Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest?

This is a discussion on Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TumblingFTW I carry a Five-seveN loaded with (legal) ammunition that will penetrate multiple Level IIIa vests (the heaviest soft armor you can ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Would you intervene in a shooting attack where shooter has bulletproof vest?

Quote Originally Posted by TumblingFTW View Post
    I carry a Five-seveN loaded with (legal) ammunition that will penetrate multiple Level IIIa vests (the heaviest soft armor you can buy). So yes, if I was near an active shooter I would drop him in a New York second.

Those of you that think you are going to stop an adrenaline-rushed madman with body shots to his armor, or even more laughable, a head-shot, are dreaming. You always shoot center mass and hope a few of your bullets hit.

If you have a common pistol caliber - 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP - and the perp has BA, you are best served avoiding a confrontation. All these reports lately of shooters with BA make me more thankful each and every day that I bought and carry a Five-seveN.
    no matter what caliber firearm u have, I know that if u carry a pistol with 10+ shots, your chances are good of hitting them in the head or taking a leg shot and maybe making the BG flinch long enough to maybe let some people escape. I'm gamed for that. I carry a .40 cal pistol with 16 shots. I practice with it at least 5 times a week, and am confident that I could shoot a perp in the head or groin. Besides I always carry 3 spare 15 round mags. Not to mention that most badguys are just a couple of psyco mommas boy, who don't have a life in the 1st place. The thought of some one shooting back would probably scare the pants off of them and they would most likely give up Or be killed.

2. Remove Ads

Ron
    One other thing to think about in the mass shooting scenario, is that if you draw your gun and are looking for a clear shot at the shooter, amidst the panic that will occur, you risk getting shot by the police who arrive at the scene, not knowing who is the shooter, and who is the good guy.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Vests are a part of our training here, anyway. If high center of mass doesn't stop the aggressor on the first volley of shots, you tap, rack, reassess, try again, then shoot for the pelvis. Vests only go down to about the navel, and once you hit a person in the hips and shatter the pelvis, they drop where they stand, and most likely bleed out very quickly. That area of the body is mandatory to make your legs work, and there is a LOT of blood flow there as well. It's also a much larger targer, and not as fast-moving as a head, so it tends to be a more preferable target than a head shot when facing an adversary in body armor.

Just remember: Torso, then Pelvis. I even practice these combinations at the range, so it stays at the forefront of my mind. Then again, I wear body armor at work, so I think about someone else having it, too.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links