof jockstrap on. A couple of low rounds might deflate him.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am not going looking for the shooter. I am looking for cover first and foremost. However if I am unfortunate enough to have things unfold in front of me I would hope I noticed something wrong with the shooter. Clothing and stance would hopefully tell me that standing near this person is not a good idea. Again if I don't have time I am using that lump of steel and plastic in my belt because that is why I spent the money on it and the training and the license to legally carry it with me. Based on that you tube vid I am thinking my 9mm+P rounds will have a little more effect than that .32 had. I will double tap COM and follow up with one high for a head shot.

At least that is what I am hoping I would do. To be honest I truly hope I never need to find out what I would really do....
    StarPD45 and KoB like this.

Since I can't run I would get to good cover,and if he presents a target,then he is getting engaged,For everybody thats worried about any legal ramifiations of shooting a BG,know your state laws,here in Tx not only is SD legal,but using deadly force in the aid of a 3rd party is also covered.
    With all the movement if you have good cover and concealment the shooter may never see from where the shot came from that took him out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    My first duty would be to ensure the safety of my family by getting them out of the line of fire. If I could best accomplish this by not engaging the shooter, then I would not engage.

If I had to engage, then I would shoot center mass. Most BG's are not wearing bullet proof vests but some type of Load bearing vest. Even if they were wearing a bullet proof vest, 158 gr Hydrashoks are going to hurt a lot
    I might have to disagree with that watching the two LA bank robbers with AK-47's getting hit multiple times with body armor! As far as I know, they were not even high on any drugs?

But I agree that, if all possible, get you and your family the hell out of Dodge ASAP. IMHO, the only time you ever engage is if there's no other option. JMHO?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

It doesn't take a Rambo to take defensive/offensive action against an enemy. If that's all it takes to be a Rambo, then the military is full of "Rambo"s.

EDIT: Post that I responded to and that started the Rambo talk has been deleted. Please disregard subsequent posts regarding this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I might have to disagree with that watching the two LA bank robbers with AK-47's getting hit multiple times with body armor! As far as I know, they were not even high on any drugs?

But I agree that, if all possible, get you and your family the hell out of Dodge ASAP. IMHO, the only time you ever engage is if there's no other option. JMHO?
    During the 1986 Miami shootout Michael Platt (also not on drugs) took 00 buckshot to the legs and feet and continued to attack. If an individual is determined then only a CNS shot will put them out of action.

And in the North Hollywood shootout according to Wikipedia (for what it's worth) they were they took phenobarbital before the robbery and each man was shot and penetrated by at least ten bullets, yet both continued to attack
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post

IIRC, they were on drugs, and had a definite aversion to going back to prison. I would engage once my family's safe, or if they were threatened. As others have said, COM, then head or pelvic girdle shots
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

It doesn't take a rambo to meet a threat and respond with force. If you have nothing positive to contribute to the conversation, then go your own way. If you have a problem with all these "forum rambos", then feel free to go elsewhere.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch_Carbide View Post
    It takes one to meet a threat carrying a rifle and vest with a handgun. Of course, if there were really any of these forum rambos there they would have likely wet their pants and ran the other way.
    as I don't know you, I will refrain from commenting on what your action would be. As you don't know most people's backgrounds here, I suggest you do the same. If I had to,I would engage someone with a rifle &vest if I only had a handgun. Would I want to? No, but that's not always an option, as circumstances aren't always your choosing. Violence of action counts for a lot though.
    rmxer85 likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links