Negligent Discharge in vehicle. Wake up call to the CCW community. Sig P238 - Page 3

Negligent Discharge in vehicle. Wake up call to the CCW community. Sig P238

This is a discussion on Negligent Discharge in vehicle. Wake up call to the CCW community. Sig P238 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank Goodness you and your wife were unharmed. Thank you for sharing an experience that could save others from harm, and remind us all that ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Negligent Discharge in vehicle. Wake up call to the CCW community. Sig P238

Thank Goodness you and your wife were unharmed. Thank you for sharing an experience that could save others from harm, and remind us all that complacency is dangerous.

Respectfully,
    Sam

That is a scary situation. I'm glad neither of you was hurt.

Welcome aboard. I am glad you and your wife are not injured. A couple of comments to help you not flame you. All 1911 style gun are carried condition 1. Cocked and locked. Mine stay that way unless cleaning. You already learned don't mess with it while trying to do something else. Unless Jocky is having a sale. Having a gun discharge in a car is PAINFUL as you are now no. Does that Sig have a grip safety?
    I had a discharge with a South American 1911 style with no grip safety. Went to clean it. I don't clean with anybody around. Took the safety off and put a round through an outside door. Thank goodnees I live in the country. Gun went into the shop the next day for repair. It can happen to anyone so don't beat your self up. Just move on. Be safe.
    Last edited by BkCo1; December 13th, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

As someone who has just entered the Concealed Carry world, thank you very much for being honest and sharing that. I always try to be safe, but reading that reminds me just how particular I need to be about my safety (and those around me). Thanks for sharing.

Thank GOD that all went well after that round discharged. Out of Tragedy comes GOOD and this AD is a Wake up call and a REMINDER to all of us to be Diligent with Firearms at ALL times.

Whenever I place my 1911 in my holster the slide has a tendency to slide back and cock hammer. It is a new leather holster and has to be broken in but if I did not pay attention to detail I could of had a disaster in my hands, literally.

I am confident with my pistols but I handle them like they are atom bombs ready to explode...

Thanks for sharing the story. These types of stories, and the discussions of what should have been done differently serve as a good reminder to the rest of us. It's easy to become complacent. These posts help us keep our head screwed on straight.

Glad to hear no one was hurt, but I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind. What type of ammo were you carrying? If you consider flat, horizontal, 0 degrees, at what approximate angle do you think the round impacted the door? I'll assume the distance was less than 2' or so. I don't have a lot of experience with .380's, but since my wife recently got one, I've become more interested in the ballistics. Your car door provides some interesting real world insight.

Glad your both ok. Its a good reminder for us all to think safety at all times when handling firearms. I bet that 380 sounded like a fifty bmg going off inside your car.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Luck was with you. I much prefer DA/SA to having to mess with cocked and locked (or you hope it is anyhow).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Welcome aboard - hope the adrenaline dump has subsided by now.

Scary as it was, I think an important takeaway is that observing Rule One kept everyone safe. Your muzzle was pointed in a safe direction (your car may have a different opinion) when it went off.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Glad no one hurt, and I agree with you calling it a ND. Complaceny kills, so good that no one hurt in this case. A couple years ago, one of the LEO range master for the police academy in this area had a ND at the academy. Luckily, no one hurt in that case either
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

As others have said, do have that gun looked at by Sig.

Only other thing I will add is that this is a good reminder to always manipulate a handgun with a firing grip - all fingers on the grip, trigger finger extended along the side. This eliminates any other fingers getting into the trigger guard.

Glad you are all OK, other than the ringing in your ears!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Given that your experience seems to be similar to the problem associated with the recall, I'm not sure it was a Negligent Discharge.

Muzzle direction is the primary safety. Always has been and always will be. I'm glad it worked out as well as it did.
    tmoore912 likes this.

Glad you are ok. I read everything I could on ND or AD. I came to the conclusion that the dao action of the p250 with the exposed flat hammer was my safest option. I always keep my thumb on the hammer when holstering. I press the hammer instead of the grip.

I have single action only as we'll as sa/da guns but decockers have always made me nervous. Same goes for safeties. I like it simple. Dao trigger, exposed hammer, no safety. Love my revolvers too for the same reason.

Your story confirms that my decision was a good one for me.
    Thank you.

Administrator
    I put my life and the life of my wife at risk.

Well, you did have your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. So...you can be extra hard on yourself if you want to be but, (in actuality) you did not risk your life or the life of your Wife if your muzzle was pointed in a safe direction.

The whole reason WHY we always point the firearm muzzle in a known safe direction is so that we do not risk our own life or the lives of those around us should there ever be a rare negligent discharge occurrence.

You sure did risk some hearing damage for both of you though.

A note with regard to SIG firearms (in general) I did see a person in my LGS years ago insert a stoked magazine - chamber a round and then reholster a SIG while forgetting to hit the decocker before he did that.

So...absolutely - intimate familiarity is critical with any firearm that you decide to use or carry.

That having been said I have never had a problem with a SIG decocker.

Glad you guys are ok. Just be glad it was a lil bitty 380, surprized it didn't just bounce off the door and land on the floor . If it had been the almighty 45 your car would have blown up.
    F350_6 likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links