Is 21 too young for a CCW permit?

This is a discussion on Is 21 too young for a CCW permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has always troubled me. I know they are old enough to go to war and drink (responsibly?) and all but I am not sure ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is 21 too young for a CCW permit?

Is 21 too young for a CCW permit?

This has always troubled me. I know they are old enough to go to war and drink (responsibly?) and all but I am not sure most kids I see around that age are responsible enough to carry a weapon. Is 21 the magic age for most CCW states? or are some of them higher? Do you think that 21 is reasonable or am I being an old fogie?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

That's A valid Question.

But, when do people (in general) grow up? Some people never do.

VIP Member
    It should be ok. I've met some 15 year olds that make some 21 year olds look like 8 year olds. It's an attitude. I think the 21 year olds who are willing to go through the process of getting a permit are likely pretty good 21 year olds.

Indiana issues to 18 year olds.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    21 in most states. New Mexico has 25, which prevents reciprocity with a lot of other states.

I think 21 is fine as stated some 21 yr olds seem like 8 year olds..

But usually if you are will to put the time and money out for a ccw i think they are more likly to be responicable than not

Most states,like here in tennessee, you're required to take a safety course in order to apply for a permit so no matter what age ,as long as you are 21 by law to carry with permit,you still have to prove you have a little common sense and are competent with a firearm.Personally, I think you should be able to carry when you turn 18 as long as you can prove your competent enough.Of course I also believe good safe gun handling should be passed down from parent to child but good parenting is slowly becoming scarce :( . J.M.H.O. Have a safe and happy new year, Lazyace1975.

Senior Moderator
    This has always troubled me. I know they are old enough to go to war and drink (responsibly?) and all but I am not sure most kids I see around that age are responsible enough to carry a weapon. Is 21 the magic age for most CCW states? or are some of them higher? Do you think that 21 is reasonable or am I being an old fogie?

It depends on the kid, but you have to start somewhere. I went in the Navy when I was 17. Got stationed on a carrier.

Most of the weapons handlers loading the jets were less than 21. That included loading and moving tactical nukes around. The pilots were in their mid 20s.

We had a contingent of about 200 Marines on board. Most of them were less than 21. They had no problems carrying M-16's and .45's with them. They also had a full complement of arms. M-60's, LAW's and all kinds of anti -armour stuff.

Not to mention the MM\'s that were running the nuclear reactors never seemed to be more than 21.

I have a nephew in the Army. He is 20. He's is the driver for an M1 Tank. He has been in Iraq for a year or so. Their current job is to drive through the streets of Bagdad to draw fire form the insurgents.His tank has been hit with some RPGs and numerous small arms fire... luckily all its done so far is knock some paint off.

I personally think that the military forces kids to grow up and I have no problems with them toting guns.

On the other hand....some of the young punks in college seem seriously challenged just driving up and down the street. The ones that work in the fast food joints are too stupid to figure out how to make change from a dollar.God forbid you should break their routine by asking them something out of the ordinary...because some of them act like it completley blows their mind.

21 is a bit early for some folks and a bit late for others.

But...ya gotta start somewhere...

The fact is that without having some kind of Orwellian state reminescent of 1984, we cannot effectively regulate at what age anything is appropriate for an individual.

We have decided as a nation that at 18 years old you can vote. IMHO if you can vote, you should be able to do anything else including own and carry a handgun.

There must be a universal cutoff point even if it is a bit contrived and artificial. At some point you are legally an adult. It should be clear and it is not.

What blows my mind is that long guns are much more effective and yet are generally available long before you can legally own a handgun.

21 is too old IMO. I\'d make it 18. Same with buying handguns from dealers.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by HotGuns
    21 is a bit early for some folks and a bit late for others.

But...ya gotta start somewhere...
    Yup, what he said. End of story ;)

Correct about here in NM. Don\'t understand the 25 thing. Just found out that Texas will now recognize our CCW but as stated earlier, we can\'t offer it back due to our age limit:(

ccw
    Although 21 is the legal age to carry in most states, you have a valid question. As an instructor, I have the responsibility to make that decision. I do have the authority to turn down any student for any reason. If I get a student that I don\'t believe for any reson should be issued a permit, then I simply don\'t sign off on their paperwork. They will not be issued a permit. If they lack the maturity I believe is necessary or the proper mind sett (lack of any RAMBO syndrom for example) then I will not sign off on the application. I owe this to the student and all of us who carry responsibly each and every day.

Originally posted by Jacob Lee
    Correct about here in NM. Don\'t understand the 25 thing. Just found out that Texas will now recognize our CCW but as stated earlier, we can\'t offer it back due to our age limit:(
    I think I have read that the NM law does not allow reciprocity and will likely be changed to include it in 2005.

minimum age

I understand there is no minimum age for a pilot\'s license. If the pilot has the hours and passes exams, he gets it.

I submit that the minimum age for CWP in a state should match the minimum age at which a person may be charged and tried as an adult. That\'s the legal competency test.

Of course most states disallow carrying on any school property anyway, so the place where a kid spends most of his time (and faces the most danger nowadays) would still be off limits and a CWP would do him little good.

I don\'t know about you all but I sure slept a lot easer when my 21 year old daughter got her CCW, yes I bought her the SW 649 and 1,000 rounds to practice with to (she is 24 now)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links