Tampa morning radio show

This is a discussion on Tampa morning radio show within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On my way to work this morning, I was listening to a local Tampa radio morning talk show and they were discussing the recent shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Tampa morning radio show

Tampa morning radio show

On my way to work this morning, I was listening to a local Tampa radio morning talk show and they were discussing the recent shooting at a mall. After a long conversation, the host then said,

"You know, if you have your concealed weapons license like I do, you almost need to carry a weapon with you all of the time because you just never know when or where some lunatic is going to do something like this..."

I said outloud to myself as I was driving my truck, "Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!!"

Now I don't know if he was using this as an opportunity to make a point in a half-hearted dimwitted manner or if he was being straight up. Either way, it's amazing to me how this point doesn't seem to naturally occur to people. You don't wait to put your seatbelt on right before you crash, because you don't know when or where that may be, and once you do its too late. Same with carrying.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    ... it's amazing to me how this point doesn't seem to naturally occur to people. You don't wait to put your seatbelt on right before you crash, because you don't know when or where that may be, and once you do its too late. Same with carrying.
    It is fairly astounding. Though, it's both the carrying crowd as well as the non-carriers he's appealing to (if by the time he made the statement any of the non-carriers were still listening). Hopefully, the more frequently folks hear the stark reality in simple terms, the more likely they'll be to understand that the world we're living in has changed. Same ol', Same ol' just won't cut it anymore, if folks want to stay safe from all the predators and wackos out there.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 13th, 2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: grammar
    Yetiman likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good for him. I hope he doesn't catch too much flak for his comment.
    ep1953 likes this.

VIP Member
    Too many people out there with their head in the sand and a "it won't happen to me" attitude. Maybe the DJ woke one of them up?
    ep1953 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Obviously someone who sees the reality of how people will do whatever they want, law or no law, and the folly of trying to eliminate the inanimate object they so detest.

The mentality of "it won't ever happen if there are no guns" is about as useful as me thinking that since I have not been the victim of a breaking & entering, the likelyhood of that happening was small. Well, think again. It happens, and things like this shooting can and do happen. Keeping people who abide by laws from having the tools to defend themselves and others out of their hands is tantamount to insanity.

Of all the "gun laws" in place, which one will be most effective in stopping the shooting rampage? That's the burning question on my mind, what law stops people from shooting rampages?

The answer is, they don't. We could have a billion or more laws and restrictions and we would see no decline in terror like this whatsoever. Yet, a licensed, law abiding concealed carry person and carrying could make the difference if it happens.

It is good that this possibility has been voiced with reason.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    "You know, if you have your concealed weapons license like I do, you almost need to carry a weapon with you all of the time because you just never know when or where some lunatic is going to do something like this..."
    There is no almost to it, you do need to carry all the time.
    steffen, ep1953, mg27 and 2 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'll bet a dollar to a hole in a donut the Mall was posted....
    bombthrower77 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't listen to too many talk shows (most are too far left- or right-winged for me) but a little more common sense like this may reach a broader audience.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    I'll bet a dollar to a hole in a donut the Mall was posted....
    My local mall has a "no firearms" policy posted, but on a tiny sign in the airlock wall on each main entrance along with a bunch of other mall rules (shirt and shoes, no yelling or running, etc). In speaking with someone in a position to know, the policy is posted there and in that way so they can say they have a policy against it in case they are pulled into a lawsuit or if they are faced with a specific complaint. The implied message was that if you carry discretely concealed, they have no issue with it.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

I guess he fails to subscribe to the "never tell" part of the adage. I appreciate his sacrifice.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

The mall was indeed posted.

I think you are talking about Todd Schnitt. He is in fact a 2a supporter. Talks about it often on his show. Was talking with callers the other day about their carry guns and his. Among his collection are Kimbers and AR's. I think he feels it's more important to encourage others to get training and carry using himself as an example than to "never tell".

Agreed that it's probably Todd Schnitt. I think he has a local morning show in Tampa using the handle "M.J." He has done well in the past few years since 9/11. Started as local in the Miami market under his own name and now he has quite a few stations in syndication. He's definitely pro 2-a!
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I guess he fails to subscribe to the "never tell" part of the adage. I appreciate his sacrifice.
    Well said and I do agree .

Back to mall part , that whole story we have got so far is very fishy
    mg27 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    The mall was indeed posted.
    Funny thing. I've been there but haven't seen the gunbuster signs except at the theatre. I don't go there often though so that might have happened after that theatre shooting in Colorado. Since it apparently is, I won't be visiting it anymore.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Well said and I do agree .

Back to mall part , that whole story we have got so far is very fishy
    What do you refer to? It happened about a mile and a half from where I live so I've been immersed in all of the "news" reports and the idiots posting to the local news outlets' stories claiming that it wouldn't have happened if there were a ban on "assault" weapons.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links