Why do we carry?

This is a discussion on Why do we carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never had a Facebook account to post anything,but I get the rationale. I use the spare tire, seat belt, insurance thing when people ask me. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Why do we carry?

Never had a Facebook account to post anything,but I get the rationale. I use the spare tire, seat belt, insurance thing when people ask me. Better to have and not need, than need and not have
    aus71383 likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

This may not be a popular comment but I believe any owner of a businees has the right to post a no-gun sign in their place of business. If I had a business that served alcohol, it would be posted as well.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Always carry,,,,, never tell,,,,, no one's business since ,,,,,I do not go
    places that post against carrying,,,,, decided long time ago not to
    support those who DO NOT SUPPORT ME.
    A few elitists shouldn't rule the many.
    Better to have a 380 in your pocket than a 45 at HOME.
    When seconds count, police are minutes away.

I don't tell very many people that I carry. Most of my family knows, and they approve. My wife also has her CHL, my oldest daughter and her husband both shoot, my youngest daughter and her husband both shoot and intend to get their permits and also want me to teach my granddaughters how to shoot, etc. Another daughter wants a gun, but is stuck living in the "Peoples Republic of Illinois", which is currently controlled by "Crook" county/Chicago. Maybe in a couple of years things will finally change there. A few friends know I carry and a neighbor, who also owns guns. Other than that, very few people know I carry or even that I own guns. I don't put NRA or gun related decals/bumper stickers on my vehicles. Concealed means concealed. And trying to convince the radical anti gun liberals is a waste of time. They do NOT think logically--only emotionally, and chances of changing their mind is slim to none, in my opinion.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I'm going stay armed at all times to keep me and mine safe...I don't really care what anyone else thinks or says about it.
    Glhadiator and pfries like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

BTW, forgot to mention that I don't think the policy of no guns is new for Buffalo Wild Wings. The ones around here in Ohio have been posted since the law in Ohio changed last year to allow guns in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. Before that, they didn't need to be posted, as carrying in a bar or restaurant that served alcohol was illegal anyway. I believe BWW has always been anti gun.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    I can't speak to why we carry but I carry because the lives of my loved ones are worth accepting the 'extra' responsibility that comes along with carrying.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    This may not be a popular comment but I believe any owner of a businees has the right to post a no-gun sign in their place of business. If I had a business that served alcohol, it would be posted as well.
    as the owner,are you providing security since you are posting your business?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    "I don't engage in these arguments with anyone. The solution is simple... no one needs to know about my guns or if I carry one or not. My business only. I don't bring it up nor do I try to convince people."

This will be the best answer in this thread.....The fewer people that know you carry, the better. Let them come to grips with their own sense of need. If they don't have one, it's on them.
    Well Stated.

I carry because I feel that since my girlfriend lives with me I have to obligation to protect her as well as myself. I think that every American has the right to choose what is best for them, I choose to protect myself and my loved ones, not expecting the police or government to do it.

Why do we carry?

To end a fight I never wanted to be in. Due to my job there are a lot of people that dislike me. Living in the area I work does not help. I don't like going out with my 1 and 1/2 year old son and seeing the dirt balls I deal with daily. It only takes a split second for someone to take out their rage on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JScottTuck View Post
    Any of you guys have similar experience, or responses that you give when asked why you think you need to have that gun ...?
    Sure. It is very much like a seat belt, unnecessary until it's critically necessary, at which point there are precious few effective alternatives.

As for the few relatives and close friends who know I carry, I generally try to help them understand why criminals aren't deterred and continue to arm themselves despite pretty signs and laws, and why when a deadly situation arises one has to be able to survive sufficiently long for any call to the cavalry to matter a damn. None of them seem to have any arguments of any weight, so the discussion dries up fairly soon afterward, generally with them mulling it over in their heads. Over time, a few have seemed to get it, based on subsequent discussions. Many have not, nor do I imagine a few of these ever will.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As many already posted, I don't tell anyone I carry nor do I engage in discussions about why I choose to carry (except maybe on this forum). I don't need to convince them of anything. I carry to protect myself and my family. They choose not to carry. God bless the USA!

When I see a 'no guns' sign I interpret that as: I don't want your business/money.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

When asked, my answer is "What do you care?"

Signs are worthless here. If you get pegged, they can then tell you to leave and you must, or be guilty of trespassing. I ignore signs.

Kinda like I ignore folks who ask why I carry.

So they banned guns. Who cares? Their food sucks anyway. There have always been much better restaurants to patronize.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links