Why do we carry?

This is a discussion on Why do we carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the recent announcement of Buffalo Wild Wings banning guns, I posted a rant on Facebook about how I'll never go there again. A previous ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Why do we carry?

Why do we carry?

With the recent announcement of Buffalo Wild Wings banning guns, I posted a rant on Facebook about how I'll never go there again. A previous co-worker, who is very anti-gun started asking me why I needed a gun. After the usual, "BWW isn't going to keep me safe, etc, etc, etc." piece didn't get through to him, I found myself coining a very nice analogy as to why I carry a gun, and I'm sure I'll start using this on anyone who asks why. "It's kind of like a seat belt. You never know if you really are going to need it, but you strap it on just in case to help keep you safe."

To add to this, do any of you have friends/family who make jokes about you carrying, or think it's stupid that you carry? I've only had my permit for about a month, but I've been around guns since I was old enough to talk. My dad holds a CCW permit, even my grandmother doesn't have an issue with it, but various aunts, cousins, etc. seem to hassle me about it. Any of you guys have similar experience, or responses that you give when asked why you think you need to have that gun on your hip or in your waste band?

2. Remove Ads

Had a recent "discussion" with my hippie brother who stated "there is no right end of a gun" and "anyone who thinks a gun makes them safer is stupid". They are entitled to their opinions and as infuriating as it is, we should let them have em. The problem seems to be that they do not have the same respect for ours. Did you jump all over your aunts for not carrying? Doesn't sound like it, yet they do the exact opposite.

Carrying is a right and if one chooses to excercise it, or not, that should be acceptable. I always ask "how would you feel if you could have done something to change the outcome?". Most minds won't be changed, and I find it best to embrace those who think alike and disregaurd discussing it with those who don't. I'm sure we all have people in our life we would like to slap some sense into, but existing with them peaceably takes precident.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I've got some friends who commonly say "why are you so afraid that you feel you need to have a gun with you at all times". My response is that I'm not afraid at all. With my car, I'm not afraid that I'll get a flat tire, but I carry a spare tire in case I get a flat.
    With my gun I'm not afraid of somebody attacking me, I just have it in case it happens.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have a sister in law who is on the anti side and she ask my why I wanted to carry a gun and I ask her why she need one under her pillow she said I live alone I said sometimes I walk, shop, drive alone so there is nothing more to talk about.
    DubH00, pir8fan and Grinder like this.

There are only a few people that know I carry and I like to keep it that way. My immediate family and a good friend of mine are the only people who know.

I carry because I see absolutely no indication that the world we live in is getting any safer.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Re: Why do we carry?

I don't make it a habit to discuss what's in my pants with the general public. My wife is the exception. As far as everyone else is concerned, it's none of their business. Concealed means concealed. Should there ever be a need for me to unconceal around anyone, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

However I am very public about my support of 2nd Amendment rights. And many times I have to agree to disagree with folks.

Sent from my GS 3 using Tapatalk 2
    Glhadiator, Yetiman and Timkid like this.

I don't engage in these arguments with anyone. The solution is simple... no one needs to know about my guns or if I carry one or not. My business only. I don't bring it up nor do I try to convince people.
    bunker, ccwguy and Caertaker like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

"I don't engage in these arguments with anyone. The solution is simple... no one needs to know about my guns or if I carry one or not. My business only. I don't bring it up nor do I try to convince people."

This will be the best answer in this thread.....The fewer people that know you carry, the better. Let them come to grips with their own sense of need. If they don't have one, it's on them.

Valid point. Maybe I just need to keep it a bit more quiet going forward.
    multistage likes this.

Because given I have guns and have been shooting them my whole life and our country has given me the right and means to legally carry one, I feel compelled to do so for the sake of my family. If I chose not to and something happened to them as a result, I could not live with myself.

Now, if in a conversation with an anti, I'd just simply say, "We each have the right and opportunity to decide what is right for us. We have the freedom to make our own choice independent of anyone else. Choose wisely, and go on about your life not worrying about what anyone else chose."
    bunker likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I save myself the hassle by telling only a very few people - actually just two (who also carry) aside from my wife. Not my friends, neighbors, kids, etc. Its so much easier that way. If I ever get directly asked I will be truthful. And I don't take my weapon into the home of someone I would reasonably expect to be anti.

Pls excuse my tone but if you want to tell the world on FB that you carry, have at it. Is it your right to carry and talk about it? Absolutely. But at least acknowledge an anti's right to feel differently. They probably won't change their view any quicker than you would change yours. IMHO publicizing your position on the 2A will turn off people you don't even know. And there are all sorts of downsides to that. I personally see no benefits from telling anyone I carry.

If there comes a time where we need to loudly stand up and be counted on 2A, I'll be there with the rest of the folks here.

BTW, bummer on Buffalo Wild Wings. I like that place. Do you know what prompted the new policy?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JScottTuck View Post
    With the recent announcement of Buffalo Wild Wings banning guns, I posted a rant on Facebook about how I'll never go there again. A previous co-worker, who is very anti-gun started asking me why I needed a gun. After the usual, "BWW isn't going to keep me safe, etc, etc, etc." piece didn't get through to him, I found myself coining a very nice analogy as to why I carry a gun, and I'm sure I'll start using this on anyone who asks why. "It's kind of like a seat belt. You never know if you really are going to need it, but you strap it on just in case to help keep you safe."

To add to this, do any of you have friends/family who make jokes about you carrying, or think it's stupid that you carry? I've only had my permit for about a month, but I've been around guns since I was old enough to talk. My dad holds a CCW permit, even my grandmother doesn't have an issue with it, but various aunts, cousins, etc. seem to hassle me about it. Any of you guys have similar experience, or responses that you give when asked why you think you need to have that gun on your hip or in your waste band?
    None of my aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, or sisters know I carry.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Yeah. I'm definitely going to start being more quiet about it. I guess that is a "rookie" mistake on my part. At my place of employment, we provide IT support for the military, as a result, we attract lots of veterans, as well as individuals who are currently serving, so I tended to get caught up in discussions early on, and I guess I really haven't been as secretive about it as I should have been. That's definitely a mistake on my part.

As for BWW, I am not sure what prompted the change.

Quote Originally Posted by contented View Post
    I save myself the hassle by telling only a very few people - actually just two (who also carry) aside from my wife. Not my friends, neighbors, kids, etc. Its so much easier that way. If I ever get directly asked I will be truthful. And I don't take my weapon into the home of someone I would reasonably expect to be anti.

Pls excuse my tone but if you want to tell the world on FB that you carry, have at it. Is it your right to carry and talk about it? Absolutely. But at least acknowledge an anti's right to feel differently. They probably won't change their view any quicker than you would change yours. IMHO publicizing your position on the 2A will turn off people you don't even know. And there are all sorts of downsides to that. I personally see no benefits from telling anyone I carry.

If there comes a time where we need to loudly stand up and be counted on 2A, I'll be there with the rest of the folks here.

BTW, bummer on Buffalo Wild Wings. I like that place. Do you know what prompted the new policy?

JScott.....a word of encouragement. My response was one that came after 25 years of being an evangelist for all things gun related, and I live in a State that was without a Concealed Carry provision until last year. My hope is that you took direct comments like mine,and others, not as a rebuke, but as a seasoned position. Naturally, you wouldn't know that based on the words alone. For a very long time I was the "gun guy"....I wish I had known better than to run my mouth early on. I think you already see the wisdom in a subdued approach. You'll do well.....Sandpiper
    KBSR likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links