Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes - Page 2

Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

This is a discussion on Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Asking Family and Friends to carry would be like asking the manager of a mall if were ok to carry. The whole point of a ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

Asking Family and Friends to carry would be like asking the manager of a mall if were ok to carry. The whole point of a Concealed Carry License is to Carry it Concealed, Out of Sight and Out of Mind.

I carry where ever the law permits me to and I don't tell a soul...

I don't ask. Any body I give a damn about knows I always carry, if they don't want my gun in their house they don't want me. Pretty much that simple.
    OD* and Spirit51 like this.

I don't ask and I'm careful how I hug. Alway carry, never tell.
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    IT woould depend on where they live. Some states require you to have homeowners permission. I believe SC is one of them. If state law doesn't require it, don't bring it up.
    This.

Nope....they don't need to know.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Not a topic or conversation piece I intend to have when visiting a friend. Just because I'm visiting a friend at their house does not mean that I suddenly became ten foot tall and bullet proof. To my knowledge they are just as likely to a suffer a home invasion as I am at my house and therefor it seems prudent to remain armed for the sake of safety for the entire household. Firearms are a subject best discussed amongst like minded people; any other theory IMO is just asking for trouble. Like its been said already. I generally don't visit anti gun folks anyway, and if I do or have, well my position works pretty well, because I/they sure didn't know it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

OD*
    I don't ask, concealed is concealed.

If I have prior knowledge to their beliefs about not allowing concealed weapons in their home, I don't go.
    Chief1297 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I dont ask if I can bring my pocketknife in their house. I dont ask is going commando is okay. I dont ask if its okay I park a car with XXXYYY bumper sticker in their driveway.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I don't bring it up - if they haven't noticed the hunk of plastic and steel when I hug them yet, they never will. And if they haven't brought it up - I assume they don't want to think/talk about it.

Austin

I have many acquaintances.... and handful of friends.... I know how the friends feel, and I've turned more than a few acquaintances into friends, by asking. I don't hold myself in such high esteem that I'd hold my rights above anyone else's. I've never been refused entry, and I've always been thanked for asking. Works for me. YMMV.....
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    Yes I do. While I have the right to carry if I want to they have the right to not have guns in their house if they don't want them there. I do not want anyone taking my rights away. I sure don't see where I have the right to take their rights away in their own home. I do not have to go to their home if they don't want me to carry. Be very careful people. We seem to think our rights are all that matter.
    Not saying to do something that is against their wishes, but if they don't express their wishes, it isn't your responsibility to bring it up. If it were, you'd spend half your life asking if it is alright to do something.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by contented View Post
    According to Handgunlaw.us it is indeed illegal to carry a ccw into a private residence w/o the owners permission in South Carolina.
    "Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License. Carrying concealed weapons into residences or dwellings. No person who holds a permit issued
    pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may carry a concealable weapon into the residence or dwelling place of another person without the express permission of the owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate."

I discovered that nugget while familiarizing myself on laws in states I visit or travel through regularly. Personally I don't ask but won't violate the law or carry into a home where I can reasonably expect the owner to be anti.
    Indeed. I have very few friends who are anti's. I don't carry in their houses (in SC) but then again, I hardly go there. All my other friends do carry and have no problem with me carrying in their home, just as I have no problem with them carrying while in my home.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Nope. The less people that know, the better. Now my close family is all for guns and me carrying so it's a non-issue. My mom did have a CHL, my sis and aunt also do, my grandma doesn't have any issues with it as long as it's out of reach of the kids - ie safe in my holster, and I really don't go to anybody else's house.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Try the "reasonable man" argument.... would a "reasonable man" expect that any other person would have to enumerate all of their dislikes, before allowing you into THEIR home? In my opinion, NO, a reasonable man would not. Would a reasonable man expect that he could take his dog into his neighbor's home without asking? I think not. I s'pose I best make the declaration that I consider another person's home to be private property.
    Ogre and Toorop like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I would want to know if someone were bringing a weapon into my house because I may not know the level of competence (IE the person could be a complete moron and clueless to firearms safety) so I inform others that I am not well acquainted with that I am arm. Now, most of you are going to say "Well, why are you letting people in your house you don't know very well". I love to cook and because of that I do a decent amount of entertaining. It's not uncommon that I may be having a get together and a friend may bring a date that I don't really know. Come on... We have all seen it. That person that is a totally clueless when it comes to guns. That person that will whip out his CCW, finger on the trigger in the middle of a gun shop. I want to know who is armed in my house so that I can decide whether they should be around myself and my guests with a loaded weapon. And because I would expect to be notified, I show others the same respect.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links