Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

This is a discussion on Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by archer51 Do you also ask if you can bring your pocket knife into their house also? What about a BIC lighter? Both ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 107
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

  1. #76
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Do you also ask if you can bring your pocket knife into their house also? What about a BIC lighter? Both are potentially dangerous.
    I think we both can agree that in terms of doing damage through negligence or accident, that a gun is probably going to out rank my pocket knife or a bic lighter? When was the last time you heard of someone accidently killing someone with a knife? Ok, when was the last time you heard of someone accidentally killing someone with a gun?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #77
    Member Array GetSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Actually a ND can occur in a holster. If the holster isn't well taken care of or it gets caught on something, it can lead to a ND. Or you take your firearm out to use the restroom, which seems to be the most common time when it happens, and you are handling it.

    And lets say you did go crazy and grabbed a knife from the butchers block, I could take out my ccw and fireback. But I also might not be armed. Eitehr way would you rather your opponent was armed with a gun or a knife? I expect you to tell me how you are going to get all ninja like with a knife but nevertheless I would rather they be armed with a knife as I would hopefully be able to put some distance between us.

    What you would rather do is of no consequence on my property. I am sure you would feel just awful and terrible if they used your gun in a murder. I would not care, simply because I didn't murder anyone, they did. Would you feel just as bad if they broke into your car and stole the change to buy drugs which they then ODed on? Or sold to someone else who ODed on? Or bought a knife with and murdered someone?

    What does a a parolee and you having to X-ray him at work have to do with you carrying on a friends property? So you always carry and never tell, that makes you awesome, but it is not relevant to the argument we are having. That is wonderful that you will defend your family and you deal with the worst of the community, but it is still not relevant. As you say properly holstered or feel their rights were violated, even though you are putting them at risk and violating their rights, they just don't know about it.

    Have you informed your boss about your "Always Carry, Never Tell" philosophy? I assume not as the "never tell part" implies, but I don't understand the logic behind never telling. Would the bad guy you so heroically X-rayed last weekend know you were carrying? WOuldn't it be better if your boss knew so that he/she could know to get behind you and you would be able to defend them all from the bad guy?

    Nobody is saying you cannot carry around town or anywhere else, just on their property which is reasonable.
    Its much simpler than all that. You carry how your lifes experiances and community dictacts and i'll carry how I see fit. luckily since there seems to be at least 1500 miles between us i'll never "infringe" upon your rights. You just never know when something bad will happen. still waiting on my crystal ball for Christmass, Untill then I will always carry,never tell.

  4. #78
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,796
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Far from a wanabe cop here. I have stated on this forum before that in public if I had the chance to evade a threat that is what I would do. I don't feel the need to protect others. They had the right to carry themselfs and choose not to.

    This is a slightly different situation. As I said previously home invasions are on the rise. One guy took out three homes and murdered all in my community last weekend. If my family had been over there for dinner or a gathering I would have had the ability to protect my family and im sure the others in the home would have been thankfull after the fact.

    Most people around my community are oblivious the CC. They just wouldnt notice if the slight bulge in a pocket was a pistol or cell phone. IMO its to taboo and controversial to ask every person whos home I might enter how they feel about guns. Why bother just do your job and CC. If anybody was in my home and they unholstered thier weapon without my consent I would ask them to leave. If its concealed and holstered it all good.

    I respect your opionion that you feel the need to brodcast that you CC. Please respect mine that I dont.
    Excuse me? Where in the world am I broadcasting I CC.....for your information my brother in law carries and my dad and mom know and they have told him no guns in the house. My Dad most likely suspects I do also but I have never told him. I don't carry in his house because his wishes are known to my family.

    Get your facts straight before you make a remark like that. And I do respect folks that respect the wishes of homeowners and families.....take that FWIW
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  5. #79
    Senior Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    694
    It appears that there are a lot of folks I dont have to worry about chillin with. I wouldnt feel comfortable around someone who wouldnt trust me in the first place. Friends trust each other. Yes, one has complete control over what others bring into their home. I would appreciate a sign or discussion before I came to visit so I know not to show up or turn around and leave before I enter. It most likely will not be a topic of discussion beforehand unless I do trust you. I know signs at the home are not required but they would be appreciated for those of us that wouldnt want to tread on the homeowners rights.
    OD* likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

  6. #80
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,077
    For a LOOOOONG time here on DC, My sig line was:

    "Carry Always Ne'er Tell... Are you carrying now? I CAN'T

    For the most part, I still feel that way....
    But, I don't go to the Post Office carrying concealed... I don't even use a drive up mailbox on P.O. property with a firearm in the car... It's illegal.

    I don't go to the courthouse (courtrooms at the very least) while carrying... as some local jurisdictions are breaking the State preemption law and posting gunbuster signs. I can't afford to be the test case.

    I don't carry on school property except as allowed by law.

    All that said... I said, "carry always, ne'er tell." I didn't say "carry always, never ASK."

    If I have a friend... a real friend... who is anti... I will not go armed if he/she is opposed to it... Out of RESPECT for the friendship. Could I? Sure. Would they ever know? Probably not. But, my personal code of ethics does not allow me to disrespect what friendship means... And while and acquaintance is a different animal, I also would not carry if they expressed an aversion to it, but they might never become friends... and I would probably not visit THEIR domain.
    Ogre likes this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.
    __________________________________________________
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams

  7. #81
    Member Array GetSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Excuse me? Where in the world am I broadcasting I CC.....for your information my brother in law carries and my dad and mom know and they have told him no guns in the house. My Dad most likely suspects I do also but I have never told him. I don't carry in his house because his wishes are known to my family.

    Get your facts straight before you make a remark like that. And I do respect folks that respect the wishes of homeowners and families.....take that FWIW
    No disrespect intended but thats how I see it. If close friends or family have wishes that you not carry thats great if you choose to honor thier wishes. There are other scenarios though, how do you handle those. Say your wife wants to go over for a dinner party at her friends, you dont know them. Do you annouce you are carrying? What if you are going to a friend of a friends house for a poker game. Do you announce?

    Further more do you respect gun buster signs? I don't. If its legal I carry. If i'm made and asked to leave I will.

    Thats what it all comes down to. Comply with the laws in your state. I would not want to put my right to carry on the line for one case of carrying but I will carry in ALL places legal.
    OD* likes this.

  8. #82
    GH
    GH is offline
    VIP Member Array GH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,176
    There's an old Military adage that goes something like this - "if you have to ask then expect the answer to be no".
    Glenn

    USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

  9. #83
    Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    S.W. VA
    Posts
    1,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Exactly! We can have Voodoo ceremonies at matthew03's home whenever we want. The first Amendment guarantees it and it is our Papa-Doc given right to have them. And thanks for defending all of us and being the sheepdog out there who stands against all of the evils of the world. I am picturing you assault weapon in hand, sidearm open carried on your hip, just silhouetted against a dark sky watching over a city like Batman. I think I am going to write a screenplay....
    Toorop, did you miss your meds today? Please refrain from psychosis while quoting me. Sheepdog? Not even close. Batman? Nope, my underwear is actually worn under my clothing and I prefer boxers. Thanks for the laugh and awkward personal insight into your psyche, albeit quite freaky. Take some time away from the bong maybe.

    To clarify what may be a little more than you can grasp in your delusional state, I prefer to remain armed and anonymous. If my response to the OP's post sounded like I am Mr. Cool Guy who protects society then I must have painted a picture that I did not intend. Good day sir.

  10. #84
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I think we both can agree that in terms of doing damage through negligence or accident, that a gun is probably going to out rank my pocket knife or a bic lighter? When was the last time you heard of someone accidently killing someone with a knife? Ok, when was the last time you heard of someone accidentally killing someone with a gun?
    I guess this is something we will just have to agree to disagree on. While I agree with your right to possibly not wanting someone bringing a weapon into your home. I don't think it is the person carrying the gun responsibility to ask. I feel it is the homeowners responsibility to make his feelings known.
    OD* likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  11. #85
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    15,721
    But you know you're armed, the homeowner may not. Why would someone think to ask everyone, "Are you armed?"

    wouldn't smoke in someone's house without asking, I wouldn't bring my dog into someone's house without asking, as well as a host of other things to which some homeowners may object.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  12. #86
    Ex Member Array dbglock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Durham, N.C.
    Posts
    278
    No, because they'd think I was a kook and would be highly insulted that I felt the need to be armed in their home.

  13. #87
    mkh
    mkh is offline
    Distinguished Member Array mkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Foxhole somewhere in Jacksonville
    Posts
    1,603
    No.

    My brother-in-law doesn't want guns in his house so I stayed away from family gatherings for a while. I saw no reason to compromise my beliefs in exchange for his.

    Now I go and carry anyway. Not sure if he knows or suspects but he hasn't said anything. When I go I usually pocket carry but sometimes I have come straight from a security gig and I am carrying OWB a full size weapon. If I go to other friends I depends on the friend as to how I carry. If I don't know their stand I'll pocket carry as it is less detectable. If I know they carry then I just carry my normal method on my hip.

  14. #88
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    I do not ask, because they do not need to know that I even have a firearm on me. If it were to become known and they asked me not to, then I would just no longer go to their property. They have a right to make their own rules, but I don't need to tell them about the spare tire or gas can or tool box in my trunk, so why would it be different for this tool?
    Walk softly ...

  15. #89
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    I have never asked permission to do something that is totally legal for me to do. It is not required in my state and that's all anyone needs to know. The only people who has ever seen my gun when I was in their home were fellow "gun people" who asked what kind of gun I had with me today. No one else has ever had a clue I was packing.

    Secondly, what type of person would not allow you (a law abiding, licensed ccw holder) to carry a gun in their home? Either a person who believes you are an irresponsible and reckless person (in which case, maybe they know something about you based on your prior behavior). Or the type of person who is totally clueless and harbors an irrational fear regarding firearms (in which case, their ignorance and gun phobia isn't really my problem).

    If you are unfortunate enough to live in a state which the law requires you to ask permission from every clueless idiot before going into their home, then it sucks to be you.

    If you feel compelled (for whatever reason) to inform everyone whose home you enter, then by all means, ask permission. But don't come whine to us when someone says "I don't trust you with that nasty gun in my home."
    ccw9mm and Spirit51 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  16. #90
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,755
    Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    No, because they'd think I was a kook and would be highly insulted that I felt the need to be armed in their home.
    , very likely.

    Of course, such people only consider the destination as the sole point of the exercise, completely ignoring heading to, coming from, and all points in between. It's why we go armed, of course, since it's never known when or where the S is going to HTF.

    If they could get this through their heads, anti's and knee-jerkers might be a bit more appreciative of the advantage being armed affords.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ask permission to carry in someone's home
,
can one carry a handgun inside someone's home not theirs in michigan
,
concealed carry at friends or relatives, defensivecarry
,
concealed carry friend's home california
,
does your family know you conceal carry
,
family finds out you conceal carry forum
,
family know you carry
,
friends wife conceal carry house
,
how to conceal a gun from a family member
,
i don't want family member to carry a gun inside my home
,

should you ask friends to conceal carry into their homes

Click on a term to search for related topics.