Welcome to your local American Legion! - Page 2

Welcome to your local American Legion!

This is a discussion on Welcome to your local American Legion! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My post in Ohio is not posted, but we cannot carry in places where alcohol is served....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My post in Ohio is not posted, but we cannot carry in places where alcohol is served.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Most of these posts operate as "private clubs" for the current members. They don't want any newbies.
    I don't belong to a single post club or Vet organization for that reason.
    Screw them. Their members are getting old. Soon they'll all die off.

Just a little bitterness here.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    Tank Soldier, that is simply not true. I know of two Jews in my post. There was a Hindu, but he moved to Texas.

Air Force Shooter, I don't really agree. Most posts recruit very hard trying to get new members. In fact, there are rewards given to the posts that recruit the most new members.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Well it sure didn't sell in the New York Posts.
    I got told by one President (VFW) "we don't need losers" He was referring to Viet Nam vets.edit. This was 1968
    Yes, that's a quote.
    No, I didn't hit him.

AFS
    Last edited by AirForceShooter; October 12th, 2006 at 02:21 PM.

Air Force Shooter, You have the patience of a Saint, God help me I
    think I WOULD have hit him.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Red face VN Losers

Put up with the same crap from 9th Inf Div vet orgs (WWII). Said they didn't want us cause we lost the war. They can kiss my Greek-American @ss. Bitterness is not a strong enough word for the way I feel. BacSi
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.-George Orwell

Just Received a Letter...

from the local Am Vets. The letter has been sitting on the table for a couple of days now and I was thinking a little about it. After reading this thread, I just pitched all of their 'invitation'.

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My intent when first starting this thread was about posting issues. But, since the thread has drifted a bit, I'll go with the flow...heh.

These days, folks don't fully understand it when I tell them that most returning Vietnam vets were not "joiners" when it came to VFW, American Legion, etc. Personally, I got a rude welcome at a VFW, since I wasn't "in the big one in '42" and had delivered them a "lost war". Oh, and let's not forget the "baby killer" jokes. The list goes on.

As it turned out a few years ago, Disabled American Veterans (DAV) was helpful with my claim with Veterans Affairs (VA), so I hold them in high regard.

From what I've read, veterans organizations are busily trying to win members from Vietnam and later vets, since as the WWII and Korean War vets die off, they need our wallets. For me it's way too late--I was insulted in 1970, never had anything close to an apology, so I now refuse to consider joining the same organization. I wish it had worked out differently, but it didn't, and it was not by my choosing.

Now, back on track...why is it that an organization representing those who bore arms to win the freedoms we now enjoy would take away our right to bear arms by posting their facility!? I realize that there is no good answer for that, but it was the question on my mind when I made the initial post, so forgive me if I simply raised a frustrating point.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; October 12th, 2006 at 09:08 PM.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I just talked about this same sort of thing on the Xdtalk forum. It's a damn shame this is true.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24272

Assistant Administrator
    why is it that an organization representing those who bore arms to win the freedoms we now enjoy would take away our right to bear arms by posting their facility!?
    Can we say insidious progression of (relative) peacetime liberalism?

I know folks from the local outfit here and while some (a few left) older WWII vets are on committee, seems too younger guys are there too and maybe influence this sort of policy-making.

It does of course represent the total antithesis of what fighting for freedoms is all about
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

He wasn't worth it.
    So much for the Greatest Generation.

AFS

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I've spoked to repersentatives of both the AL and VFW on post at Ft Carson after I returned from Iraq this most recent time. At least one of the applications, and I believe both, required you to attest to a faith in God or something similar.

I can't find that on the online versions of the applications, so perhaps they have changed them recently or perhaps the guy was using old applications... but it was definitely there.

EDIT: Here is a reference to the requirement being removed from the VFW application. It would have been around April 2004 that I saw the reference, so it looks like the VFW rep was using old applications:

http://www.maaf.info/news.html

MAAF, 24 JAN 04 - MAAF has seen its VFW campaign to a successful conclusion. there is no long any reference to God on the VFW membership application. Atheist veterans can now join with a clear conscience. We thank the VFW and hope they will continue to serve all veterans honorably. http://www.vfw.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Tank Soldier, that is simply not true. I know of two Jews in my post. There was a Hindu, but he moved to Texas.

Air Force Shooter, I don't really agree. Most posts recruit very hard trying to get new members. In fact, there are rewards given to the posts that recruit the most new members.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

It's unfortunate that individual American Legion posts choose to be so out of touch with the message that the national organization has been working hard to deliver. Two examples of the American Legion's pro-gun position:

The October 2004 issue of The American Legion magazine included an article "The Case for Self-Protection" by noted pro-gun advocate Joyce Lee Malcolm. The article examines the genesis and results of Great Britain's disastrous gun ban.

The January 2006 issue of The American Legion magazine included Dave Grossman's classic treatise, "Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs."

I'm a Viet Nam-era veteran, and proudly belong to several veterans' organizations (American Legion, AmVets, and VVA). I have found, at least on the national level, the American Legion is leading the way with a very pro-CCW message.

We can refuse to join, wait until the anti-gun ******** die off, or join in numbers large enough to wrest control away from those who have forgotten the important things in life.

Tanksoldier I used to be a member of the American Legion in fountain,Co. post 38. I know that there were no questions asked about faith or I would not have joined. The big reason I joined there was because of the American Legion Riders they do a lot for the veterans and are active in the veterans rides including the Cripple Creek POW/MIA run. If you ride you might want to check into it, if it weren't for the rider's though I would never have joined.
    911 Government sponsored dial a prayer!

Eh screw them If I want to drink with mostly civilians by that I mean social members that are able to join because of their daddys sacrifices.They have NO idea what its like or means to put on a uniform and answer this Countrys call.Most are anti-gun,anti military;THEN I'll just go to a regular bar.Its pretty bad when they cater to their social members instead of the military man that they were formed to serve...END OF RANT
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links