Why do we carry?

This is a discussion on Why do we carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother, who is a retired LEO, doesn't think I need, or should, carry. Of course he also of the opinion that no one except ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Why do we carry?

VIP Member
    My brother, who is a retired LEO, doesn't think I need, or should, carry. Of course he also of the opinion that no one except LE should carry guns. Needless to say he fit right in with the Illinois mindset, which is where he lives.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

My mother is a ainti I am taking my ccw class later this month and she will never know just start argument.

I am a Vietnam Vet, 82nd Airborne. I didn't touch a weapon until around 5 years ago. What made me carry is all of the gun related violence at places that my wife and I frequent. Places like the Mall, Movie Theater, Duncan Dough Nuts, Radio Shack, etc. I am not going to let my wife or myself become a victim. The world is a crazier place now.
    aus71383 likes this.

Why do we carry?

Because unlike myself and others, there are those who carry with illegal intent.

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock36carry View Post
    Why do we carry?

Because unlike myself and others, there are those who carry with illegal intent.
    Basically my answer. I carry legally because there are way too many that carry illegally.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

This is why I carry:

TKDFam.jpg

I have full responsibility for their safety and well being, no one else. I grew up in a rough part of Dallas and know first hand that things can go sideways fast, when you least expect it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

One thing I've learned over the years is: For those who understand no explanation is necessary; for those who don't understand no explanation will suffice. For that reason, I always carry and never tell. But just to tickle your fancy, here are just a few reasons I've gathered up over time:

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to Heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Here is my take on this .

@ 51 years old I have told bout all that needs to know that I carry (and thats a very few folks indeed ).

I have learned this the hard way.

For me its a dont ask dont tell

The only new person that would know would be a new SO that I was with and could trust

I carry because I'm responsible for Me and My Wife. No other person is going to protect me and wife like ME.. I can't depend on no other entity to do that for me. No I'm not talking about the military or a dislike for LEO's..but at that current moment if anything was to happen...you are in the fight for your life and I can't tell the BG to wait..let me call the police and lets start over..ready go". When seconds matter, law enforcement are always a few minutes away no matter how you cut it. People have to take full responsibility for themselves. I pray that I never have to use it..but That's Why I Carry...

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    For those who carry because of their personal safety and how others wont take care of them in the instance they need it, is it safe to assume that you are in excellent physical health? You exercise and eat a well balanced diet? Heart disease and cancer are more likely to kill you than a gun man. Obesity is a much bigger threat than mall shooting side the average US citizen, but I never hear people discussing on these forums how they are concerned with these issues and are more worried about the shady people at the mall.

Just some food for thought.

I carry for one simple reason. If I don't take responsibility for my safety and that of my family, why should anyone else?

We are all just 1mistake by a LEO or 1 unpopular verdict from having to fight our way into or out of our homes. Just ask a Londoner.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they canít get it wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    There are only a few people that know I carry and I like to keep it that way. My immediate family and a good friend of mine are the only people who know.
    +1 some of my family dosent know I carry. No need to start a debate on the subject. My gun is an insurance policy there if you need it but hope you never have to use it. Stay safe.

I carry because I'm better off with a gun than without one. I don't bring it up on Facebook....but then, I don't bring up politics or religion either.

Austin

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A fellow once threw the "cops are here to protect you" argument at me. I shoved my finger gun in his face and said, "Go ahead, call a cop and see how long it takes for him to get here and count how many times I can shoot you before he arrives." It left him speechless. Discussion over.
    pfries and JScottTuck like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links