USCCA I Don't Know

This is a discussion on USCCA I Don't Know within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, Being new to the concealed carry world, I have signed on to several CC and 'gun' forums in order to gain added information. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: USCCA I Don't Know

USCCA I Don't Know

Hi All,
    Being new to the concealed carry world, I have signed on to several CC and 'gun' forums in order to gain added information. I went to the United States Concealed Carry Association forum(?) site and have now been barraged with many emails wanting me to join their association to take advantage of a 'host' of meaning books, forums, magazine, and even have access to a Self-Defense Shield program that would provide legal counsel if I were to ever have to draw my weapon for defense.

Are you folks familiar with this outfit and what is/are your opinions?? I 'did' see a short review on this site from a "Christians with guns" site and they said it pretty much worked as advertised except for the excessive emails. Still unconvinced, I thought I would solicit your views. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

This is what I know..

This is by far the best site regarding firearms I've ever came across and upon finding it, I haven't logged into anywhere else since.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Type "USCCA" into the search option, and have a read. Here is a sample:
    USCCA Members?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I think you're on the right track. Trust your gut instinct. There are plenty of places like this where you can increase your knowledge and have discussions without someone trying to shove membership, dues, protection policies, etc. down your throat.

Ask a question here, get several opinions from which you can draw your own conclusions or at least engage in a conversation. Send off an email question there, get daily emails back trying to get you to spend your money with them.

i once gave them my email address, but no money, hoping for useful articles and information. instead i got one relatively useless tidbit of information for every 10-20 offers to join them or buy something.

after a few months of this with absolutely no response from me, they left me alone.

p.s.: i do like their monthly magazine, but i buy my copies second hand on ebay.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

I joined USCCA for a year. The magazine articles were pretty good; but I saw no benefit in renewing the subscription.

Regarding the email spam, when I must supply an email address, I use one of several I created for the purpose. If spam starts piling up, I just delete that address and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by DickO View Post
    I went to the United States Concealed Carry Association forum(?) site and have now been barraged with many emails wanting me to join their association to take advantage of ....
    If you can call them and actually speak with a human, I'm sure they'll be able to shut off the email barrage at your request. After all, it's not like ticking you off is in their best interest.

Ditto on going elsewhere. NOBODY gets my "normal" email address anymore, unless it's family or friends. I use a couple of "junk" email addresses for the spam stuff. Been doing this for years, and it works well for ratcheting down the "ridiculous" meter.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

OP-

1. Get some training with a local instructor

2. Spend some time at this site

3. If you are interested in legal protection, consider the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network (see my sig). They also offer some excellent training DVDs from some of the best experts in the field.

Welcome to the forum!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by DickO View Post
    ... books, forums, magazine, and even have access to a Self-Defense Shield program that would provide legal counsel if I were to ever have to draw my weapon for defense.
    There are a number of good threads in the Books/Videos forum. A few books I would recommend:

• In The Gravest Extreme, by Ayoob.
    • The Truth About Self Protection, by Ayoob.
    • Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, by Kleck
    • That Every Man Be Armed: The Evolution of a Constitutional Right, by Halbrook
    • The Second Amendment Primer, by Adams
    • The Origin of the Second Amendment: A Documentary History of the Bill of Rights in Commentaries on Liberty, Free Government and an Armed Populace, 1787-1792, by Young (ed.)
    • The Founders' View of the Right to Bear Arms: A Definitive History of the Second Amendment, by Young.

That'll get you started.

For legal counsel services, check out ACLDN, the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network.
    southernwi likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Re: USCCA I Don't Know

In a word, NO. For USCCA. Sorry, Tactical Tim, that's the way it has to be.

I used to be a member, but when he started hawking Defense Shield, I quit.

As mentioned above, ACLDN is as good a deal, without all the pressure...

That said, the best "insurance" is to KNOW your state laws re: self defense, and know them well.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    If you want to make Tim Schmidt rich, go ahead and join his merry little family. Myself, I'll use the money to buy more ammo.
    GH and Mjr_Fail like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I like others was a member for a year. And like you and others say, the daily emails were a bit annoying. I will admint I got some good information from the CD assortment that was sent and frankly the magazine was quiet good. However I think as we find other avenues of information USCCA becomes less of learning source. Honestly I am glad I joined for one year though. Being new to CC it helped answer some answers and provoked a personal desire to gain more education. I think it is a good value for new CC licensees.

Regards!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I was an original member until they started the Defense Shield garbage.
    For a while they were requiring people to take the DS stuff to continue the magazine. They soon changed their tune on that note when members started dropping off, but they've already lost me.
    There were some other shady dealings talked about, but I just decided to stay away.
    I don't miss the over-priced magazine.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Rumor alert! I read somewhere that their "insurance" only pays off after you have won a case at your expense. I cannot verify that, but choose to not play.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Thanks for all the input... think I'll stay put.
    southernwi likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links