Is 21 too young for a CCW permit? - Page 4

Is 21 too young for a CCW permit?

This is a discussion on Is 21 too young for a CCW permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Take a breath guys, you\'re all on the same side, just different opinions ;)...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is 21 too young for a CCW permit?

DC Founder
    Take a breath guys, you\'re all on the same side, just different opinions ;)

HighFever
    Even though my parents think it is alright for me to have a permit they also think the age limit should be higher so I don\'t get upset with other peoples opinions. I would be okay with bigger test requirements. I wouldn\'t want a bunch of thugs messing up the statistics since that is what I use to talk to and hopefully convince peple that don\'t shoot that carrying concealed is a good thing for everyone.

Rickman
    Twenty one is too young for some, but so is forty. For some. :rat:

Rickman
    I posted before reading all of the controversy going on in this thread. What did you wade into, Kahrman? LOL <watches from the sidelines>

Honestly, though, it was just an opinion and not something to get stirred up about.

Originally posted by lt8tmgya
    I understand there is no minimum age for a pilot\'s license. If the pilot has the hours and passes exams, he gets it.
    The statement about age minimum is not correct. There are minimum ages for various licenses; the highest license has a minimum age of 23.

The issuance of pilot certificates is based on logged hours and performance on written and practical tests. Guidelines are federal, so you don\'t have to worry about whether you can fly over a restaurant that serves alcohol in another state.

I, too, would prefer a better system of judging when a person is competent to carry. The case can be made for a correlation between chronological and emotional maturity, but there are certainly exceptions in both directions.

Maybe we could encourage both maturity and attentive parenting if we eliminated age limits altogether, but made the parent responsible for any actions of his/her dependents. Give junior the keys to the car (or gun safe) at any age you want, but if somebody gets hurt, YOU pay the fine, go to jail, etc. I suspect that kids would get more and better guidance.

As for the age limit system, it\'s flawed, but probably the best \"general\" incicator we have now. I don\'t think 21 is too young.

SSKC

21 for a permit?

Only have to be 18 to go into a combat zone with a full auto weapon (or much bigger) and kill your countries enemies. I had my first carry permit at age 21 and see nothing wrong with it. It\'s kinda like a mechanical safety. In the end, the OPERATOR is the final arbiter of \"safety.\" And while we\'re at it on safety.....SAFETY is nice but it\'s not FIRST. LIFE is FIRST and LIFE is not \"safe!\"

clipse you radical...:D

Yeah - seems to be kinda comin'outta his shell - don\'t he?

Like I said, nothing irratates me more than some one telling me that I\'m not old enough to be responsible.

clipse

That\'s OK revlar, Alwims is back now...We can ease up on him...not.

I figure that if most states allow 16 year olds who go through a process to have unrestricted drivers licenses, why not let them have firearms too?

Hand out \'learners concealed weapons permits'to 15 year olds who take the class in high school or go to a private institution with parental permission so they can carry legally in the custody of their parents and get used to it.

After all, the kid with the 70s land yacht is more likely to kill more people with it driving drunk than with a handgun.

Call me a radical.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

As a PDB from NJ...

As a PDB from NJ who can't even purchase a pistol until I turn 21, I feel the pain of the younger guys on the forum. I also think that age should have nothing to do with it. And although I'm a fan of the Vermont / Alaska style carry laws, there are a bunch of people that I wouldn't want to be able to go out and just purchase a pistol and strap it on (they'd end up shooting themselves in the foot).

That being said. I'm a volunteer firefighter for more then 5 years and an EMT for more then 3. I've worked for the US Army as an engineering technician for the last 4 years part time while going to school. No one, anywhere, has the right to tell me that I'm not mature enough for the responsibilty of owning and carrying a firearm.

However, when I move out of state and get my CCW (cuz i'll be gone before NJ changes the law...) I will take the classes to prove that I know what I'm doing.

Just my $0.02.

Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Technically no, the human brain is still growning up to age 25 or 26. Theoretticlly speaking, possible cognitive skills are probably not all there yet. Maybe haven't been exposed to enough real world situations to use rational but also will depend on the individual. Too many laws and regulations are being written based on fears and not logic. Any one else see the flaws in this?

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I got my first .22 rifle when I was 13 years old. I could only use it with my Dad, who drilled safety into my head so hard I use to get very impatient with him. He didn't care, he just kept on telling me what I needed to know. When I was 17, I used to go hunting with my pals, mostly ducks or rabbits with our shotguns. I had a 12 ga. single shot by then. Is 21 OK for a CCW permit? You bet it is. I've known plenty of guys under 21 that were entrusted with defending this country by force of arms. I'd trust them with my life and you better believe I'd feel OK about them carrying a weapon in civilian life. We don't need all this "big brother" stuff telling us what we can or can't do. Thanks for letting me vent. Had to add my $0.02 worth.

I think that if an 18-21 yr old is mature enough to want to LEGALLY CARRY a weapon, he should be able to. I don't think it's right for different states to have different requirements. The qualifying instructor should have the authority/responsibility to cull out those he/she feels are not qualified. Now, is there a maximum age to consider ? At 60 years old, there are times I question the logic of me carring a weapon. I don't enjoy practicing anymore due to the pain, so obviously my accuracy level isn't as good as it once was. My vision sucks . My attitude has soured. There are many older folks that still insist on driving a car, when they can barely rember how to start it. Doesn't the same principle apply to the older CCW holder ? Who are you safer around - a semi-mature 18-21 year old, or a old fart with CRS ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links