Negligent Discharge in vehicle. Wake up call to the CCW community. Sig P238 - Page 2

Negligent Discharge in vehicle. Wake up call to the CCW community. Sig P238

This is a discussion on Negligent Discharge in vehicle. Wake up call to the CCW community. Sig P238 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the post and welcome! No flaming from me - I commend you taking the time to post your experience and hopefully help someone ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Negligent Discharge in vehicle. Wake up call to the CCW community. Sig P238

Thanks for the post and welcome! No flaming from me - I commend you taking the time to post your experience and hopefully help someone else avoid a similar experience. Good work!
    ninjahippie likes this.

I'm glad you and your wife are ok and also that no one else was hurt. You are very brave to share your story and to take full ownership. While this sounds like an ND, you would also do well to have SIG check your weapon to ensure it is not defective.

The most important take away from you post is to NEVER BE COMPLACENT!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Interesting turn of events..............glad no one was hurt.

This story is a good safety reminder for everyone. You can never let your guard down while handling a weapon. Thankfully, this was a free lesson and did not come at the expense of an injury.

Sobering story. Thank you for sharing. It's embarrassing, I know, but it benefits all of us. I remember accidentally sweeping a fellow shooter with a loaded pump-action .556. Nothing happened, but I was embarrassed and terrified that I could make an error like that. I felt awful. But you can bet I've never made that same mistake since.

Glad to hear you and your wife are safe. Also glad to hear that the round didn't exit the vehicle and strike a bystander. Do you recall anyone outside of the vehicle looking at your vehicle? and you are right you never never never can get complacent with anything you do.

Really glad that you guys are ok. Having the mindset that something bad can happen at any second is good advice while handling. That mode helps me to always to have it pointed in a safe direction if my hands are on a weapon. Looks like this may have saved you from a mountain of grief as well. I also agree that it could have been a limp wrist effect that jammed the action so keep that in mind as you fumble through the possibilities. Thanks for the reminder / wake up call and welcome to the forum.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I carry a gun the way it's meant to be carried my 1911 is cocked and locked,when I have to unholster it goes into my COM safe in the car still cocked and locked,when I unholster at night the gun remains cocked and locked.The only time I unload and drop the hammer is when I clean it.
    Sounds like you got complacent and was dropping the hammer on a chambered round in a gun that is designed to be carried with the hammer back safety on.
    lchamp and BritishAgent like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Welcome, and I'm glad everything turned out fine.

In my opinion, having a AD/ND is one of the best things to happen to those who do get complacent, so long as the only thing hurt is pride. You won't ever make that mistake twice if the first one knocks the complacency out of you, because you will remember it every time you handle from then on.

It's really easy to judge others for a ND, but when it happens to you, you feel about two inches tall and question whether or not you are responsible enough to carry. Frankly, if you are asking that question, you have already answered it. Those who take it seriously will ask such questions, and if you take it seriously, you are the person who will learn from the mistakes made and become an even bigger proponent for firearm safety, because you've experienced the effects firsthand. Thank you for sharing!
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Thanks for sharing that. And welcome to the forum.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Welcome to the forum, and thank you for relating such an eye-opening episode.

Something we all need to remember is not to become complacent, and to always remember it is OUR responsibility to manipulate our firearms in a safe manner.

Glad you're both okay.
    Ditto. Welcome to the forum..
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Thanks for posting. Everytime I read of an ad/nd, I learn as much as the person it happened to.

I think your post accident approach is a good one. I would have the pistol checked just to be sure.

Nothing wrong with thanking God.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    Thanks for your post. Very good advice for us . Glad you were ok and your wife did not take your Sig away.

Glad you and your wife are OK. It takes a big man to admit something like this, and to own it, rather than automatically blame it on the weapon.
    Accidental/negligent/unintentional discharges do happen unfortunately, even to people that handle firearms all the time. Fortunately, and probably due to your gun handling skills, the muzzle was pointed in a safe (relative) direction. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully some learning will result.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

That was scary.....
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links