Why do we carry?

This is a discussion on Why do we carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet A fellow once threw the "cops are here to protect you" argument at me. I shoved my finger gun in his ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Why do we carry?

  1. #46
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest Area to be Precise.
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A fellow once threw the "cops are here to protect you" argument at me. I shoved my finger gun in his face and said, "Go ahead, call a cop and see how long it takes for him to get here and count how many times I can shoot you before he arrives." It left him speechless. Discussion over.
    What a great way to represent gun owners as rational and reasonable people. Making what could be taken as threats to others for having a different opinion then you. I am sure he was convinced and is now preaching the rationality of gun ownership and gun owners.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    Member Array Steve S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    18
    This is what I was referring to about the way the world is today:
    1 shot, gunman dead at Conn. elementary school

  4. #48
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest Area to be Precise.
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    This is what I was referring to about the way the world is today:
    1 shot, gunman dead at Conn. elementary school
    ITs always been that way, just no media to discuss it.

  5. #49
    Member Array buckshotshorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    For those who carry because of their personal safety and how others wont take care of them in the instance they need it, is it safe to assume that you are in excellent physical health? You exercise and eat a well balanced diet? Heart disease and cancer are more likely to kill you than a gun man. Obesity is a much bigger threat than mall shooting side the average US citizen, but I never hear people discussing on these forums how they are concerned with these issues and are more worried about the shady people at the mall.

    Just some food for thought.
    Your point is well taken,but perhaps the reason you never hear these issues discussed here is because this is a gun forum not a health forum. As such, I would be considered a corn ball if I started a thread on the dangers of obesity.

  6. #50
    Member Array llmstratocaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I don't engage in these arguments with anyone. The solution is simple... no one needs to know about my guns or if I carry one or not. My business only. I don't bring it up nor do I try to convince people.
    This pretty much hits the nail on the head for me, too. Religion, politics, and firearms. Nobody's changing my mind. I'm not changing theirs. Just a waste of oxygen.

  7. #51
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest Area to be Precise.
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    Your point is well taken,but perhaps the reason you never hear these issues discussed here is because this is a gun forum not a health forum. As such, I would be considered a corn ball if I started a thread on the dangers of obesity.
    I see this as a self defense forum. And I have seen many people who I fear would have heart attacks in a real situation discuss tactics at my local gun range and at various training courses. Not to mention it is important for weapon retention. As well as the ability to fight off an attacker or take positions which are not very comfortable to shoot from. It is a whole package, the mind, the body, and the will to do it.

  8. #52
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,564
    Quote Originally Posted by JScottTuck View Post
    With the recent announcement of Buffalo Wild Wings banning guns, I posted a rant on Facebook about how I'll never go there again. A previous co-worker, who is very anti-gun started asking me why I needed a gun. After the usual, "BWW isn't going to keep me safe, etc, etc, etc." piece didn't get through to him, I found myself coining a very nice analogy as to why I carry a gun, and I'm sure I'll start using this on anyone who asks why. "It's kind of like a seat belt. You never know if you really are going to need it, but you strap it on just in case to help keep you safe."

    To add to this, do any of you have friends/family who make jokes about you carrying, or think it's stupid that you carry? I've only had my permit for about a month, but I've been around guns since I was old enough to talk. My dad holds a CCW permit, even my grandmother doesn't have an issue with it, but various aunts, cousins, etc. seem to hassle me about it. Any of you guys have similar experience, or responses that you give when asked why you think you need to have that gun on your hip or in your waste band?

    I refuse to accept the premise that I need a reason to carry. I have my reasons, they are personal to me, and they are not to justify my acts.

    I carry because it is my choice to do so.

    I noted this in a related thread - if you engage in such arguments, you accept the premise that you need a reason to justify your acts.

    This is akin to an argument along the following lines:

    "Give me one good reason you should be able to criticize the government."
    "Give me one good reason you should be allowed to keep your children."
    "Give me one good reason you should be have the right to defend yourself."
    "Give me one good reason you should be allowed to live another day."

    Each of those questions is not deserving of an answer.

  9. #53
    Member Array buckshotshorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I see this as a self defense forum. And I have seen many people who I fear would have heart attacks in a real situation discuss tactics at my local gun range and at various training courses. Not to mention it is important for weapon retention. As well as the ability to fight off an attacker or take positions which are not very comfortable to shoot from. It is a whole package, the mind, the body, and the will to do it.
    When you say it is the whole package you make a very good point, however, there are of us who are no longer 20 or 40 and carry a fire arm for self protection. In fact, we are the ones who need it most.
    I am a senior citizen, and I certainly can't outrun or out fight a 20 year old, but I refuse to become a victim, and for me and others like me the carry gun is the equalizer. As the president likes to say "it levels the playing field". I would rather have a heart attack defending myself than to cower before a felon trying get his way with me or my loved ones.
    CharlesMorri likes this.

  10. #54
    Member Array NiceAsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    74
    I just started carrying a few weeks ago. I was worried about people noticing, or being uncomfortable with a gun riding against my back, but neither has happened. I now like the comfort, and security of having the gun with me. My wife knows, and my step-son, other than that I do not talk about it. I agree with the seat belt analogy, for the most part you will never need it, and sometimes it is uncomfortable to wear, but if you are ever in a situation where you do need it, you will be glad its there.

    I also continually train with my gun, and have read Massad Ayoob books, and taken classes on practical handgun use. I think that is one of the keys to being a responsible gun owner, is to know how to use your gun, and when to use your gun.

    I hope to never have to use it in self-defense, but I like knowing that I could if needed to.

    Except for Federal Buildings and Courts, I carry wherever I go, I know those Restaurant signs are not going to stop the bad guys.

  11. #55
    Member Array DickO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    27
    Odd thing... didn't that shooter in Connecticut know that firearms were not allowed in schools??? Probably the the "Oregon" mall shooter went into an area marked as 'no guns'. Oh yes, and then the Denver movie theater thing... More reasons why I carry. Seems as though the only persons who cause problems in these "posted" areas are the ones doing harm (as opposed to those legally carrying and doing no harm). Now we'll be looking at another round of "gun control" (instead of stricter control of the mentally ill).

    And at 67 years old I'm reasonably fit and able to fire a weapon in my own defense. I don't have all the "tactical" training that all the experts do, but just having a weapon in my possession (that I do know how to operate) gives me an advantage and at least a modicum of self assurance that I never had before. Okay... enough rambling... I just get a little upset when my right to carry comes into question.

  12. #56
    Member Array Denverjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Aurora,CO
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by DickO View Post
    Odd thing... didn't that shooter in Connecticut know that firearms were not allowed in schools??? Probably the the "Oregon" mall shooter went into an area marked as 'no guns'. Oh yes, and then the Denver movie theater thing... More reasons why I carry. Seems as though the only persons who cause problems in these "posted" areas are the ones doing harm (as opposed to those legally carrying and doing no harm). Now we'll be looking at another round of "gun control" (instead of stricter control of the mentally ill).

    And at 67 years old I'm reasonably fit and able to fire a weapon in my own defense. I don't have all the "tactical" training that all the experts do, but just having a weapon in my possession (that I do know how to operate) gives me an advantage and at least a modicum of self assurance that I never had before. Okay... enough rambling... I just get a little upset when my right to carry comes into question.
    Dr. Lott was interviewed earlier today:

    Gun Expert Lott: Let Teachers Carry Arms, Ban Gun-Free Zones to Halt Mass Shootings

    He basically said what you said DickO, among other things. But one of his points was that mass shooting perps, have absolutely and specifically chosen their targets based on prior knowledge that the location would most likely be "gun-free zones". The shooter in the theater in Aurora, passed up seven other theaters around the area, some closer to where he lived, others were larger and would have more potential victims. He passed up all of these in favor of the one theater that had signage banning lawful concealed carry weapons.

    I refuse to put myself in a situation where I am at the mercy of a mass murderer, or any shooter for that matter, without any means of protecting myself or my loved ones.

    I'm going to go out on somewhat of a limb here, but I think I'm on to something and would like to share. I saw someone post on another thread about the massacre yesterday and say in response to someone that posted about the need for teachers to be trained and allowed to carry concealed weapons if they want. This person said something to the effect of, oh sure, that's all we need, more bullets flying around an elementary school. This person didn't give a rip and completely dismissed any possibility that a teacher or some other staff member at the school COULD have stopped this before so much loss of life occurred. If they had been trained, armed and prepared.

    Some of you may not like this next part. Here's your warning. I contend that the vast majority of the anti-gun, anti-2nd Amendment wackos out there, HATE IT, and are actually DISAPPOINTED when they read a news story about a thwarted mass murder incident taking place where a potential victim or law abiding bystander, had the training, concealed carry weapon and opportunity to end it sooner or prevent it all together. They're disappointed because it no longer fits their narrative, no longer serves their crusade against guns and gun rights. For example, when the incident at New Life church in Colorado Springs took place, I think the anti-gun zealots in this country, secretly in most cases, some maybe overtly, were disappointed there wasn't a huge loss of innocent life. I'm not intending to offend anyone here and I'm not referencing anyone specifically, this is just my gut feeling. And I've learned to trust my gut feelings.

  13. #57
    Member Array BamaAlum97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    48

    Why do we carry?

    I don't typically advertise that I carry. If I am with an anti and they question it, I just tell them that if we get into trouble, I will protect myself and they should worry about themselves. I then usually point out some rocks they may consider throwing...
    Denverjay and AngryBadger417 like this.

  14. #58
    Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,627
    Man am I lucky, my wife and four adult kids all have a CWFL, the rest of my family is pro gun and the majority of my friends are pro gun. I am also a member of a 650 member club that is about 99.9% pro gun, the VFW.
    US Army 1953-1977

    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

  15. #59
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest Area to be Precise.
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    When you say it is the whole package you make a very good point, however, there are of us who are no longer 20 or 40 and carry a fire arm for self protection. In fact, we are the ones who need it most.
    I am a senior citizen, and I certainly can't outrun or out fight a 20 year old, but I refuse to become a victim, and for me and others like me the carry gun is the equalizer. As the president likes to say "it levels the playing field". I would rather have a heart attack defending myself than to cower before a felon trying get his way with me or my loved ones.
    But do you exercise and take care of yourself? Look at Sylvester Stallone in his last film. He is a senior citizen. I assume you work out and eat right and try not to be a fat slob.

    Many on this forum say they would not leave their gun in their vehicles because if it gets stolen, they would feel guilty if it is used in a crime. Is the same not true if they were not able to put up an adequate defense in case of a disarm attempt?

  16. #60
    Member Array buckshotshorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    But do you exercise and take care of yourself? Look at Sylvester Stallone in his last film. He is a senior citizen. I assume you work out and eat right and try not to be a fat slob.

    Many on this forum say they would not leave their gun in their vehicles because if it gets stolen, they would feel guilty if it is used in a crime. Is the same not true if they were not able to put up an adequate defense in case of a disarm attempt?
    I hear you Toorop. It happens that I do hit the gym at least 3 days a week, and watch what I eat, but the fact remains that I'm 68 years old and I'm not going to kid myself in to thinking I'm Sylvester Stallone. I know my limitations, but I'm not about to move over and let the stronger push me around. I do have a heart condition, and bad arthritis in my knees, but I do what I can, and I take my responsibility of carrying a gun very seriously. I go to the range just about every week and can shoot the eyes out of a rat @ 30 paces; so, until I go blind, crippled or crazy I will continue to carry my gun.
    BTW The motorcycle in the avatar is mine...it weighs about 800 lbs. and I still ride. If I weren't in condition enough to handle that bike, I would give it up.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

buffalo wild wings bans guns

,

did buffalo wild wings announce the gun ban?

,

how many new likes has buffalo wild wings got facebook since banning guns?

,

why do we eat carry

,

why do we need concealed carry

Click on a term to search for related topics.