Experience is valuable..so help me with yours....

This is a discussion on Experience is valuable..so help me with yours.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can only purchase one... Have 9mm (ruger) and 380 (ruger) now.... Looking at Glock 27 or Glock 29..... Problem is I don't know much ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Experience is valuable..so help me with yours....

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Experience is valuable..so help me with yours....

I can only purchase one...

Have 9mm (ruger) and 380 (ruger) now....

Looking at Glock 27 or Glock 29.....

Problem is I don't know much about 40mm or 10mm ammo...availability price effective stopping power....

need some advice from those who know....

thanks
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well 40mm ammo is not something you'll find in most gun stores. .40 cal is available everyplace though.

Availability of .40 is going to be much better than for 10mm. You can find the .40 at Walmart, I can't remember seeing 10 mm in Walmart.
    joker1 and mano3 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Well 40mm ammo is not something you'll find in most gun stores. .40 cal is available everyplace though.

Availability of .40 is going to be much better than for 10mm. You can find the .40 at Walmart, I can't remember seeing 10 mm in Walmart.
    LOL (40mm)

.40 S&W is an acceptable compromise between 9mm and .45ACP IMHO. Readily available everywhere, allows for higher capacity magazines, effective self-defense round. Would recommend the GLOCK 22/27 combo. It's the largest and smallest of the family, and the 27 uses the 22's mags when need be. Carried both, at the same time, when working along the Southwest border as a Special Agent with the U.S. Customs Service. The GLOCKS will eat anything you feed it, but figure out which your's likes best, and buy it by the case lot when you find it. Thousand rounds in the gun safe is a good feeling. Be safe.

VIP Member
    Go with the 40S&W, 10MM ammo generally runs $32-$35 a box.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My first question is why choose another caliber to keep supplied? I finally stopped after too many calibers. I prefer having lots of the same caliber to use on several guns.

I currently maintain .22, .223, 12ga, .38, .357mag, .380, and 9mm. Not enough shelves or ammo boxes to keep them separated...and way too expensive.

VIP Member
    Yep simply get a Glock compact 9mm and carry on.
    Mike1956 and joker1 like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you want a .40 or 10mm, then get one. I've shot the G22 in .40 and didn't find the "snap" or recoil sufficiently worse than anything else. But that was in a full-size gun, not a compact/sub-compact. Try before buy.

Ammo will be more expensive compared to 9mm, full-power 10mms even more so. Recoil may not be what you'd want in a SD situation. Your 9mm should be more than enough, but if you want an excuse to go up in caliber, anything is good enough for an excuse. Most decent LGSs will carry both ammos, and it's always available online. It's your gun; get what you want.
    ep1953, aus71383 and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I wanted a 9MM and a 40 to let my students see the difference between them so I got a G23 and G27 in 40 and then purchased a Lone Wolf conversion barrel. Now I have both from the same frame.

I would not get a 10MM since many agencies that used them are now changing. I don't have stats, so take that for what it's worth.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

10mm is more expensive, less available, and used more often as a hunting round than self defense.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Based upon what you're saying, I'd go with the Glock-26 (9mm)...no need to stock up on another caliber.
    joker1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Based upon what you're saying, I'd go with the Glock-26 (9mm)...no need to stock up on another caliber.
    That is what I would do. Have you fired the Glocks? You will meet people that love them and people that hate them. I'm neutral, because I've never fired one. I fired about everything except the Glock at my range before I bought my last few pistols. I fired those guns that "felt right" in my hand. I am more accurate with some guns than I am with others. It is not a reflection on the gun...it is all on ME! I still haven't figured out why I am more accurate with one gun and not so accurate with another which uses the same ammo and similar action.

GH
    Think of 10MM as .40 cal magnum. It kicks like a mule, especially in a small handgun. As already mentioned it's more expensive & not as available. I think it's designed for hunting with a pistol among other reasons.

Do I want one? Sure, as well as 9MM & .45 ACP. I already have a .40 cal & with the wallet & bank account as empty as it usually is I'll probably stick with .40 S&W. I'd practically have to be given a gun with a different caliber in order to afford it.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Ditto! G26. Then you won't be in a boat like I am... OR, get the G27 and you can have three types of ammo if you feel the difference between 9mm and .40 is worth the extra ammo burden.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Stick with 9x19 and get a GLOCK 19 or 26. While you are wheeling and dealing trade in that .380 acp and invest in more 9x19 ammo or whichever of the 2 GLOCKS I mentioned you didn't buy (because you'll be wanting it soon). 9x19 is a respectable self defense caliber, is fun to shoot, is widely available, and less expensive than .40 S&W and .45 acp not to mention .32 acp and .380 acp.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    OK...you all make a lot of good points...I think I agree with the "no need for multiple ammo choices"...so as I just got back from the LGS and looking at the Glock 40mm and the Glock 9mm the 26 is just my size...the 40mm just to large...so I think I see a new Glock 26 in my stocking in a few days........OH CRAP.......more holsters.......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links