Why do we carry? - Page 5

Why do we carry?

This is a discussion on Why do we carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like so many things today rights are taken to extreme. Theres an arguement around every corner. Theres no wrong in America unles you don't agree ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Why do we carry?

Like so many things today rights are taken to extreme. Theres an arguement around every corner. Theres no wrong in America unles you don't agree with me. Smoking, if you dont smoke then most don't want anyone smoking around them. What kills more poeple, Cancer or guns? alcohol or guns? Why are these still legal. I have yet to figure this out. I know that all cancer is from cigarettes and all drunks have not killed someone. How many people carry a gun and have not killed anyone. Are we responsible enough to smoke, drink or carry a gun? Havent seen any qualifications to drink yet.(except age).
    As for family or friends, only a select few know I carry. C.A.N.T. Is the best policy. If you are with them and "need" to defend yourself (or them) kind of explains itself. Always remember what has been said over and over on this link. This is not an arguement you will win.
    Pick your battles you CAN win with the people that make the difference (politicians) for you to carry, drink, smoke ect.....
    Just how I feel.

Why do I carry? For all lawful purposes. Because I hold primary responsibility for my own safety and security. Because I refuse to be victimized. And because I have sworn to protect my loved ones 'til my dying breath, in the face of violence, no matter the cost to the assailant, even if it kills him.
    nortelrye and sigmanluke like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't what to die the way people I knew did when they faced a man witja gun and they had no gun.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by JScottTuck View Post
    With the recent announcement of Buffalo Wild Wings banning guns, I posted a rant on Facebook about how I'll never go there again. A previous co-worker, who is very anti-gun started asking me why I needed a gun. After the usual, "BWW isn't going to keep me safe, etc, etc, etc." piece didn't get through to him, I found myself coining a very nice analogy as to why I carry a gun, and I'm sure I'll start using this on anyone who asks why. "It's kind of like a seat belt. You never know if you really are going to need it, but you strap it on just in case to help keep you safe."

To add to this, do any of you have friends/family who make jokes about you carrying, or think it's stupid that you carry? I've only had my permit for about a month, but I've been around guns since I was old enough to talk. My dad holds a CCW permit, even my grandmother doesn't have an issue with it, but various aunts, cousins, etc. seem to hassle me about it. Any of you guys have similar experience, or responses that you give when asked why you think you need to have that gun on your hip or in your waste band?
    That's pretty good.
    I use this once in a while.
    "You can call the fire department if you have a fire why do you need a fire extinguisher?"

Very few know I carry as I C A N T, understand?
    hick63 likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    That's pretty good.
    I use this once in a while.
    "You can call the fire department if you have a fire why do you need a fire extinguisher?"

Very few know I carry as I C A N T, understand?
    That's good. I see a theme developing.

Why do you have a fire extinguisher if when the FD is minutes away?

Why wear a seat belt when the ambulance is minutes away?

Why have a gun when the police are minutes away?
    jwilson904 and Katana1 like this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

I flatly refuse to justify the exercise of my natural rights to people like those mentioned in this thread - they are not entitled to demand an explanation, and I'm comfortable telling them so. If somebody genuinely wants to know - as in isn't making a demand for an opportunity to make sure I'm aware of just how much they know better than I do what's best for me and mine - I typically explain it thus:

I'm the kind of person who deals with stuff. When a dangerous, ugly, inconvenient, or just plain weird situation comes up and other people step back, I step forward. I'm a problem solver. Most of the people who know me well look to me when stuff happens because I'm usually the first to do something other than stand around and wonder when somebody else is going to do something about it. I tend to pride myself on being willing and able to deal with situations most people want nothing to do with and would rather let get worse than have to figure out how to make things happen. I'm not afraid to act quickly and decisively - and to accept responsibility for the consequences of my actions and decisions. I carry the means to deal with many everyday problems - flashlight, pocketknife, multi-tool, some tape, a lighter, etc.

When it comes to things that threaten the lives and safety of myself and people I care about, I'm gonna deal with the situation until relief arrives or until I go down trying my best. I already know from experience that most people refuse to step up and deal with even minor problems, much preferring to have someone else do it - there's no way on God's earth I would expect anybody else to risk their own safety stepping up to help protect me or mine, nor would I ever feel entitled to demand anybody do so. I've got a defense attorney, cop, and a couple of Marines in my extended family and I know full well what kind of evil some people are capable of doing if not stopped, and I will be damned if I don't step up and deal with those situations on the rare occasions they arise. If somebody is going to hurt the people I love while I'm there to resist it's because they've already incapacitated or killed me. If other people want to wait around for somebody else to do something, that's their own choice and I pity the people who look to them for protection.

Part of resisting violence against myself and those I'm responsible for caring for is having the means to effectively do so. Until a better option arises the best means I possess and can easily carry nearly everywhere is a handgun, preferably with a larger capacity magazine. Being able to throw 230 grains of "NO!" at a threat 14 times before reloading has not yet been required of me and I pray it never will be - but should the situation arise I'll be stepping up to that one too. I've done my best to be prepared and hope it's enough.

It's my right....

Distinguished Member Array vice87's Avatar
    'cause...
    I carry because zombies.

I just thought of this today, don't ask me why it popped into my little brain.

Why do I carry? Because I'm a LOVER, not a FIGHTER.

Might make some points with the opposite sex (or the same, I didn't mean to be biased)

My ex use to give me a hard time if she saw me carrying. She would "Why do you need that thing?"

One day we were on vacation and were sitting in a restaurant. Two guys walked in and were acting very suspicious. They split up and started walking around the dining room in opposite directions. My ex asked, "You've got your gun don't you?" She never questioned it again. I'm guessing the two guys were looking for someone in the restaurant because they got back to the door and left. It just looked weird.

Quote Originally Posted by xdhusker View Post
    I've got some friends who commonly say "why are you so afraid that you feel you need to have a gun with you at all times". My response is that I'm not afraid at all. With my car, I'm not afraid that I'll get a flat tire, but I carry a spare tire in case I get a flat.
    With my gun I'm not afraid of somebody attacking me, I just have it in case it happens.
    I find it very odd that sheep want us to be more sheepish like they are, and some of them are quite outspoken about it. When they ask me these sort of questions, I think it is fair to ask them one in return. "If we go to lunch, and either a robber or an x-employee comes in and starts shooting people, would you want me to use my gun to defend your life or just get mad about it when you get shot? I have never received an answer to that question.

I did have a neighbor who "hates" guns ask me when nobody else was around; "If anything ever happened and I needed your help, would you help me?" I told her, "only if I can bring my gun. If I can't do that, then do not ask me for help. Not bringing a gun means that now both of us our in trouble." This puts the responsibility back squarely where it has always been, people are responsible for their own safety first.

I did not tell her not to call, only my conditions of responding. The choice of calling is hers.

Sheep can't help being sheep, and sheepdogs can't change either. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away... and they know it. It's not a slam against police officers, they just can't be everywhere all the time.
    Last edited by Katana1; March 23rd, 2015 at 10:24 PM.
    hick63 and Rhinoman like this.

I carry because I can. I say just in case because you never know when you may need that tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    But do you exercise and take care of yourself? Look at Sylvester Stallone in his last film. He is a senior citizen. I assume you work out and eat right and try not to be a fat slob.

Many on this forum say they would not leave their gun in their vehicles because if it gets stolen, they would feel guilty if it is used in a crime. Is the same not true if they were not able to put up an adequate defense in case of a disarm attempt?
    It almost seems as if you're saying that unless we are gym rats and in good shape, we are hypocrites foe carrying a gun.

You should understand that some people are unable to "work out". Some have a disability. Some are just plain lazy. But regardless of their reason, if they choose to carry, they have the right. If they carry for self defense, they are allowed no matter what their condition. They are just as deserving as everyone else.
    Katana1 likes this.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland_Man View Post
    It almost seems as if you're saying that unless we are gym rats and in good shape, we are hypocrites foe carrying a gun.

You should understand that some people are unable to "work out". Some have a disability. Some are just plain lazy. But regardless of their reason, if they choose to carry, they have the right. If they carry for self defense, they are allowed no matter what their condition. They are just as deserving as everyone else.
    And of course some of us are just getting old. I mean rusty.
    Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

If everything else fails, than .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is silly.

What a man decides to allow or disallow in his own private business is not a trespass on my rights.. I dont have to to go there but when I do, I will abide by his rules because it is more his place than mine. All that being said, I lawfully carry simply because I choose to have the option to deal that level of ranged force.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links