Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes - Page 5

Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

This is a discussion on Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good grief. This sounds like something taken directly off the Brady Campaign website. As posted elsewhere.... It's not that I'm anti carry, rather Pro Constitution.... ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

Good grief. This sounds like something taken directly off the Brady Campaign website.
    As posted elsewhere.... It's not that I'm anti carry, rather Pro Constitution.... and the Constitution does NOT say you can carry on my property, absent my consent.

If you have friends that you don't trust with guns in your home, then you must really suck at picking friends. Find some new ones.
    If you feel that being a friend requires that you be allowed to carry, on your friends' private property, in defiance of that friends' rights, then you might want to re-evaluate your criteria for friendship.
    oakchas and Ogre like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    That's fine. You as the home owner decides what is appropriate in your house. It is your right to do that, and to ask the question of someone coming to your house. It is not their responsibility to tell you they are carrying.
    Again, it's about RESPECT. Something that is SERIOUSLY lacking in this country recently. I am going into someone else's home. I am bringing something potentially dangerous with me. Out of respect for another human being and citizen I feel that I should respect their rights as much as my own. So... I feel they have a right to know that I am bringing something potentially dangerous in their home. I'm not saying that it is my responsibility to inform the home owner that I am carrying. I'm saying that I have enough respect for someone that has invited me into their home to do so.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    That's fine. You as the home owner decides what is appropriate in your house. It is your right to do that, and to ask the question of someone coming to your house. It is not their responsibility to tell you they are carrying.
    I disagree sir. If I let you know I'm coming to visit, do you presume I'm intending to bring my large dog, after walking him thru a muddy field and tell me not to, or should I ask if it's ok to bring him, and his mud along? In my opinion, courtesy and respect would dictate that I ask if the presence of my muddy dog would be unwelcome.

I was raised in a military family, and have military experience in my history. Perhaps that's where my sense of respect comes from. The military teaches respect, as well as demands it. That's a good thing.
    Toorop likes this.

Some of my toys....

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    I disagree sir. If I let you know I'm coming to visit, do you presume I'm intending to bring my large dog, after walking him thru a muddy field and tell me not to, or should I ask if it's ok to bring him, and his mud along? In my opinion, courtesy and respect would dictate that I ask if the presence of my muddy dog would be unwelcome.
    If your large muddy dog was concealed in your pocket, it wouldn't be a problem. Analogy fallacy.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    If your large muddy dog was concealed in your pocket, it wouldn't be a problem. Analogy fallacy.
    ...yet the respect issue remains...and deception is a poor foundation for respect, or friendship.

and, with that, nobody is gonna change anyone else's mind in this issue, and I've voiced my opinions. this horse isn't gonna get up, so y'all have a nice day.

I am glad that this discussion remained civil. Thanks to all for that.
    oakchas and aus71383 like this.

Some of my toys....

I'm surprised this has turned out the way it did.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The anti's all think we're knuckledraggin-boogerpickin-tabaccychewin-redneck-guntotin-religionclingin fools. I guess we gotta add disrespectin in there too now, huh?

So, let's take one aspect of our moniker and apply the "If you don't see it until it's time fer me to use it, I ain't infringin on no rights." rule...)

We'll use tabaccychewin... And here all this time, you just thought I had a cro-magnon lower lip... or maybe an underbite... You don't know I chew, or you thought it was gum.

I'ma visit your house... I socialize with the group of y'all fer a bit... but then I gotta spit... see, I gotta get a fresh cut , so I gotta "use it."

All I got's to spit in is his fine wineglass you gave me (oh BTW, I pack a gun, too, so I told you I was a teetotaler and asked for some sevenup in my glass... Can't be drinkin and carryin. That'd be irresponsible). And I'm a gentleman... so I ain't gonna spit on your floor...

So, I'll just spit in this here purdy glass... and set it on the mantle over there... and get me another glass of sevenup... and maybe that all works out fine... fer a bit...

Then, your buddy Chauncey, well he's been workin' on this cute little thing the whole nite... and he's had quite a bit o' yer boxed wine... Well, he set's his goblet next to mine on the mantle while explainin' all about the wonders of the universe he's seen from his cubicle at work to the purdy young thing.... and just as he catches his breath fer a spell, he reaches fer his goblet... only he gets mine, my old one... with the spittle in it... oh, and a chunk o' snuff to boot.... And he takes a healthy swaller.... finished off the glass in one big ol' gulp.....

Ruh roh, Raggy...

Ol' Chaunce, he's gettin a little green around the gills... And he casts his ol' head from side to side... and looks like he's gonna run fer the outhouse.... only the crowd's kinda stiflin' him... and he cain't hold back... his ol' cheeks swell up like a couple a big ol' ticks... and well, thar she blows! He's done retched right in the middle of a cluster of your fine friends from university....

And they find themselves gaggin and retchin... and they joins in... there's et up shrimps and lasagnee, wine and cheesecake flowin' from everbody like mount visuvius ... looks like a puke fest and startin to reek like one, too!

As the crowd gathers themselves, and get their coats from the bedroom, headin out, thinkin' your shrimp was "a little old" but bein' too polite to say so... they start goin' home...

As I leave... I tip my hat to the two of you... And thank you fer the fine pardy... and say "Sorry 'bout the mess... Boy, you folks sure throw a fine gig... Would you like some help cleanin' up?" "No need" you say. "I'll see y'all next time. Thanks again," is my final a deew.

And see, I was a gentleman... I apologized for the mess I created (but y'all didn't clue in)... I even offered to help clean up... (ain't no worse than hog slop or sheep dip, after all), But bein' the fine friends you are to all, you take the situation into your own hands.... Now, that's the mark of some real genteel folk... Y'all are great.

And you never infringed on my right to carry.... or to chew... right nice of y'all.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

No. CANT
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Again, it's about RESPECT. Something that is SERIOUSLY lacking in this country recently. I am going into someone else's home. I am bringing something potentially dangerous with me. Out of respect for another human being and citizen I feel that I should respect their rights as much as my own. So... I feel they have a right to know that I am bringing something potentially dangerous in their home. I'm not saying that it is my responsibility to inform the home owner that I am carrying. I'm saying that I have enough respect for someone that has invited me into their home to do so.
    Do you also ask if you can bring your pocket knife into their house also? What about a BIC lighter? Both are potentially dangerous.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    If I had anyone I was visiting that doesn't know then I'd probably just remain silent on the issue. But, fortunately for me, that scenario isn't going to be often at all. It might be very, very rarely. But, if told not to bring them, then I can't come either because I won't put myself at risk with no way to defend myself just for their desires. There are plenty of examples out there of a home invasion occurring and, while it has a low probability of happening to me, I don't want to need a gun and wish I had one. I'd rather have one and not need it. Since carrying I have decided to do my best to not do things which require me to not be able to have it on me. I want to go to a range in Washington but I'm waiting for my Washington CPL to come before I go. Going over there to apply was not a pleasant experience for me knowing that my gun was locked up in the back and magazines unloaded.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I was attracted to this forum for two main reasons.

1) The respect and decorum here are unmatched.

2) I learn a lot here.

This turns out to be a superb topic! So much in fact that I am now questioning one of my CC practices. I thought I had a good response to post. After reading all the posts made I find myself at odds. It turns out that I am going to need to do some research on this subject as it obviously goes very deep. I have yet to see a subject posted on this forum that is so polar among CC people.

It is my feeling that after I conduct my research that this can only be addressed with a blog. A simple post doesn't feel adequate.

I think that posters on both sides of this topic have very insightful points. I'll make a post when I'm ready to submit a blog on this. To the posters (and future posters): I appreciate your honest and insightful views. To the OP: GREAT THREAD!
    skatalite likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    Safer for whom? IMO it's safer to leave it in its holster on my person than handling it, disarming and leaving where someone can get access to it either intentionally or not. I don't intend to imply my opinion is more important than theirs, and I respect the wishes of the property owner. If I ever visited you, knowing now you do not want me carrying, I'd respect your ground rules. However, firearms aren't taboo in my area and the circles I socialize in are fine with responsible ownership that if they ever did find out, they'd be more intrigued than put off.
    Well as you say you don't handle your gun unless you are disarming it. It seems the majority of these people have these NDs when they are in the washroom. But what happens if your gun is faulty and it does go off becaause you banged it against a counter or door? While the chances are extremely remote it is still a possibility. But why not just ask them if they feel comfortable with you having a firearm in their house? I think most people are afraid to ask simply because they will be told, I would rather you weren't armed in my home, and they could not carry. But either way it is a lot more likely a gunshot will occur in a place with guns then in a place without guns and the homeowner should be able to say who has access to weapons in their own home and who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    How is a properly holstered gun going to hurt somebody. Negligent discharges do not occur in holsters.

As far as me becoming psychotic and killing them with my gun that can happen without my gun. Butcher block in the kitchen!!!

I am responsible for my gun. I'd rather leave it in my holster than in my vehicle while in thier home. If somebody breaks into my car and steals my gun I could have a murder on my conscious from the BG that stole my gun.

Last weekend in my town a drugged out parolee went to murder all his family. Went from house to house killing his parents, siblings, and children. At the third house the police finally caugh up to him and shot him dozens of times. I got to X-ray this jewel of society in the ER of our trauma center. You never know when of where your sidearm will be needed. That's why I always carry and never tell. In my job I see the worst of my community. I will not let my family fall victim to masses of criminals my state can't keep locked up.

For the good of all I always carry and never tell. Again, properly holstered and concealed nobody will be physically hurt or feel there rights violated as they won't know i'm carrying. If a situation dictates I unholster my firearm anti-gun or not at that moment I'm sure they would be glad I was carrying.
    Actually a ND can occur in a holster. If the holster isn't well taken care of or it gets caught on something, it can lead to a ND. Or you take your firearm out to use the restroom, which seems to be the most common time when it happens, and you are handling it.

And lets say you did go crazy and grabbed a knife from the butchers block, I could take out my ccw and fireback. But I also might not be armed. Eitehr way would you rather your opponent was armed with a gun or a knife? I expect you to tell me how you are going to get all ninja like with a knife but nevertheless I would rather they be armed with a knife as I would hopefully be able to put some distance between us.

What you would rather do is of no consequence on my property. I am sure you would feel just awful and terrible if they used your gun in a murder. I would not care, simply because I didn't murder anyone, they did. Would you feel just as bad if they broke into your car and stole the change to buy drugs which they then ODed on? Or sold to someone else who ODed on? Or bought a knife with and murdered someone?

What does a a parolee and you having to X-ray him at work have to do with you carrying on a friends property? So you always carry and never tell, that makes you awesome, but it is not relevant to the argument we are having. That is wonderful that you will defend your family and you deal with the worst of the community, but it is still not relevant. As you say properly holstered or feel their rights were violated, even though you are putting them at risk and violating their rights, they just don't know about it.

Have you informed your boss about your "Always Carry, Never Tell" philosophy? I assume not as the "never tell part" implies, but I don't understand the logic behind never telling. Would the bad guy you so heroically X-rayed last weekend know you were carrying? WOuldn't it be better if your boss knew so that he/she could know to get behind you and you would be able to defend them all from the bad guy?

Nobody is saying you cannot carry around town or anywhere else, just on their property which is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    No, I do not ask permission for something that is my God given right. Not of an entity, individual nor of a property owner. If that person has an aversion to the 2nd Amendment I swear I will never come to their rescue and will support their decision by watching them be victimized, but I will not allow that of myself nor loved one, nor innocent citizen.
    Exactly! We can have Voodoo ceremonies at matthew03's home whenever we want. The first Amendment guarantees it and it is our Papa-Doc given right to have them. And thanks for defending all of us and being the sheepdog out there who stands against all of the evils of the world. I am picturing you assault weapon in hand, sidearm open carried on your hip, just silhouetted against a dark sky watching over a city like Batman. I think I am going to write a screenplay....

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Thank you for carrying the burden of defending folks....must be a big responsibility Seriously, become a cop. On topic: If I know someone does not want me to carry (my dad and mom) then wife and I will keep it in the truck. That is respect. Yada yada "but they are not respecting my right to defend myself". I don't buy that with Mom and Dad. Mom brought me into this world so I can show her some respect in her house.
    Far from a wanabe cop here. I have stated on this forum before that in public if I had the chance to evade a threat that is what I would do. I don't feel the need to protect others. They had the right to carry themselfs and choose not to.

This is a slightly different situation. As I said previously home invasions are on the rise. One guy took out three homes and murdered all in my community last weekend. If my family had been over there for dinner or a gathering I would have had the ability to protect my family and im sure the others in the home would have been thankfull after the fact.

Most people around my community are oblivious the CC. They just wouldnt notice if the slight bulge in a pocket was a pistol or cell phone. IMO its to taboo and controversial to ask every person whos home I might enter how they feel about guns. Why bother just do your job and CC. If anybody was in my home and they unholstered thier weapon without my consent I would ask them to leave. If its concealed and holstered it all good.

I respect your opionion that you feel the need to brodcast that you CC. Please respect mine that I dont.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links