Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes - Page 7

Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

This is a discussion on Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't ask. If someone close to me knows I carry, they assume I'm armed when I'm at their house. If they have an issue ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 107
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

  1. #91
    Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,153
    I don't ask. If someone close to me knows I carry, they assume I'm armed when I'm at their house. If they have an issue with it, they tell me and I comply. Only one person so far has asked me not to carry in their house and I don't carry there. All others either know and don't mind or don't know (the more common case).
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

    “The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand


  2. #92
    Member Array Badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    310
    I don't ask. It is not about there rights or my rights, or at least I not think of it like that. It is just part of my everyday dress and I would no more ask to wear my gun than I would to wear underwear. That are never going to see either one so what's the difference?

    That said I have never felt the need to carry at friends or family any more than I feel he need to carry at home. 99% of the time my gun remains in the car right were it rides when I drive. You guys must have some kind of friends and family if you need to be armed at the family BBQ
    ccw9mm likes this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

  3. #93
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,011
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    It's my belief that.. your rights extend only up to, and until, you infringe upon the rights of others.
    Absolutely.

    A resident certainly has every right to ask questions of or grill anyone, ahead of time. But that doesn't mean there's any responsibility by a visitor to divulge anything ahead of time (leastwise, in states that don't legally demand it). Doesn't trump anyone's rights.
    Bark'n and Spirit51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  4. #94
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post

    That said I have never felt the need to carry at friends or family any more than I feel he need to carry at home. 99% of the time my gun remains in the car right were it rides when I drive. You guys must have some kind of friends and family if you need to be armed at the family BBQ
    You must have one hell of a crystal ball. (And I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong by leaving your gun in your car. I'm just saying, there's no way of knowing when or where you will need your gun).

    I believe it was just last year where a US Naval officer was attending a private party at a friends house when two men (complete strangers to everyone) just happened to break in for a "home invasion robbery." He shot one of them, and saved everyone from the likely carnage. He was the only one armed at the party, except for the bad guys. (I'm looking for the source, but I know there was a thread on it here).

    I know I would sure hate to die in a similar situation knowing as I took my last breath that my gun was sitting in the glovebox of my car.

    Or when Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp watched both her parents slaughtered along with 21 other people killed at Luby's Cafeteria while she was helpless because she left her gun in the car.

    Spirit51 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  5. #95
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    You guys must have some kind of friends and family if you need to be armed at the family BBQ
    AT the barbeque isn't the point. Being an accessible and/or visible target of opportunity is. And that occurs irrespective of venue, time of day, other guests. Last I checked, grandma's back yard isn't secured from any criminal who has the gumption to enter, anymore than anyone else's yard.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  6. #96
    CJM
    CJM is offline
    Member Array CJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Where Bloomberg hasn't taken over yet
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Well as you say you don't handle your gun unless you are disarming it. It seems the majority of these people have these NDs when they are in the washroom. But what happens if your gun is faulty and it does go off becaause you banged it against a counter or door? While the chances are extremely remote it is still a possibility. But why not just ask them if they feel comfortable with you having a firearm in their house? I think most people are afraid to ask simply because they will be told, I would rather you weren't armed in my home, and they could not carry. But either way it is a lot more likely a gunshot will occur in a place with guns then in a place without guns and the homeowner should be able to say who has access to weapons in their own home and who doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Actually a ND can occur in a holster. If the holster isn't well taken care of or it gets caught on something, it can lead to a ND. Or you take your firearm out to use the restroom, which seems to be the most common time when it happens, and you are handling it.

    And lets say you did go crazy and grabbed a knife from the butchers block, I could take out my ccw and fireback. But I also might not be armed. Eitehr way would you rather your opponent was armed with a gun or a knife? I expect you to tell me how you are going to get all ninja like with a knife but nevertheless I would rather they be armed with a knife as I would hopefully be able to put some distance between us.

    What you would rather do is of no consequence on my property. I am sure you would feel just awful and terrible if they used your gun in a murder. I would not care, simply because I didn't murder anyone, they did. Would you feel just as bad if they broke into your car and stole the change to buy drugs which they then ODed on? Or sold to someone else who ODed on? Or bought a knife with and murdered someone?

    What does a a parolee and you having to X-ray him at work have to do with you carrying on a friends property? So you always carry and never tell, that makes you awesome, but it is not relevant to the argument we are having. That is wonderful that you will defend your family and you deal with the worst of the community, but it is still not relevant. As you say properly holstered or feel their rights were violated, even though you are putting them at risk and violating their rights, they just don't know about it.

    Have you informed your boss about your "Always Carry, Never Tell" philosophy? I assume not as the "never tell part" implies, but I don't understand the logic behind never telling. Would the bad guy you so heroically X-rayed last weekend know you were carrying? WOuldn't it be better if your boss knew so that he/she could know to get behind you and you would be able to defend them all from the bad guy?

    Nobody is saying you cannot carry around town or anywhere else, just on their property which is reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Exactly! We can have Voodoo ceremonies at matthew03's home whenever we want. The first Amendment guarantees it and it is our Papa-Doc given right to have them. And thanks for defending all of us and being the sheepdog out there who stands against all of the evils of the world. I am picturing you assault weapon in hand, sidearm open carried on your hip, just silhouetted against a dark sky watching over a city like Batman. I think I am going to write a screenplay....
    Every time I read one of your posts, it seems like I'm reading some incoherent rambling from Carolyn McCarthy or Mayor Bloomberg. You seem to argue on behalf of the opposing side of gun rights rather than for them.
    Spirit51 likes this.

  7. #97
    Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    S.W. VA
    Posts
    1,823
    ^^^^^
    Agreed CJM, mental illness is so sad.

  8. #98
    Member Array Badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    AT the barbeque isn't the point. Being an accessible and/or visible target of opportunity is. And that occurs irrespective of venue, time of day, other guests. Last I checked, grandma's back yard isn't secured from any criminal who has the gumption to enter, anymore than anyone else's yard.
    Sorry the day grandmas back yard ain't safe is the day I move. Doom and gloom, doom and gloom.
    I guess I am just more reasonable and don't live my live worrying about a one in a million happening. I will take the chance that I will never in my lifetime meet my fait sitting in my friends living room, but that's me. If you are that worried that grandma is going to have a home invasion while you are visiting by all means have at. Hell mount a holster on your crapper because you never know.
    Just because I feel safe taking a dump without a gun or not carrying at a friends house doesn't make me right, but it sure as hell doesn't make you right. Why do you feel the need to prove me wrong in your eyes?
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

  9. #99
    Member Array Badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You must have one hell of a crystal ball. (And I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong by leaving your gun in your car. I'm just saying, there's no way of knowing when or where you will need your gun).

    I believe it was just last year where a US Naval officer was attending a private party at a friends house when two men (complete strangers to everyone) just happened to break in for a "home invasion robbery." He shot one of them, and saved everyone from the likely carnage. He was the only one armed at the party, except for the bad guys. (I'm looking for the source, but I know there was a thread on it here).

    I know I would sure hate to die in a similar situation knowing as I took my last breath that my gun was sitting in the glovebox of my car.

    Or when Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp watched both her parents slaughtered along with 21 other people killed at Luby's Cafeteria while she was helpless because she left her gun in the car.

    Why would anyone leave their gun I the car while at a restaurant?

    As to the party, a source would be nice. I am pretty sure I never said anything about not carrying at a party. A large group of people, alcohol, yeah that's a place I am likely to be armed and why I don't go to bars since I cannot carry there.

    I never know when lightening is going to strike, but in what I deem safe enough situations I still go out in the rain.

    The fun thing about this board is you make a statement answering a question and everyone is quick to tell you why you are wrong.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

  10. #100
    CJM
    CJM is offline
    Member Array CJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Where Bloomberg hasn't taken over yet
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    Why would anyone leave their gun I the car while at a restaurant?
    She was obeying TX law at the time. She was very instrumental in getting TX law changed.

  11. #101
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    Why would anyone leave their gun I the car while at a restaurant?
    You may have missed it, but if you were familiar with the story or paid close attention to the video, you would have found out the reason she left her gun in the car because she was abiding by the "Gun Buster" sign on the door. Her whole point is the absolute ridiculousness of having gun buster signs in the first place. They stop no crime and only prevent law abiding citizens their right to protect themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    As to the party, a source would be nice. I am pretty sure I never said anything about not carrying at a party. A large group of people, alcohol, yeah that's a place I am likely to be armed and why I don't go to bars since I cannot carry there.
    The party was totally irrelavent to the armed home invasion, as was the fact there was alcohol there. It was not some large gathering of people. More like an intimate dinner party with maybe 8 or 10 people there. The point was the fact that the armed naval officer was at a friends house when an armed home invasion occurred. The perpetrators had no idea there was a party going or, that they even cared. The point was the navy officer was at a private residence (not his own) when a random life threatening criminal act occurred.

    From the sound of your responses, I really don't think whether I provide a source for you or not would have any impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    I never know when lightening is going to strike, but in what I deem safe enough situations I still go out in the rain.

    The fun thing about this board is you make a statement answering a question and everyone is quick to tell you why you are wrong.
    As a matter of fact, I made it quite clear I wasn't saying you are wrong by leaving your gun in your car,

    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    (And I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong by leaving your gun in your car. I'm just saying, there's no way of knowing when or where you will need your gun).
    I was merely pointing out that there is no way you will ever know when or where you are going to need your gun. The arguments you make are the same arguments all "part time" carriers try to make. It's a flawed argument, but it's your choice to make just as it's your life to gamble with.

    Karma (or fate as some people prefer) is a strange thing. It seems that when you are away from home, the one remote time you'll ever possibly need your gun is going to be the one time you don't have your gun with you. It was certainly the case with Dr. Hupp when both her parents and 21 other people were gunned down by a madman at Luby's Cafeteria.

    I choose to minimize that equation by carrying full time, all the time, wherever it's legal to do so. Once you make a commitment to carry all the time, it's just like putting on your shoes in the morning. Not everyone is willing to make that kind of commitment. Some people are willing to gamble with their lives more than I'm willing to do so. I try to gamble with my life as little as possible. But I deal with street crime and violence more than most people do. For most people, acts of violence, murder and assault is more of an abstract concept rather than a real life thing because they've never witnessed or been touched by it in real life before.

    It is an intersting signature line you have though.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  12. #102
    Member Array Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    No, I do not ask permission for something that is my God given right. Not of an entity, individual nor of a property owner. If that person has an aversion to the 2nd Amendment I swear I will never come to their rescue and will support their decision by watching them be victimized, but I will not allow that of myself nor loved one, nor innocent citizen.
    Sorry but the Second Ammendment only applies to the government, not individuals. A person cannot violate your Second Ammendment rights because the Bill of Rights entire do NOT limit them! I get SOOOO tired of people thinking that "Person A, Business X, and Property Owner Y" violated their Second Ammendment rights becuase they don't want firearms on thier property. Guess what, the 2nd does NOT apply to them, it is THEIR property, you are NOT forced to be on their property, you can leave, they can FORBID anything they want on their property. I forbid Alcohol on my property, I forbid anyone other than friends and family from carrying firearms on my property. If I find a gun on someones person I will draw on them and hold them until the police show up, I will then work my hardest to get them prosecuted not for trespassing, but for attempted murder. You wanna carry on MY property, YOU BETTER ASK first.

  13. #103
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Sorry but the Second Ammendment only applies to the government, not individuals. A person cannot violate your Second Ammendment rights because the Bill of Rights entire do NOT limit them! I get SOOOO tired of people thinking that "Person A, Business X, and Property Owner Y" violated their Second Ammendment rights becuase they don't want firearms on thier property. Guess what, the 2nd does NOT apply to them, it is THEIR property, you are NOT forced to be on their property, you can leave, they can FORBID anything they want on their property. I forbid Alcohol on my property, I forbid anyone other than friends and family from carrying firearms on my property. If I find a gun on someones person I will draw on them and hold them until the police show up, I will then work my hardest to get them prosecuted not for trespassing, but for attempted murder. You wanna carry on MY property, YOU BETTER ASK first.
    Okay... lemme know how that attempted murder thing works out for you. That was a good one.
    Civil_Response, OD* and Spirit51 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  14. #104
    Member Array Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    This is a slightly different situation. As I said previously home invasions are on the rise. One guy took out three homes and murdered all in my community last weekend. If my family had been over there for dinner or a gathering I would have had the ability to protect my family and im sure the others in the home would have been thankfull after the fact.
    Ummmm perhaps NOT, if I were the host, and someone opened fire in my house, that I did not KNOW was a carrier (because they ASKED first); they would likely be shot by ME; I do not know your proficiency with a firearm, I do not know your competence/fire-discipline either, I dang sure would be peeved if some yayhoo who thought they were Billy-Bad-Butt and shot one of my loved ones because they were trigger happy, etc.

  15. #105
    Member Array Spovik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    293
    I don't understand how this topic has devolved. It's neither about pushing a pro-carry stance on a property owner who doesn't want to allow it, nor is it a topic to try and change their minds and I see very few people who are advocating that their right is more important than the property owners.

    If you want to ensure no one ever carries, let them know, put up a sign, ask. The law clearly gives me permission to carry a concealed firearm and it outlines where I cannot. The same law gives property owners the right to deny my right to carry on their property. If that is your choice, feel free to put up a sign, or make your wishes clear in some other reasonable way, such as telling your visitor if you feel that strongly about it.

    But seriously? Drawing on someone? Attempted murder? Time to recheck the concealed carry mindset I think.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ask permission to carry in someone's home
,
can one carry a handgun inside someone's home not theirs in michigan
,
concealed carry at friends or relatives, defensivecarry
,
concealed carry friend's home california
,
does your family know you conceal carry
,
family finds out you conceal carry forum
,
family know you carry
,
friends wife conceal carry house
,
how to conceal a gun from a family member
,
i don't want family member to carry a gun inside my home
,
should i carry a gun while inside my home
,

should you ask friends to conceal carry into their homes

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors