Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

This is a discussion on Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Spovik I don't ask. I assume they have no problem with my 2A right until they say they do. If I ever ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    I don't ask. I assume they have no problem with my 2A right until they say they do. If I ever do get "made" by someone I visit, I'll just ask them why it's an issue today when I've been carrying at their property plenty of times without incident.
    Wouldn't it be safer to assume they do? I don't know you from Adam and I would not want you carrying into my home. I have a few friends who I do know that I would rather they not carry into my home.
    Ogre and minimalbrat like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    In Arkansas you have a duty to notify the homeowner if you are carrying and he has the right to say no as it should be.
    Ogre likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Wouldn't it be safer to assume they do? I don't know you from Adam and I would not want you carrying into my home. I have a few friends who I do know that I would rather they not carry into my home.
    Safer for whom? IMO it's safer to leave it in its holster on my person than handling it, disarming and leaving where someone can get access to it either intentionally or not. I don't intend to imply my opinion is more important than theirs, and I respect the wishes of the property owner. If I ever visited you, knowing now you do not want me carrying, I'd respect your ground rules. However, firearms aren't taboo in my area and the circles I socialize in are fine with responsible ownership that if they ever did find out, they'd be more intrigued than put off.

Actually it could hurt them. What happens when you have a negligent discharge and someone gets hurt? It has happened many times in various stores across the country, sometimes people are injured, and the business loses customers and business for the next few days as people hesitate to go there. Not to mention the intangible benefits like their reputation. What about their rights?

Or if you have a psychotic episode and do something terrible while at their home? How many times have we read about someone who was normal goinghttp://smith-wessonforum.com/register.php crazy and doing something bad and they had a permit? Can you safely say that nothing will happen to you?
    How is a properly holstered gun going to hurt somebody. Negligent discharges do not occur in holsters.

As far as me becoming psychotic and killing them with my gun that can happen without my gun. Butcher block in the kitchen!!!

I am responsible for my gun. I'd rather leave it in my holster than in my vehicle while in thier home. If somebody breaks into my car and steals my gun I could have a murder on my conscious from the BG that stole my gun.

Last weekend in my town a drugged out parolee went to murder all his family. Went from house to house killing his parents, siblings, and children. At the third house the police finally caugh up to him and shot him dozens of times. I got to X-ray this jewel of society in the ER of our trauma center. You never know when of where your sidearm will be needed. That's why I always carry and never tell. In my job I see the worst of my community. I will not let my family fall victim to masses of criminals my state can't keep locked up.

For the good of all I always carry and never tell. Again, properly holstered and concealed nobody will be physically hurt or feel there rights violated as they won't know i'm carrying. If a situation dictates I unholster my firearm anti-gun or not at that moment I'm sure they would be glad I was carrying.
    Mike1956, BkCo1 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

My son and husband have a few friends I wouldn't want to be armed in my home.
    suntzu likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    Do you ask family and friends if you could carry inside their house, or on their property? Why or why not?
    No. Nobody needs to know, despite possibly wanting to.

Should they ever express an opinion on the matter that ends with demanding I disarm, I have no problem leaving and not returning. But that's just me.

I don't believe it's worth harming a relationship for such a thing. Though, such folks exist who apparently do. It is what it is ... family/friends or not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I really don't ask considering I shoot guns with a lot of my friends. The only person outside of my shooting buddies who know I carry is my mom and dad, and my grandpa who was a marine and has no problems with guns and no problem with me protecting myself and my family.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    No, I do not ask permission for something that is my God given right. Not of an entity, individual nor of a property owner. If that person has an aversion to the 2nd Amendment I swear I will never come to their rescue and will support their decision by watching them be victimized, but I will not allow that of myself nor loved one, nor innocent citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    How is a properly holstered gun going to hurt somebody. Negligent discharges do not occur in holsters.

As far as me becoming psychotic and killing them with my gun that can happen without my gun. Butcher block in the kitchen!!!

I am responsible for my gun. I'd rather leave it in my holster than in my vehicle while in thier home. If somebody breaks into my car and steals my gun I could have a murder on my conscious from the BG that stole my gun.

Last weekend in my town a drugged out parolee went to murder all his family. Went from house to house killing his parents, siblings, and children. At the third house the police finally caugh up to him and shot him dozens of times. I got to X-ray this jewel of society in the ER of our trauma center. You never know when of where your sidearm will be needed. That's why I always carry and never tell. In my job I see the worst of my community. I will not let my family fall victim to masses of criminals my state can't keep locked up.

For the good of all I always carry and never tell. Again, properly holstered and concealed nobody will be physically hurt or feel there rights violated as they won't know i'm carrying. If a situation dictates I unholster my firearm anti-gun or not at that moment I'm sure they would be glad I was carrying.
    Thank you for carrying the burden of defending folks....must be a big responsibility Seriously, become a cop. On topic: If I know someone does not want me to carry (my dad and mom) then wife and I will keep it in the truck. That is respect. Yada yada "but they are not respecting my right to defend myself". I don't buy that with Mom and Dad. Mom brought me into this world so I can show her some respect in her house.
    PEF and Toorop like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

For the good of all I always carry and never tell. Again, properly holstered and concealed nobody will be physically hurt or feel there rights violated as they won't know i'm carrying.

playing the devil's advocate....So by removing my right to choose, via deception, I won't feel as if my rights have been circumvented? That sounds like the obozo administration.... "we need to pass this bill, so we can see what's in it".

With all due respect, who voted for an unknown person to carry "for the good of all"? To me, that sounds like someone who "almost" made it into the police academy.

I am responsible for my gun. I'd rather leave it in my holster than in my vehicle while in thier home
    Respects sir, but the other side of that coins is, "I am responsible for my home and those who are in it. I WILL exercise my right to TOTALLY control who brings what into my home."

OldVet said it very well.....

It's my house, my private property, my rules apply, your "rights" don't, so there's no "public property" issue to debate. You plan on bringing a loaded gun into my house, you'd best be asking me first. A little common courtesy goes a long ways. Ask and you shall receive.

Disclaimer.... I am for carry, in whatever mode one chooses. I am also for the rights of the homeowner. In this thread, I side with the homeowner.
    suntzu, Rollo, oakchas and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

I don't carry in my parents home out of respect for them - I know how they feel about it and while I could probably slip it in undetected most of the time, at some point I'll get an unexpected hug or something and not only freak them out, but lose their trust.

I'm not much of a social butterfly so most people who's home I go to are close friends and I either know how they feel about the issue or they know I carry. I've got no problem locking it up in my vehicle for those who don't want a gun in their home, even if they can't see it.

It's like I always tell my kids and their friends - my house, my rules. When you go to someone else's house you follow their rules. I follow that principle myself.

CJM
    Actually it could hurt them. What happens when you have a negligent discharge and someone gets hurt? It has happened many times in various stores across the country, sometimes people are injured, and the business loses customers and business for the next few days as people hesitate to go there. Not to mention the intangible benefits like their reputation. What about their rights?

Or if you have a psychotic episode and do something terrible while at their home? How many times have we read about someone who was normal going crazy and doing something bad and they had a permit? Can you safely say that nothing will happen to you?
    Good grief. This sounds like something taken directly off the Brady Campaign website.

If you have friends that you don't trust with guns in your home, then you must really suck at picking friends. Find some new ones.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I would want to know if someone were bringing a weapon into my house because I may not know the level of competence (IE the person could be a complete moron and clueless to firearms safety) so I inform others that I am not well acquainted with that I am arm. Now, most of you are going to say "Well, why are you letting people in your house you don't know very well". I love to cook and because of that I do a decent amount of entertaining. It's not uncommon that I may be having a get together and a friend may bring a date that I don't really know. Come on... We have all seen it. That person that is a totally clueless when it comes to guns. That person that will whip out his CCW, finger on the trigger in the middle of a gun shop. I want to know who is armed in my house so that I can decide whether they should be around myself and my guests with a loaded weapon. And because I would expect to be notified, I show others the same respect.
    That's fine. You as the home owner decides what is appropriate in your house. It is your right to do that, and to ask the question of someone coming to your house. It is not their responsibility to tell you they are carrying.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you have friends that you don't trust with guns in your home, then you must really suck at picking friends. Find some new ones.
    Competance with a firearm does not mean I want you aas a friend nor is it a definition or quality of friendship. Lots of bad guys are proficient with guns. That was not a very good arguement.
    Ogre likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Anybody have anything like this to check out people entering your residence?
    Garrett Superscanner Metal Detectors | Tactical Security Wands | MetalDetector.com
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links