conceal carry question?

conceal carry question?

This is a discussion on conceal carry question? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; why is it that most people i talk to and ask them about conceal carry they dont like it, that we shouldnt conceal carry? i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: conceal carry question?

conceal carry question?

why is it that most people i talk to and ask them about conceal carry they dont like it, that we shouldnt conceal carry? i dont understand i can't get a good answer out of them that makes any since ?
    i was just wondering if any of you know a good reason that they dont want to conceal carry?
    let me here your feelings on this!!! thanks

A lot of folks think that if someone is carrying, they're looking for trouble, are a wannabe cop, or are just paranoid. Not much you can say to convince them otherwise. Some people prefer chocolate icecream, others prefer vanilla, it's what makes the world a diverse place and you can't necessarily change personal perceptions.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

I am assuming you aren't talking about the open vs. concealed discussion, just not carrying in general.
    From my experience it is because guns are loud and scary and more menacing looking than many other items people will wear. It also comes down to emotion and ignorance. many people will just make the determination as a snap decision, or worse just listen to someone Else's opinion to form their own, and don't take the time to fully investigate the issue themselves.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Yeah! What he said,plus,is it the whole gun issue or do they prefer to open carry? Which is a big no no as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    A lot of folks think that if someone is carrying, they're looking for trouble, are a wannabe cop, or are just paranoid. Not much you can say to convince them otherwise. Some people prefer chocolate icecream, others prefer vanilla, it's what makes the world a diverse place and you can't necessarily change personal perceptions.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

thanks for your thoughts, it was a friend of mine i just didnt know he was anti gun, he seen me take it off and thats what got it going the talk that is about conceal carry.

I agree with the previous post and I think the mentality of "guns are evil" and "there will be blood in the streets" sold to the non gun people has a big affect on their attitudes. my wife does not like guns and it took some talking about it when I started to carry. After a couple of examples why I carry, she no longer bugs me about it. I have a firend who wants to buy a gun and carry, but his wife is so afraid of guns she doesn't even want them in the house. She is one of those people that think the guns will jump up a shoot someone all by itself. When I go to her house, she has no idea I am carrying and I don't tell her. Carriying is a personal choice. I feel that concealed means concealed from sight and mind. What they don't know won't hurt them
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

It's because you're talking to them about concealed carry. Sheepdogs don't chat with the sheep. It distracts from watching for...wolves.
    joker1, First Sgt and SCXDm9 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

you are so right i wa just taking mine off at home and he seen me do that and he didnt know till then that i carry both me and my wife carry? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twebb View Post
    why is it that most people i talk to and ask them about conceal carry they dont like it, that we shouldnt conceal carry? i dont understand ...
    Everyone's different. Basically, though, I'd say it's flawed logic: that since murderers/robbers have guns, and guns can kill, therefore anyone with a gun can (might) be a murderer/robber, or might morph into one the moment a gun is acquired.

It's human nature to fear what is not understood. And many simply cannot fathom that an upstanding, well-meaning, intelligent and responsible person can manage and safely/effectively use such a tool. To such people, it's irrelevant that the tool has no effective alternatives, and irrelevant that it's a pre-existing, Constitutionally-protected right of all citizens to be armed. Add to that the elected anti-gunner politicos and a willing "tool" media, and you get the perfect storm to play on people's innate (and inflammable) fears.

Just my opinion, of course.
    Tala and boricua like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

yes this is true i didnt say but i didn't start to talk to him about it till after he seen me tske it off in my house! i didnt state that i am sorry thats my fault on that . i am thankfull for your input.!

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    It may be partly that there is a problem with concealed carry. There are a LOT of people carrying a concealed weapon. Licensed and unlicensed. Hotdogs, cowboys, punks, kids, gangbangers, and responsible law abiding ones also. Like the kid in our WalMart 3 weeks ago, in his twenties, not licensed to carry, hot head, got pissed at someone in the store and pulled out a handgun and starting firing. These are the irresponsible ones that give the 2nd amendment a bad name...and it's exactly why I am licensed and do carry. But some people you will never convince or make them understand.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

The sheep think only the police, the military, and celebrity body guards should have guns. These are the same sheep who believe the policeman answers 911 in his super fast patrol car and he and the swat team will be on the scene before the BG can finish thrusting the knife into their back.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I often think that people's aversion to personal firearms in general is an extension of their overall worldview. I am a person who believes in personal responsibility. I don't blame others for my failures, and I don't expect others to cater to my needs. I look to the Lord for help when I need it and comfort when I fail, but beyond that I am responsible for the conduct of my own life in both the positive and negative things that happen to me. Having this worldview in general is one of the things that eventually led to me becoming a firearms owner and getting my CPL. The phrase "when seconds count the police are only minutes away" is very much in keeping with my overall worldview. I have to take responsibility for my own protection and the protection of my family. There are a lot of things in life I can't control but, at least sometimes, that is one thing I CAN control.

The contrast would be those that don't believe in self reliance, responsibility and personal accountability (at least in the same way that I do). People sometimes believe that they have no control over what happens to them, it's always someone else's fault, it's up to someone in "authority" to take responsibility for our protection, and a whole assortment of other modern American fallacies. These folks are scared of guns not just because they are scary (which they are at times), but because the whole idea that "society" or "authorities" can't or won't protect them is perhaps, on some subconscious level at least, absolutely terrifying. Being against concealed carry is a way of living in denial of unpleasant truths in the world.

Most people don't spend enough time in intellectually honest self-examination to have any clue. In fact, many people apparently don't spend ANY time in INTELLECTUALLY HONEST self-examination at all.

It's just a fact of life.

(and yes, it's okay to laugh at GraySkies the philosopher. I can take it)
    joker1, First Sgt and aus71383 like this.

The people you speak off obviously have never ever had a life or near life changing event happen to them.....mugging, robbery, rape, home invasion, etc. I have been lucky enough to have 2 ALMOST events that could have gone really bad.....they didn't and I know why a CCL is very important.......have one and you'll see what I mean.....police would have just been the clean up crew both times.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I will be blunt and concise. Fear, ignorance, self-doubt, conditioning, and then the worst because it isn't cureable... power. I can expand on any of those if you would like.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links