Untucked shirt snagging/catching on grip when concealing IWB

This is a discussion on Untucked shirt snagging/catching on grip when concealing IWB within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I came across this site searching for advice on this issue I'm having. It's a little hard to search and describe this issue ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Untucked shirt snagging/catching on grip when concealing IWB

Untucked shirt snagging/catching on grip when concealing IWB

Hey guys, I came across this site searching for advice on this issue I'm having. It's a little hard to search and describe this issue so I apologize if it's been covered.

Carrying a S&W M&P 9c flush mag in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I'm on the skinnier side build wise. I'm currently adjusting cant and carry position to find the best all around method of concealment. I wear anything from untucked t-shirts and jeans to tucked in Polo and dress shirts with slacks. The biggest issue I am coming across is with the untucked shirts. They tend to snag between the grip and my body when reaching up for something, or slightly bending over (i.e. picking up my son, or taking him in/out of the carseat. I'm experimenting with cant and ride height right now to try and alleviate the problem.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thank you!

2. Remove Ads

I usually carry at a 15 to 20 degree forward cant with the bottom of my trigger guard about belt high,The lower your holster sits in the pants the tighter it should ride against your side,also a good gun belt will help hold the holster in tighter against your side
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What location are you carrying your gun? 4:30?

If your untucked "cover" shirt is short enough to get between the grip of your gun and your back - it's not long enough. If I'm reading it wrong, and you're meaning that some fabric get pinched - that's easy, just fix your shirt when you stand up...

Austin

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Are you carring at 3 oclock? May have to go to a little bigger/longer shirt. I'm 6'4 170 lbs and wear a Lg shirt size and don't have many problems. I think I have more problems than I think I do...

Welcome to the forum boosh71, also from Northern Ca.

I carry a thin Kimber also in a CBST and have the cant set the best that I can for comfort and being snug to my body. I'm not sure if there's a 100% surefire way to get rid of the occasional snag but just make sure that your shirts are long enough to cover the range of motion while doing those things. I think it's a mix between the position of the gun in the holster and the way we can manipulate our movements that will minimize the snags but probably won't eliminate them. I sometimes have to casually check my shirt tail on that side just to make sure that it's where it's where it is supposed to be but not so often as to look OCD on the matter. Mostly while getting out of a vehicle, before I turn for the world to see.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I've moved up to XXL shirts, and even searched to find some with longer tails for this reason. I am 6' 230Lbs, carrying a full sized Sigma .40 so I have a little bit of shoulder and lat coverage that helps keep my shirts away from the holster, but like others have said give the cant a try as well as how low you go inside the waist.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    So if I'm understanding the OP's question, he stretches or bends over then when he returns to normal position there is fabric that has bunched up between the pistol grip and his body. I carry an M&P 9c in a supertuck as well and haven't experienced this problem (I carry just after 3 o'clock). Maybe because living in Mass. I wear shirts with heavier fabrics and if I wear an untucked shirt it is typically long. The other problem (if you're a younger guy) you may be wearing lower-cut jeans...I wear old man jeans up on my waist so the gun rides higher on my body than possibly does the OP's. The only other thing I can think of is making sure your belt is fairly tight, keeping the grip close to your side.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Distinguished Member
    I've heard of people sewing small weights in the bottom of their shirt to help with this and the wind blowing their cover shirt up.
    rocky likes this.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I've heard of people sewing small weights in the bottom of their shirt to help with this and the wind blowing their cover shirt up.
    You're kidding....right? :)
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Distinguished Member
    Nope.

I haven't tried it myself, though.

Re: Untucked shirt snagging/catching on grip when concealing IWB

Try Duluth Trading Company. Along with their roomier "ball room jeans" they now also carry "butt crack tees" . - tshirts that are three inches longer than most for, well the name says it all.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Check your shirt length...long tail shirts will not only hang on your weapon but also on your body. The handle of the weapon should not stick out behind you. The entire length and width of the handle should be flush with your body....see pic.....

1sticky.jpg....also your shirts may be to tight...look at going up a size or 2.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    AIWB

Another option would be to get fatter - some back fat squished up against the grip might make it less likely for your shirt to get pinched in there. I haven't tried this myself, but it seems like it could work. The height you wear your pants, how you bend over, the fabric of your shirts....there are lots of factors involved here.

Austin
    Yetiman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    AIWB
    Tread carefully and practice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links