Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

This is a discussion on Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CorneredCat.com has a good write up on this topic, but thought I'd pose the question here: Do you ask family and friends if you could ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

Ask family/friends if you can carry in their homes

CorneredCat.com has a good write up on this topic, but thought I'd pose the question here:

Do you ask family and friends if you could carry inside their house, or on their property? Why or why not?

I heard this discussed in a local gun shop earlier this week, where everyone involved in the discussion said "no, because I don't need to." One man did explain that, when he first began carrying, he asked his father-in-law out of respect, and his father-in-law told him no, he couldn't carry on his property. Eventually, the man said, he won his father-in-law over by taking him to the range and showing him how safe modern firearms are, etc.

2. Remove Ads

Nope. Some know, some don't, and I don't advertise the fact that I'm armed.
    rigel42, joker1, BkCo1 and 1 others like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Do I ask? No!
    No law (in FL) requires that I ask, why bring up the subject?
    I don't do a lot of visiting...
    Besides, I don't visit where that would be a problem anyway.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Always carry, Never tell.

If you do your job and conceal correctly what they dont know won't hurt them. If they found out and had a problem with it I would no longer visit thier property. Thats just me. I wont compromise on some things. CC is just a part of who I am and I expect friends/family to respect my right to it.
    Yetiman, NewtownSam and accessbob like this.

VIP Member
    No. Why should I?
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

VIP Member
    IT would depend on where they live. Some states require you to have homeowners permission. I believe SC is one of them. If state law doesn't require it, don't bring it up.
    Last edited by archer51; December 13th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Thunder71 and oneshot like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Nope, not until my Great Aunt Tillie's house is declared The Apple Pie National Park and I am then subject to Federal Regulation! Don't ask, don't tell...(ya' big sthweetie)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I don't ask. I assume they have no problem with my 2A right until they say they do. If I ever do get "made" by someone I visit, I'll just ask them why it's an issue today when I've been carrying at their property plenty of times without incident.

Short answer: NO

Long Answer: Absolutely not
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Yes I do. While I have the right to carry if I want to they have the right to not have guns in their house if they don't want them there. I do not want anyone taking my rights away. I sure don't see where I have the right to take their rights away in their own home. I do not have to go to their home if they don't want me to carry. Be very careful people. We seem to think our rights are all that matter.
    usmcj, blitzburgh, Rollo and 6 others like this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

No. Why?
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

I don't ask. Most of my friends carry and know I am armed. Those that don't know I do not want them to know that I carry because I don't trust them with that knowledge. Also it avoids bad discussions.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Do I ask? No!
    No law (in FL) requires that I ask, why bring up the subject?
    I don't do a lot of visiting...
    Besides, I don't visit where that would be a problem anyway.
    According to Handgunlaw.us it is indeed illegal to carry a ccw into a private residence w/o the owners permission in South Carolina.
    "Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License. Carrying concealed weapons into residences or dwellings. No person who holds a permit issued
    pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may carry a concealable weapon into the residence or dwelling place of another person without the express permission of the owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate."

I discovered that nugget while familiarizing myself on laws in states I visit or travel through regularly. Personally I don't ask but won't violate the law or carry into a home where I can reasonably expect the owner to be anti.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    Yes I do. While I have the right to carry if I want to they have the right to not have guns in their house if they don't want them there. I do not want anyone taking my rights away. I sure don't see where I have the right to take their rights away in their own home. I do not have to go to their home if they don't want me to carry. Be very careful people. We seem to think our rights are all that matter.
    Always carry,Never tell!!!!

Why even bring the issue up? Seems confrontational to me. If you conceal how will they know you are carrying? Most people are not that observant IMO. I'm not going to unholster my weapon in thier home,but I wont disarm either. I dont see it as "infringing" upon thier rights. Honestly, we all have secrets and you would be surprised by what you dont know about most of those close to you.

Asking family and friends to carry in their homes would be like going into a shopping mall and asking the mall manager if it were ok to carry. The whole point of a Concealed License is to keep in Concealed, out of sight and out of mind.

I carry where ever the law permits and I am constantly Diligent keeping my sidearm hidden and tucked away from ALL at ALL times.
    boricua likes this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links