Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest? - Page 4

Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest?

This is a discussion on Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A .45 may not penetrate a vest, but the impact will knock somebody down. The Clackamas shooter did not have a bulletproof vest, however. Some ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest?

A .45 may not penetrate a vest, but the impact will knock somebody down.
    The Clackamas shooter did not have a bulletproof vest, however. Some kind of cargo vest.

Head, neck, knee, arm, thigh; all fair game...and the groin. Don't forget the groin...and the rear end..hips, rear groin, quick incapacitation.

Clackamas mall shooter used stolen rifle; Wash. bill would change self-defense law

Authorities in Clackamas County say the rifle used by gunman Jacob Tyler Roberts was stolen earlier on the day of his rampage at a popular shopping mall from a person known to the suspect.

Oregon mall shooter used stolen rifle; Wash. bill would change self-defense law - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

As others have stated so far in this topic, a vest doesn't make one invincible - neither does carrying a rifle. In most circumstances, a few well placed shots will end a threat.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

First I have never been in direct combat so I speak only on my feelings. From the stories I read about these random shooting, the shooters may have had practice shooting their weapons before going to a Mall to shoot people. However I don't think they will continue on their merry way shooting people if bullets start flying by their heads and hitting them even if they had a bulletproof vest. They may head for cover or even crap in their pants. Hopefully it may save lives however it is only my opinion. Any idea's......

Whether or not you intervene is really situational to me. The bullet proof vest could be worn underneath so no one would see it in which case you wouldn't know but I feel pretty sure any larger caliber would at least knock the BG down. Otherwise try to make a headshot.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Just for the sake of accuracy, Jacob Roberts the Oregon mall shooter was not wearing a BP vest he was wearing a load bearing vest. Not the same thing.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphdmansoc View Post
    I think that young man in the video is eligible for a Pell grant.
    You put that so nicely. I think both of those nice young men in the video are exactly the kind of young men that our dear divine leader would feel comfortable calling his sons. If Trayvon fits his image of perfection, these guys do also.
    pittypat21 and First Sgt like this.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    BP vest or not.
    Just think (IF) several legal carry people, well trained, were to cut loose on the BG wearing a vest. GAME OVER!

Well I can wish can't I?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    To engage or not to engage is a thing you must train for as well as the BGs having body armor. The LEOs do and CCs should train for the worst case which means you would practice the two shots center mass and a head shot. As some have stated, a hit on center mass of body armor will stun the BG. I'm sure you've heard shoot the bg to the ground! We been lucky as the recent deranged mass murders have been loners and not a group like at Columbine.

Again do you train every month? If not, you're not prepared!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Senior Moderator
    Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest?
    In a New York second.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

All involved in that video were idiots.

As for the OP, that's a tough call on what to do. Loud echos from gunfire can be deceiving and I don't picture myself dialing in and tracking it to engage a rifle with a handgun even if they were wearing shorts and a T-shirt. If I'm there with my family, the gunshots will be behind us, we will be running and I will be trying to guide them to the best cover or exit that I see. Speculation of course but I really don't want to find out. The only thing I know is that my family will be number one.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Ex Member
    Well since I don't have the Police Union, or the City, going to be willing to pay MY legal bills if I hit someone else, or the BG's family suing me for millions for a wrongful death, if it ain't me, or my family I will listen to Massod Ayoob's advice and STAY THE HELL OUT OF IT.
    Billb1960 likes this.

Just a few thoughts on the matter...

A chest rack filled with loaded mags WILL stop your rounds.

A shooter wearing level 4 armor or a makeshift equivalent like the N. Hollywood B of A robbers, will feel your handgun rounds hit him, but you should not expect much else. They will certainly want to retaliate.

When law enforcement arrives, if you're seen with a gun in your hands, they'll shoot you.

My opinions : It's up to you if you intervene. I'm not about to encourage cowardice. They're killing people. If you have a fighting chance to stop them, and the balls, why not?

If it looks like they're potentially armored, aim for the head and neck. Keep aiming and shooting until they go down.

The sides of any armor setup are generally more vulnerable.

If you can't make those aimed hits when the time comes (you'll know) save your ammo and run for it.

Until you're ready to fire your handgun, keep it in the holster. Even if you're determined to neutralize the shooter and maneuvering on his position, it needs to stay holstered. Doing this may keep law enforcement from killing you. If you've put the shooter down and are scanning for an accomplice, gun goes right back in the holster. If your carry method doesn't allow for a proper firing grip while holstered, or easy reholstering, consider upgrading your gear.

Practice shooting your guns more.

If you're out with the family when something like this goes down, you've got your hands full. Forget about assaulting the perpetrators and get your loved ones to safety.

Just my lowly 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.
    Darrow75 and KBSR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    You put that so nicely. I think both of those nice young men in the video are exactly the kind of young men that our dear divine leader would feel comfortable calling his sons. If Trayvon fits his image of perfection, these guys do also.
    I was wondering when someone would get around to making this about Obama.
    Phaedrus likes this.

Last I checked my CHL didn't say anything about being a LEO. Unless the shooter is between you and the only available exit then theres really no good reason to engage him whether he's wearing armor or not. Now having said that if I'm in full view of the shooter and can find some cover to get to them maybe it's worth engaging but to say you're going to go toe to toe in the open with a rifle armed, body armor equipped Bad Guy sounds like suicide to me.
    1 old 0311 likes this.

Even if I wasn't a LEO, I couldn't stand by and do nothing if I had the potential to save lives. But that's me.
    KBSR likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links