Is 21 too young for a CCW permit? - Page 2

Is 21 too young for a CCW permit?

This is a discussion on Is 21 too young for a CCW permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know some 30+ year-olds who are like 8 year-olds, and I know some 18 year-olds who are extremely mature and responsible. Heck, my 3 ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is 21 too young for a CCW permit?

VIP Member
    I know some 30+ year-olds who are like 8 year-olds, and I know some 18 year-olds who are extremely mature and responsible. Heck, my 3 year-old niece has better maturity and gun safety habits than some adults I\'ve seen. :O

Age sure doesn\'t determine mental maturity.

If a person is old enough to vote and old enough to die for our country when he/she is 18, than he/she should be old enough to buy a handgun and get a CCW.

Way back wheen, kids grew up handling guns like they do Playstations now. Makes you wonder what happened.

i feel the way allot of you do...it depends on the person....but in order to get the ccw to pass in mo. we had to compromise our age limit to 23 years of age..from my understanding of it...and me being over that it really doesnt bother me...but for people like clipse new here as well it was eating that man alive to be 21 and couldnt get his mo. permit....and reading most of his post on the other site i would say he has his s---t together i would shoot any time with him....

Indiana

18 in the great state of Indiana.

Cheap, low restriction, must issue state since 1934.

Administrator

18 - 21 Months Old Sounds OK To Us

Happy New Year Folks!

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    wish it were 18 here in PA, I live in a crappy neighborhood and am just gonna have to make due with a knife and pepper spray for another year.

I was thinking that one could possibly get a NH permit (18) and carry in PA but i\'d want to talk to a lawyer before experimenting with loopholes

First off, QK shooter that is a great pic. Maybe its time for the Betty Ford day care center.

Now about 21 yr olds and CCW.

I have seen 40 and 50 yrs old act like they are 6. (And 6 year olds act 40 or 50 for that matter) As others have stated above a 21 year old who completes the process is probably responsible. If they do screw you can be sure they will be held accountable.

I think you or I have a lot more to worry about from the dimwits of all ages on the roads.

Basically, I don\'t see any reason to deny an adult the right to protect themselves.

PS. For the sake of argument, what do you think IS a good age?

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    lt8tmgya is correct that NM law does not provide for reciprocity with anyone. The NMSSA (our state NRA affiliate) will certainly try to get things changed during the 60-day legislative session that will run from Jan 19 until March, but it\'s too early to predict how successful they\'ll be. There has been concern that the 25-yr age limit would get in the way of reciprocity agreements (typically negotiated between attorneys general or departments of public safety), but that is a moot point until reciprocity is even possible.

I was a late bloomer in IN: only got my permit when I was 19.

In MO, they gave up to an ammendment by a liberal to make the minimum 23 for CCW. It is 21 for car carry. So you could be a vet from Iraq and not be able to carry in MO. Makes a hell of a lot of sense to me, NOT!

I was married with a good job and buying my first house when I was 21. I think I could have handled a CCW license. But as others have said, age is not a good indication of maturity.

I am 22 years old. I was 21 when I took my CCW class for my out of state permit. In Missouri you have to be 23 to get a Missouri permit. Alot of the legislators wanted 25 and the law was originally writen to be 21 so they comprimised to get it passed. Missouri also has full riciprocity with no age limit on out of state permits. Either way, I turn 23 this month and won\'t have to worry about it after that.

I think 21 is the right age to start. At the class I took, it was commented to by one of the instructors that I was one of the safest. I qualified with a 1911 and got irratated when the instructor started yelling at me for not have the safety on when it was on. I think they looked down on my because I was the youngest in the class by a good 10 years. When I got to shooting though I did alot better than all but two other people. One was my father-in-law and he is the one that taught me how to shoot and safely handle a gun.

I have taken my dad shooting and my little 10 year old brother. I feel safer with my brother and won\'t go shooting with my dad again. He is deffinately not mature enough to handle a gun. He can\'t get the freaking rules in his head. He thinks he can\'t learn anything from his son. Anyway........

I don\'t think 21 is too young. Like they said above. The ones that will go through the training are the good ones anyway.

clipse

I agree that it really depends on the person\'s maturity level, but based on the same principle that lowered the voting age to 18 (old enough to die for/serve my country but can\'t vote...?!? ***??), I would have to say 18. Wouldn\'t it be AWESOME if schools across the country taught a mandatory \"firearms ed\" class, similar to drivers ed i.e. hands on training with various types of firearms, from flintlock muzzleloaders up to semi-auto rifles and handguns. Hey, I can dream, can\'t I?!?

Being a Hoosier, I am well aware of the silliness/irony that you can *carry* a handgun at 18, but can\'t BUY your own until 21!! :question:

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    [i]Being a Hoosier, I am well aware of the silliness/irony that you can *carry* a handgun at 18, but can\'t BUY your own until 21!! :question:
    At least, not from an FFL. Get it as a gift \"dad, THIS is what i want for christmas, what would you like?\" or buy from a third party FTF.

Kahrman
    Well I guess I am going to be the contrary opinion here. I believe it should be 25. If you have military service or law enforcement I would waiver it, but my exposure to the \"under 25 crowd\" is that they are a tad too cocky and full of bravado. That negatively affects their ability to be responsible, IMO.

My opinion is that nowdays reaching ones 21st birthday in no way equates to ones level of maturity, especially in light of seeing threads such as \"what caliber for zombies\" and other such non-sense being posted on many gun related forums.

In general I think 25 should be the minimum age for a concealed hangun permit unless current law enforcement or active military service.

In general I think 25 should be the minimum age for a concealed hangun permit unless current law enforcement or active military service.
    Do you wanna give me specific reasons why you think that? I know alot of people that are well over 25 that are alot less capable of handling firearms than me and my similarly aged friends. Why should I know be able to protect my wife and kids and you should? Is it because I only have 10 years of firearms experience instead of 20 or 30? Or is it because bad guys only look for middle aged prey?

Few things frustrate me as much as this subject.

Sorry for any offence.

clipse

HighFever
    Originally posted by Kahrman
    Well I guess I am going to be the contrary opinion here. I believe it should be 25. If you have military service or law enforcement I would waiver it, but my exposure to the \"under 25 crowd\" is that they are a tad too cocky and full of bravado. That negatively affects their ability to be responsible, IMO.
    I don\'t agree with you but I think I know what you are saying. Correct me if I\'m wrong. I\'m only 22 and am new to shooting, but there are alot of guys I know that are just not grown up yet. Cocky is a good description in some case, immature probably is closer to the way I see them. They even make me feel old. My parents have always said that I was very mature for my age because I never wore my hat backwards, my pants a foot below my waist or got into the goth or drug scene like some of my friends did. There are few of my friends or just people I know that I would want to be around if they had a gun with them. I also know some adults that I would not want to be around if they had a gun either, but probably less of them than my age.

Maybe there needs to be some other measure of maturity rather than age for CCW.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links